The Mondraker Dune XR Build.

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Sold a few bikes and began collecting parts, that can only mean one thing! A new bike is on the way!

Spec will be:

Frame: 2016 Mondraker Dune XR carbon medium,
Fork: 2016 Fox 36 RC2 Kashima,
Shock: Fox Float X2 shock,
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb stealth 150mm
Saddle: Fizik Gobi M1 Braided carbon
Rear mech: XTR M9000
Shifter: XTR M9000 I-Spec
Chain: XX1
Cassette: XX1
Chainset: RaceFace SixC Cinch
Chainring: Absolute black 34 tooth elliptical
Bottom bracket: RaceFace Cinch 30mm BSA
Brakes: XTR M9020
Rotors: Icetech 203/180mm
Stem: Onoff Stoic FG 30mm
Bars: RaceFace SixC 800mm
Headset: FSA No42
Grips: Renthal Soft lock on

Wheelset 1
Hubs: Chris King
Rims: Enve M70Thirty
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Tyres: Maxxis High Roller II's

Wheelset 2
Hubs: Chris King
Rims: Derby AM carbon
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHR's

Wheelset 3
Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo 40T
Rims: Light Bicycle hookless carbon
Spokes: Pillar aero psr x-tra
Tyres: Maxxis Shorty's

DACDE78F-B0C1-4C05-AB3C-8ACD2B4A0D12.jpg
4328B717-3F75-4DFA-B65B-A4F9F1705601.jpg
Girth on these!
FE94C195-10A5-4707-A40B-9F7C51CF13A9.jpg
9FA3E9EF-EA6E-4C1B-AB5C-871C6BC76F55.jpg
6900EB94-2CEF-4C30-9529-388DA4A272E7.jpg

Comments

• John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    Whatever it is, looking forward to seeing it already :)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Seeing as most of your MTB builds tend to be what I either already or want to own, I'm guessing a Mondraker :lol:
  • Dick Scruttock
    Seeing as most of your MTB builds tend to be what I either already or want to own, I'm guessing a Mondraker :lol:

:lol::lol: I said I'd never own one and I'm still a little worried! The thing is as soon as I saw that Dune XR I had to own one! Really like the fact they have moved over to collet axles like SC on the lower pivots, larger bearings and the lifetime warranty too.

I'm sure we will get on very very well. Once I have a few miles on it as long as I am happy I will move the Nomad along. I love it and its been a amazing bike but it just feels a little short, if I had a large it might feel better but even then a XL Nomad is still shorter reach wise than the Medium Dune.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Will be quite a change from the Nomad for sure but good fun if you get it working for you.

See you got the Derby Rims in the end. Did you ride them on the Nomad or freshly built?
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Something ****** expensive, that's my guess! :wink: Whatever it is it's going to be a sweet build, I do hope it's a Mondraker.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Dick Scruttock
    Will be quite a change from the Nomad for sure but good fun if you get it working for you.

See you got the Derby Rims in the end. Did you ride them on the Nomad or freshly built?

Nope not ridden them yet, they are waiting for the Mond. They have replaced the ENVE AM's I had, I have to say I'm impressed with the finish of them. They are very wide though so its going to be interesting to see how they feel.
  • BloggingFit

Nope not ridden them yet, they are waiting for the Mond. They have replaced the ENVE AM's I had, I have to say I'm impressed with the finish of them. They are very wide though so its going to be interesting to see how they feel.
    Are they the 40mm? I have 35mm on the Nomad and they feel fine with the Minions. Plus you'll be ok when the 2.5 Minions are released.
  • lawman

:lol::lol: I said I'd never own one and I'm still a little worried! The thing is as soon as I saw that Dune XR I had to own one! Really like the fact they have moved over to collet axles like SC on the lower pivots, larger bearings and the lifetime warranty too.

I'm sure we will get on very very well. Once I have a few miles on it as long as I am happy I will move the Nomad along. I love it and its been a amazing bike but it just feels a little short, if I had a large it might feel better but even then a XL Nomad is still shorter reach wise than the Medium Dune.

The pivots on my Foxy have largely been fine, had to tighten a few but keeping an eye on them and will probably throw a load of loctite on the bolts when I strip her down somewhere down the line.

Forward Geometry takes some getting used to, it's ALOT different in how you have to ride. IMO they're light years ahead of pretty much anything else out there ATM, they climb and descend so well it's insane!
  • Dick Scruttock

Are they the 40mm? I have 35mm on the Nomad and they feel fine with the Minions. Plus you'll be ok when the 2.5 Minions are released.

Yep 40mm external and 34mm internal.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200

Well, you're brave! Everyone I know who rides who has had a Mondraker (who isn't associated with the brand!) has had a lot of hassle with their bike, from silly little recurring issues to fairly terminal ones. none of them ride them any more :mrgreen:

Derby rims are great though, I have a fairly unique set of slightly slimmer 35mm OD rims that replaced a cracked pair, they have been raced on for a year now, including 2 weeks in the Alps, another 2 in Whistler & although looking a bit battle scarred, they haven't needed anything. Got a few months in Canada coming up so we shall see how they cope with that.

I expect the 40's will ride a bit different, but I didn't want, or need that width - i'm not convinced there is any real benefit to going bigger than 28-30mm on the ID.

Are you putting the 11-6 on it?
  • Dick Scruttock

Well, you're brave! Everyone I know who rides who has had a Mondraker (who isn't associated with the brand!) has had a lot of hassle with their bike, from silly little recurring issues to fairly terminal ones. none of them ride them any more :mrgreen:

Derby rims are great though, I have a fairly unique set of slightly slimmer 35mm OD rims that replaced a cracked pair, they have been raced on for a year now, including 2 weeks in the Alps, another 2 in Whistler & although looking a bit battle scarred, they haven't needed anything. Got a few months in Canada coming up so we shall see how they cope with that.

I expect the 40's will ride a bit different, but I didn't want, or need that width - i'm not convinced there is any real benefit to going bigger than 28-30mm on the ID.

Are you putting the 11-6 on it?

It was either a custom Nicolai or this and this won! If it proves a pain then I will move it on and get the Nicolai.

Nope I have sold the 11-6 so I will be running either the Float X2 it comes with or a new Float X depending on how it pedals. I'm not sure if the 11-6 would fit on this was the reason, it would also need a retune and the nomad might be sold soon meant I was better to let it go. I was out on the Nomad with the monarch the other day for the first time since selling the 11-6, it does not feel as good but I'd also say it definately feels lighter to ride with the air shock on. Maybe that's down to the fact I had not ridden it in a while though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking forward to this in an abstract kind of way as it's almost certainly nothing I would build for myself!

How come Shimano can even make an XTR box look sexy?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You sir have too much surplus income!!! (He says almost crying tears of jealousy).
  • Dick Scruttock
    You sir have too much surplus income!!! (He says almost crying tears of jealousy).

LOL thanks!

I'm making the most of it before the GF becomes my Wife and the bike money becomes mortgage money :cry: Done a deal with her though that when we are married I will be having a VW Transporter Sportline and she can have a Evoque :oops:
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    nice project you got started there :!:
    I'm making the most of it before the GF becomes my Wife and the bike money becomes mortgage money Done a deal with her though that when we are married I will be having a VW Transporter Sportline and she can have a Evoque

Why don't you get a better GF and be done with, hum? :twisted:
    Bikes don't moan or get cranky, and costs less in the long run...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • BloggingFit
    nice project you got started there :!:
    I'm making the most of it before the GF becomes my Wife and the bike money becomes mortgage money Done a deal with her though that when we are married I will be having a VW Transporter Sportline and she can have a Evoque

Why don't you get a better GF and be done with, hum? :twisted:
    Bikes don't moan or get cranky, and costs less in the long run...
    I think his GF is pretty low maintenance. That's why he's getting a Dune to restore the balance :D
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Nope I have sold the 11-6 so I will be running either the Float X2 it comes with or a new Float X depending on how it pedals. I'm not sure if the 11-6 would fit on this was the reason, it would also need a retune and the nomad might be sold soon meant I was better to let it go. I was out on the Nomad with the monarch the other day for the first time since selling the 11-6, it does not feel as good but I'd also say it definitely feels lighter to ride with the air shock on. Maybe that's down to the fact I had not ridden it in a while though.

I've been running an X2 for a while now (air) and can probably say it's the best shock i've ever used, which includes most high end coil stuff too. I'd have thought as a dual link design it should pedal well enough without the need for a lockout. it weighs near on the same as the Float X as well.

But then it's a slightly more refined & updated version of the CCDB Air - so it should be good really.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Good call, been running Mondrakers since 2010 with no issues, and the mrs has a foxy all been solid and dependable.

Love my dune xr(not a carbon dude here) and it is the most solid no nonsense well handling bike I've ever ridden! excited to see.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Few more parts:
    C558B5CF-37A8-42FA-AFBC-01ACBB6215EA.jpg
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    This is already looking awesome and i can't wait to see it completed :) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • John Wh
    Have you ran a SixC at 800mm before? I's on the shortlist for my Stumpy, but I'm worried that it might feel too wide. I had a Nukeproof 760mm bar on my old Voodoo and loved the wider bar.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Have you ran a SixC at 800mm before? I's on the shortlist for my Stumpy, but I'm worried that it might feel too wide. I had a Nukeproof 760mm bar on my old Voodoo and loved the wider bar.

No but I do have a 800mm Enve DH bar on my Nomad. Felt wide at first but you soon get used to it and now I'm not sure I'd ride anything narrower than 760mm.
  • John Wh
    Cheers Dick for the insight. Now get this bike built so we can all ogle it :)
  • Dick Scruttock
    Slight change on the saddle. I have sent the SDG back as the yellow won't match the frame and I have ordered a Fizik Gobi M1 braided carbon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yellow....Hmm thinking Knolly here......Nukeproof would be too easy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Yellow....Hmm thinking Knolly here......Nukeproof would be too easy.

Nukeproof would be too mundane!

But I think he is pretty clear already that its a Mondraker....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The new Dune is available in blue/yellow.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Dick Scruttock

Yep its a Dune XR frame I'm waiting for. Been told I might not see it until September now though :cry:
  • lawman

Yep its a Dune XR frame I'm waiting for. Been told I might not see it until September now though :cry:

XR frames and full and full bikes are being held up with production for the Fox shock, the dune R and RR which use a monarch of float X should be here by the end of July
  • Dick Scruttock

XR frames and full and full bikes are being held up with production for the Fox shock, the dune R and RR which use a monarch of float X should be here by the end of July

Yep been told that too. What a shitter :cry: