Tour de France 2015: Stage 12 **Spoiler**

milton50
milton50 Posts: 3,856
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Lannemezan to Plateau de Beille (195k)

Anyone else think that based purely on difficulty this is the queen stage? I don't think Sky will work to bring a breakaway back but if it does come back together I don't think Froome will just be marking people. He'd love to win on Plateau de Beille.

Stage-1432647009.jpeg

Stage-1432648572.jpeg

Stage-1432648554.jpeg

Stage-1432648565.jpeg

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think 30 years without a GC contender has done something funny to Belgium. Het Nieuwsblad has a big piece this morning on how Serge Pauwels is 2nd on GC. If you only count the last 2 days. And even then, I can't see how that can be correct.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Well he was second on the road during a single stage. Stage 11. For about 10 minutes. Isn't that close enough?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I would agree this is the queen stage.

A chaotic day ahead, everyone that has the legs to have a try will do so. Expect Saxo and Movistar to get riders up the road early.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Seriously high temperatures forecast for today. Should reach the magic 100F in the afternoon:

etape_12.png

Which will considerably to the suffering of some.
    I can't see Bardet, for one, getting through the day.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I think Froome is really going to want this one, regardless of what he says about marking the others. I can't see a breakaway surviving with that finish.

Apologies for the Kirby-ism, but I hope we're going to see another Froome bomb going off.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Plateau de Beille has been climbed 5 times. 4 of those the stage winner won the overall.
    Means nothing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    I have done this exact route in one day before about 5 years ago.

Col de la Core is in the sun by the time they hit it, and is 80% in the sun there. Veery hot.

We all ran out of food just before Plateau de Beille and ended up raiding the corner shop at the bottom like rabid zombies. Basically ate half the shop and then asked how much the bill was afterwards - we were desperate.

plateau de Beille mainly in the shade as far as I remember.

Port de lers didn't feel that tough at all compared to col de la core
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Rick you are looking a little green today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Only paid up employees of the site owners are red nowadays ;).
  • disgruntledgoat
    Only paid up employees of the site owners are red nowadays ;).

You have to pay to work for Future now?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    In hours. In exchange for money.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Green = unpaid intern?
  • frenchfighter
    Conde:
    To me, Alberto Contador seemed a bit better on stage 11 than he did the day before. I don’t think he can drop the likes of Froome and Quintana on Plateau de Beille but if it rains, he may try to attack early on the stage. Maybe together with Valverde in joint Spanish taskforce to put Froome under pressure. It’s important to remember that Contador has nothing to lose. He has already won all three grand tours multiple times. For him, only completing The Double counts. It doesn’t matter if he finishes 2nd or 12th overall. Being four minutes down already, we can expect Contador to try something spectacular if he sees an opportunity. He always races to win and he never gives up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

@gietvangent
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Oleg is convinced Froome is going to lose time on the descents. Using words like "normal" and "very weak"

I asked him where his proof was and he replied "tomorrow will be proof for you"

So, can anyone remember a single instance of Froome cracking or being weak and loosing time on a descent? I can't
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I have done this exact route in one day before about 5 years ago.

[…]

plateau de Beille mainly in the shade as far as I remember.

Port de lers didn't feel that tough at all compared to col de la core

Depends how fast the group rides the cols, especially on a windless hot day. Thomas and Porte are going to have a long day in the office today, I reckon.
  • rick_chasey
    BTW.

Descent from Col de le Core is wonderful. Best descent I've ever done tbh.

Full of sweeping positive camber corners which don't require braking if you get it right.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ***BREAKING***

INRG tweeting that Vino has asked Nibali to find a new team for 2016
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    ***BREAKING***

Nibali has the best of both worlds there then, huge payday, Tour win, sees out the rest of his career on a team that isn't constantly on the brink of being bombed out of the sport.

Where do we think then? Garmindale? Lampre? Nobody with money really in the market, are they?

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    ***BREAKING***

Nibali has the best of both worlds there then, huge payday, Tour win, sees out the rest of his career on a team that isn't constantly on the brink of being bombed out of the sport.

Where do we think then? Garmindale? Lampre? Nobody with money really in the market, are they?

He was won the Giro, the Tour, the Vuelta. Froome has only won the Tour once.

If I was Nibali I would say thanks for the money, the feeling is mutual.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ps. Astana's new Tour leader according to Vino lost....over 15 mins yesterday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ***BREAKING***

I imagine Nibali will be only too happy to oblige...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • disgruntledgoat
    ***BREAKING***

He was won the Giro, the Tour, the Vuelta. Froome has only won the Tour once.

If I was Nibali I would say thanks for the money, the feeling is mutual.

I was meaning with Astana.

What's Chris Froome got to do with Astana's HR problems?

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Looks like the Vuelta will be busy this year
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Looks like the Vuelta will be busy this year

Isn't it every year recently? Riders trying to salvage a season after a poor Tour or Giro
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • rick_chasey
    I think 30 years without a GC contender has done something funny to Belgium. Het Nieuwsblad has a big piece this morning on how Serge Pauwels is 2nd on GC. If you only count the last 2 days. And even then, I can't see how that can be correct.

Yup.

Guess when the last time the Dutch had a rider in yellow?

And this is a country that turns their radio 1 into Radio Tour de France.

Britain & Germany don't know how lucky they have it.
  • rick_chasey
    Nibs should go to Quick Step to replace Uran.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Nibs should go to Quick Step to replace Uran.

Big Pat may have to disappoint Cav's Mr. 10% for a second rest day running whilst he hot foots it over to the Astana bus. He'll be spending today redoing the budget on the back of an envelope.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ES is Live!

Kirby saying it is sweltering hot...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Nibali at MTN might be an attractive vanity project for a wealthy individual.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.