Bang, bang, snap!

codfather
codfather Posts: 359
edited July 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Evening all,

a reasonably good day came to a rather abrupt halt this afternoon as I was riding over to a friend's house to take care of their dog for a few hours. Swapped my HT drivetrain onto my trail bike recently and today was the first day riding on it. Everything was shifting sweetly up the moment where the chain skipped up a sprocket or two, decreased resistance meant I dropped down, over loaded the forks and went over the bars, landing heavily on my shoulder on the verge.
Massive pain from my shoulder, I flagged a passer by and called an ambulance. An hour later I'm in hospital looking at this; collarbone comprehensively smashed, not a clean break and the bones have moved a long way. The upshot is I'm in the fracture clinic tomorrow and having surgery to screw me back together soon after. In the mean time it hurts like a son of a b*tch and a nice stack of new bike parts is being delivered to me, ready for me to lament money spent and no riding or fishing...

On the plus side, I got to have a nice long chat with a very pretty and flirty paramedic on the way to the hospital. And now I have a good reason for avoiding doing University Cycling Club paperwork.

xray.jpg

Stay safe(r than me) and happy trails all.
Current fleet
2015 Transition Scout
2012 Nukeproof Scalp
2016 Genesis Latitude
2012 Transition Double
2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
2017 Fly Proton
???? Create Polo Bike

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Jeeez, it looks nasty!!
  • codfather
    Aye, it's no feather tickle, but a healthy dose of bits of Titanium bolted on should ease the strain :wink:
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    I'm having ribs for dinner
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stay positive and you'll soon be back on the bike again. Do everything the doctor and physios tell you, it's all to get you fit again. If you can afford it go to a sports physio as well.
    Just don't be like me. So far this year I have slipped a disc, separated my shoulder, had severe abdominal wall damage and broken two fingers.
    I should have learnt after the first injury that real nurses don't wear PVC uniforms or love you long time.
  • codfather
    I learnt my lesson about listening to the professionals when I smashed my wrist in Peaslake this time last year. In my experience, they know what they're talking about and not listening to them results in more time off the bike than absolutely necessary.
    The nurse who looked me over was very nearly as attractive as the paramedic, she kept stroking my arm and holding my hand....I somewhat forgot about my broken body......
    Anyway, fracture clinic today, we'll see how that pans out.

Laters
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Good luck for later, mate did near enough the same break 6 weeks ago and is well on the mend and was pretty mobile after a week or so but of course not yet back on a MTB for a bit longer.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Ouch! Hope the fracture clinic goes well and you heal fast.
    More importantly, any pictures of the paramedic or nurse? And how's the bike?
  • codfather
    Thanks for the kind words chaps.

Alas, no pictures. Take a trip to the Horton Hospital, ask for Rosie and Rebecca, I'm sure they'll sort you out :wink:

Almost forgot the most important thing! Apparently the bike is fine; we both landed on a grassy verge at fairly low speed, it was only the weight of my body on my shoulder that did for me. Probably nothing more than scuffed bar ends and maybe Reverb lever, but we shall see when I get back this arvo.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    oof!! looks like a painful bone to break.

on the subject of which, if my wife is reading: ive got a bone you can break right here fella.

back on topic, good luck with the recovery. do as you are told, literally everything you are told. the advice and instructions you are given will speed your recovery even when you dont feel like it is doing anything.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Pah! Take a couple of ibuprofen and get on with it.

Seriously though, that looks nasty. I hope the op is successful and you heal quickly.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    That will polish out :shock:

Looks nasty, may I suggest a few beers to aid the recovery.
  • codfather
    Thanks for the kind words all, beer has been consumed in large quantities to heal the pain of my only bike-based contact being window shopping on Pinkbike.

Surgery was supposed to be on Monday. Alas, I was told there were not enough beds and I'm not important enough. Small chance of it happening today, though I'm not holding out hopes. In the meantime my shoulder has turned a pleasing shade of yellow. Laters all you lucky people with all your bones
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    I have an impressive bone!