Operation Stack

forehead
forehead Posts: 180
edited July 2015 in The cake stop
Morning All,

Anyone have any first experience travelling to Eurotunnel recently? Looks like it might be implemented again today and advice is to 'leave plenty of time' for our journey. To anyone that may have had to do this recently, does this mean 1 hours, 5 hours, a day?

I'm travelling on Saturday and really am looking forward to it.

Cheers!
Cube - Peloton
Cannondale - CAAD10

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Avoid the M20 and A20, probably best to go south of Ashford.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'm not due until August. I assume they take cars off the road and have nice helpful signage in place?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • forehead
    I'm not due until August. I assume they take cars off the road and have nice helpful signage in place?

I'd assume so. And a nice free cup of tea and a biscuit for the inconvenience :)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    They divert you down the A20, which is an absolute nightmare when OS is in place. It's often OK to go down the M20 as far as Maidstone, then your best choice would be to head down through the Weald of Kent through Headcorn and Tenterden, then Hamstreet before going down to the coast road. It's quite a long drive, and A roads in Kent are nearly always busy, but when my mum comes from just outside Maidstone to Ashford via the A20 when OS is on, it can take her up to an hour, whereas the country route is about 40 minutes. I don't know what the M2 is like.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    They divert you down the A20, which is an absolute nightmare when OS is in place. It's often OK to go down the M20 as far as Maidstone, then your best choice would be to head down through the Weald of Kent through Headcorn and Tenterden, then Hamstreet before going down to the coast road. It's quite a long drive, and A roads in Kent are nearly always busy, but when my mum comes from just outside Maidstone to Ashford via the A20 when OS is on, it can take her up to an hour, whereas the country route is about 40 minutes. I don't know what the M2 is like.

Mine should be ok, ish. I'm staying at Ashford North so have to get off, it appears, at Junction 8. Obviously, if stack is in place others will be doing this. THen have to get to the Hotel. Next morning I'm leaving at 4.45 am ish so, with any luck, even the A20 should be ok ish.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • forehead
    So it seems Operation Stack is now again in place. Saturday should be a clusterfuck of the highest order.

Still, I'll arrive in the Alps at some point and won't be going to work on Monday :)

Will pack Haribo.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Oh f*kkin excellent news!!! I go on Friday to Dover. What an arse.
    Unfortunately I don't fully understand your advised diversion route so will need to do some research.
    Damn it!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Google maps is usually pretty accurate with traffic delays so consider planning your route with that.

When we went across to Utrecht the M20 was pretty much traffic free, they'd only just opened it up again after the first round of operation stack when we got on :mrgreen:
  • shortcuts
    Google maps is usually pretty accurate with traffic delays so consider planning your route with that.

When we went across to Utrecht the M20 was pretty much traffic free, they'd only just opened it up again after the first round of operation stack when we got on :mrgreen:
    Not looking forward with joy :!:
  • forehead
    Oh f*kkin excellent news!!! I go on Friday to Dover. What an ars*.
    Unfortunately I don't fully understand your advised diversion route so will need to do some research.
    Damn it!

A real time update on here, Friday evening would be much appreciated! I'll owe you a Cornetto. :)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • shortcuts
    Oh f*kkin excellent news!!! I go on Friday to Dover. What an ars*.
    Damn it!

A real time update on here, Friday evening would be much appreciated! I'll owe you a Cornetto. :)
    k
    I will try my best matey. I'm an old fart and don't use mobile 'phone type t'internet. However if I get to where I'm heading to for Friday (Ypres) I will have wifi and will certainly try and provide whatever info I can.
    Wish me luck.
  • shortcuts
    BTW I will only be able to give traffic info as I am going via ferry not train.
  • forehead
    Thanks, and good luck! Have a great trip.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    More major disruption. The strikers have now boarded and occupied (and, I believe, vandalised) the ships Berlioz and Rodin moored in Calais causing more disruption and reducing services.
    We're due to travel early Sunday morning but changed our booking to Dunkirk. Just crossing fingers that goes ahead OK.
    What a gutless lot the French authorities are to allow this degree of lawlessness.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Family holiday booked for late August and I'm considering ditching the Dover - Calais tickets and going to Portsmouth, as someone said above, gutless policing
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I went down M2 and headed South at Faversham. Popped out at jn 9 which worked a treat.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • shortcuts
    Thanks, and good luck! Have a great trip.
    Right!
    We took the M25>M20 and then the 'advertised' diversion (Dover tourist traffic) via A249>M2>A2 and had no problems at all. In fact, having built in an extra hour redunancy to our journey, we arrived way early. That said our ferry departed an hour late due to 'berthing problems' at Calais. That might be due to reasons mentioned by dabber above?
    Mind we traveled at 9amish today. Saturday being the first day of the school holidays might well have an effect on traffic.
    All I can say is good luck, safe journey and try to stay chilled as best you can.
  • shortcuts
    And...................
    On our return today from Calais the *ankers occupying the My Ferry boat blockaded the harbour mouth at Calais so nothing was able to leave. Fortunately it was only an hour and a bit. Fekkin cheese eating surrender monkeys!!