West Midlands Express

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
SO, big news for me. In autumn we are going to get out of the big smoke and move to the west midlands. I have been offered a teaching job at Warwick Uni and we are looking at relocating in Leamington SPA or thereabout.
Anyone from the area who knows all the tricks for a safe commute from Leamington to Warwick uni? Paths welcome, canals, riverside gravel lanes, anything to avoid the main roads...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Leamington is nice. You'll be able to ride with Vtec, isn't he from around there?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Leamington is v nice. I cycle to campus from Coventry, but I'll check with my boss about what route he takes in from Leamington. There's a dedicated cycle track from Kenilworth to campus, but the Leamington to Kenilworth stretch is a bit of a sod with heavily trafficked busy roads (around rush hour).

What will you be teaching?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Leamington is nice. You'll be able to ride with Vtec, isn't he from around there?

Oh, that's exciting!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Leamington is v nice. I cycle to campus from Coventry, but I'll check with my boss about what route he takes in from Leamington. There's a dedicated cycle track from Kenilworth to campus, but the Leamington to Kenilworth stretch is a bit of a sod with heavily trafficked busy roads (around rush hour).

What will you be teaching?

Chemistry

I have noticed the cycle track from Kenilworth when I drove there for the interview
  • graeme_s-2
    Having said Leamington's nice (and it is), my current neighbour is a Londoner who lived in Leamington for 15 years and has now moved to Coventry. He says he loves it and wishes he'd moved over years ago.

There's a cycle path alongside the Kenilworth Road from Kenilworth to campus, but there's also an off road path from the Kenilworth Greenway to the campus.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Leamington is not nice, Stratford is nice (I am currently looking for work in the area and am moving to stratford to get away from the big smoke), I have spent time in Leamington, Warwick coventry and Stratford over the last year.

I have been up a few times (well every weekend) and i cant wait to move there permenantly, lets take our london centric ways to warwickshire.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah, a special SCR Midlands group...
  • rubertoe

Now you can see why all my questions in the Route forum... We will have to make a day out of it one day and ride up.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• ugo.santalucia

Now you can see why all my questions in the Route forum... We will have to make a day out of it one day and ride up.

I know how to get to Stratford Upon Avon from London on very nice lanes... I've done it many times in pieces, never all together in one ride.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    SO, big news for me. In autumn we are going to get out of the big smoke and move to the west midlands. I have been offered a teaching job at Warwick Uni and we are looking at relocating in Leamington SPA or thereabout.
    Anyone from the area who knows all the tricks for a safe commute from Leamington to Warwick uni? Paths welcome, canals, riverside gravel lanes, anything to avoid the main roads...
    To get from Leamington/Warwick to Warwick Uni by bike you have the option of mainly main roads or mainly B roads. There isn't much in the way of paths in between and no canals or rivers go that way. I have found the roads in the area no too bad really. They get busy around rush hour though, especially with all the traffic heading to/from Warwick Uni. From Leamington/Warwick I would probably go via Stoneleigh village.

From Kenilworth there is only one obvious route - the road between Kenilworth and Coventry, turning off to Warwick Uni at Gibbet Hill. Other routes would be a bit of the long way round.
  • graeme_s-2
    From Kenilworth there is only one obvious route - the road between Kenilworth and Coventry, turning off to Warwick Uni at Gibbet Hill. Other routes would be a bit of the long way round.
    From Kenilworth the greenway and then the dedicated bike path to the campus completely cuts the Kenilworth Road to Gibbet Hill corner, making it more direct. I generally ride on the road rather than bike paths, but if I was coming from Kenilworth I'd definitely use that path.

Ha - was just trying to find a webpage which showed the route on a map. Can't find one, but did find this information about it:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/policy-evidence/the-impact-of-our-work/connecting-kenilworth-and-university-warwick

The page includes this photo from the official opening of the path - I've never seen it before, but that's me in the red jacket.

kenilworthv2.jpg
  • rubertoe
    I imagine that it is a very pleasant ride, and road/lanes is much more appealing - I know how to get there on the M40/A41... or national rail, just would rather cycle up with the bikes rather than sling them in a van (pick up the keys to my new house on friday).

i am staying in london until i can find work (with family at the moment) but already bought a house.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Live in Leamington, work at Warwick Uni....

I live on the North edge of Leamington, so take the Coventry road from Cubbington across via Stoneleigh, up Stoneleigh road and to the Uni Gibbet Hill campus and then the internal cyclepath to the main campus. You can use the Cubbington road/Rugby road up from town, I'd avoid using Leicester lane (parallel) as its a bit busy and narrow.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/346384356
    This route is pretty safe (feeling), its a bit busy up from the A46 to the Kenilworth road though but as the traffic is slower its not much of an issue as long as you ride primary, the new junction at the Kenilworth road/gibbet hill junction has made it slightly worse unfortunately.

If you are living further down into Leamington you can go across on the A452 to Kenilworth (cycle paths alongside the road) and into the Uni via the greenway cyclepath (on sustrans)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/216208753 (was going into town that day before heading home)

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss off board at all including anything about living in RLS

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=150820434981416 as well! Road (x3) and MTB and CX rides weekly
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Live in Leamington, work at Warwick Uni....

I live on the North edge of Leamington, so take the Coventry road from Cubbington across via Stoneleigh, up Stoneleigh road and to the Uni Gibbet Hill campus and then the internal cyclepath to the main campus. You can use the Cubbington road/Rugby road up from town, I'd avoid using Leicester lane (parallel) as its a bit busy and narrow.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/346384356
    This route is pretty safe (feeling), its a bit busy up from the A46 to the Kenilworth road though but as the traffic is slower its not much of an issue as long as you ride primary, the new junction at the Kenilworth road/gibbet hill junction has made it slightly worse unfortunately.

If you are living further down into Leamington you can go across on the A452 to Kenilworth (cycle paths alongside the road) and into the Uni via the greenway cyclepath (on sustrans)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/216208753 (was going into town that day before heading home)

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss off board at all including anything about living in RLS

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=150820434981416 as well! Road (x3) and MTB and CX rides weekly

Excellent!

We are going up to view a few properties to rent in 10 days or so, so I don't know exactly where we are going to live, but knowing my wife, I am pretty sure she will fancy Leamington over Kenilworth or Coventry... as for myself I am easy, like any man I am more concerned about cost! :mrgreen:

Looks like we are going to be neighbours AND colleagues then...
  • The Rookie
    Not quite colleagues, I work AT the uni, not for, they are just building a new building for us called the NAIC, you can't miss it, the site is under the 2 ruddy great cranes!

Only part of Leamington to avoid is the Newbold area where the two big blocks of flats are, nickname is Beirut locally - although its not quite as bad as that - and also 'Crown way' in Lillington (the rest of Lillington is OK) If you come across anything In Cubbington (not 'New Cubbington') I would recommend it, great village atmosphere but with just a 10 minute peddle into town, also if you have kids the Primary school is THE best in the area.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    But where will London get it's wheels?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    The Same way we in the West Mids used to - ha!
  • ugo.santalucia

Mavic? :lol:

Jonathan Bell in Wandsworth, aka Noble wheels...
    Arup Sen somewhere nasty in SE London
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Now tell him how many traffic lights he'll see each day and wait for the London lot to start weeping ;)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504

Mavic? :lol:

Jonathan Bell in Wandsworth, aka Noble wheels...
    Arup Sen somewhere nasty inSE London
    Hold your horses country boy!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Some lovely places around there. Knowle, Dorridge, Hampton-on-Arden. Never cycled there but we regularly visit friends nearby.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • SO, big news for me. In autumn we are going to get out of the big smoke and move to the west midlands. I have been offered a teaching job at Warwick Uni and we are looking at relocating in Leamington SPA or thereabout.

I think you'll find that <pedant mode on> that Leamington and Warwick University are in Warwickshire <pedant mode off>.

The residents of Warwickshire are very keen not to be lumped in the urban conglomeration that is the West Midlands - which is Birmingham, Solihull, Wolverhampton etc
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    The rookie is spot on Re advice on travel and Leamington. :) Think you'll love living in Leamington, good restaurants, good pubs and night life and TWO great bike shop's. What's not to like. :):)
    Both Warwick and Kenilworth have good points but slightly quieter places to live and i speak as a Warwick boy who now lives in coventry.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • The Rookie
    Now tell him how many traffic lights he'll see each day and wait for the London lot to start weeping ;)
    On my route (6.7 miles) I have one pedestrian crossing, I've NEVER had a red there.

Warwick university is of course in Coventry which is in the West Midlands, Cov used to be in Warwickshire (which is why the county wraps right round it and the county cricket ground is in Edgebaston in Birmingham. The Uni is certainly not in Warwickshire! The whole region is 'the west midlands' as well.

THREE great bike shops, Broadribbs, John Atkins and The Bike Yard, Mike Vaughan in Kenilworth (pricey though) as well. Two active clubs RLS-CC and Kenilworth Wheelers as well, RLS-CC has active MTB and CX as well, KW are very road orientated.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

He rides a bike? Well I never!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Paolo - congratulations! I too am moving out of the big smoke - we're heading to Oxfordshire, I've checked matters out and the trainline goes pretty close to Leamington, so I can come and see you when I need "country" wheels!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paolo - congratulations! I too am moving out of the big smoke - we're heading to Oxfordshire, I've checked matters out and the trainline goes pretty close to Leamington, so I can come and see you when I need "country" wheels!

good man!
  • graeme_s-2
    I think you'll find that <pedant mode on> that Leamington and Warwick University are in Warwickshire <pedant mode off>.
    The vast majority of the University of Warwick is in Coventry. The Business School and a few of the halls of residence are in Warwickshire.

Gibbet Hill Road is the border - everything to the West is Warwickshire, everything to the East is Coventry.

You sir, have been out pedanted ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    All this pedantry about which county is lost on me. It's in the frozen wastelands of the north, that's all that we need to know. ;-)
    The loss of our favourite wheel builder will be of far more concern to the London types.
  • graeme_s-2
    All this pedantry about which county is lost on me. It's in the frozen wastelands of the north
    I'll have you know that Coventry is the Costa Brava of the Midlands! 8)