Fox Hunting

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited August 2015 in The cake stop
So it looks like they have postponed the vote because they were going to lose, so now they will wait until Scottish MPs can't vote and then they'll win. Yeah, that seems nice and fair!

they were saying on the radio this morning that loads of hunting hounds get put down each year as if that is a reason to make hunting legal again. That's not a reason to legalise hunting, that is a reason to stop killing dogs!

I'm very against hunting (in case you hadn't guessed and were in anyway curious!)
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The problem I see with this is that the Scottish party confirmed they are doing it to "teach the prime minister a lesson" and that they don't usually vote simply on English laws.
    I find this abhorrent in that they are using a serious matter to play games.
    I too am against fox hunting but it has gone on for years and I often think to myself about how much ruling the government should make over its people.
    Living MY dream.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,382
    I'll stand corrected here, but wasn't the proposal to make it legal to pursue (but not kill) a fox with multiple hounds as opposed to with a maximum of two which is what the law in England currently is. Fox hunting in Scotland is allowed with multiple hounds and has been since the "ban". It seems terribly hypocritical that Scottish MPs will vote against something in England whilst continuing to allow it in Scotland. If so, that is a strange kind of politics with more than animal welfare on the agenda.

Is it not also the case that The Hunting Act changes apply to England and Wales only - something the SNP had said it would not vote on?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,720
    I love the inner turmoil going on here.

Some people were going to vote the way I'd like them to but as I don't like them that upsets me.

Brilliant!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I love the inner turmoil going on here.

Some people were going to vote the way I'd like them to but as I don't like them that upsets me.

Brilliant!

:lol::lol::lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I love the inner turmoil going on here.

Brilliant!

I think its the ironic point that a political party will use what to many is a very important issue just to make a stance against the opposition but not only to do it, but to do it and tell people why they are doing it.
    It makes a mockery of the position and confirms that we, the people of England are being played by those, the people in charge of Scotland.

In almost any other situation your vote wouldn't be allowed due to the fact that people must vote openly and honestly based on information given, certainly not because they simply dislike the other party.
    You could base it similarly to a Judge siding with one client because he doesnt like the barrister of the other and then coming out and actually admitting to it.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    In almost any other situation your vote wouldn't be allowed due to the fact that people must vote openly and honestly based on information given, certainly not because they simply dislike the other party.
    I think you have not spent enough attention to how Westminster actually works to hold that view.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I'll stand corrected here, but wasn't the proposal to make it legal to pursue (but not kill) a fox with multiple hounds as opposed to with a maximum of two which is what the law in England currently is. Fox hunting in Scotland is allowed with multiple hounds and has been since the "ban". It seems terribly hypocritical that Scottish MPs will vote against something in England whilst continuing to allow it in Scotland. If so, that is a strange kind of politics with more than animal welfare on the agenda.

Is it not also the case that The Hunting Act changes apply to England and Wales only - something the SNP had said it would not vote on?

Get your facts right https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Wild_Mammals_(Scotland)_Act_2002
  • laurentian

Get your facts right https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Wild_Mammals_(Scotland)_Act_2002

Like I said, I'll stand correction. I can't seem to get anywhere with that link other than:

"Hunting Act 2004 (category Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom concerning England and Wales)
    pursuit of foxes with hounds, other than to flush out to be shot, was banned in Scotland two years earlier by the Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act"

Which is how I understood it i.e. hounds cannot kill the fox but no reduction of the number of hounds to two as in England, which is what I believe the "relaxation" was about.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I'm struck by the hypocrisy of both Nicola Sturgeon, in siding with the League Against Cruel Sports, and the League Against Cruel Sports, in siding with Nicola Sturgeon.

The League Against Cruel Sports should be barracking the Scottish parliament to restrict the use of hounds

This underlines the interfering in English law by the Scots, which cannot be allowed to continue.

The vote on hunting will be lost anyway, but this was more about the Scottish tail wagging the British dog.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I'm struck by the hypocrisy of both Nicola Sturgeon, in siding with the League Against Cruel Sports, and the League Against Cruel Sports, in siding with Nicola Sturgeon.

The League Against Cruel Sports should be barracking the Scottish parliament to restrict the use of hounds

This underlines the interfering in English law by the Scots, which cannot be allowed to continue.

The vote on hunting will be lost anyway, but this was more about the Scottish tail wagging the British dog.

hold on, the Scots didnt make the rules, the english did, its a uk parliament and scottish mp's are allowed to sit in the westminster parliament & vote, the alternative is to let the scots go their own way and become independant.
    I doubt too many english folk want Trident based somewhere in england, esp as Babcock in Plymouth cant even manage a v small part of our n. deterent safely.
    As for the LACS why would nt they side with the SNP ? my enemies enemy is my friend and all that!
    the SNP are v angry in that they feel they ve been lied too by the english and this is why they are kicking off.

the union is finished, its just time as they say.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The sole reason why fox hunting was banned and is generally hated by the average Joe is the Hunting Pink. To me it stands for wealth, entitlement, but most of all the superiority complex of those that wear it. Which is probably why the Labour party banned fox hunting.
    If there wasn't the 'Trooping the Colour' style showmanship displayed by these wealthy self entitled prigs and they all wore dirty overalls, mucky waterproofs and muddy boots and bothered to live in the areas they hunted 7 days a week. Then in my opinion there would hardly have been any issues with fox hunting. If you look at those that hunt in mainland Europe for wild boar or fowl it is generally done by farmers/farmhands and the local working class chaps from the village. No fuss or showmanship.

Just because the fox has a lovely fluffy tail and has been immortalised into a lovable humorous puppet (Basil Brush) does not get away from the fact it is vermin and a nuisance to the farming communities that can be affected. The decision on fox hunting should be made by those rural communities. Not by militant lefties who used to be a purser on a liner, or by nationalistic pigs from political parties north of the border, and certainly not by idiots from Chelsea or Knightsbridge who bother to visit their country pile once in a blue moon and think it a jolly jape to dress up like the bloke from Tetley's ales.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • laurentian
    edited July 2015
    [quote="Mr Goo". : . they all wore dirty overalls, mucky waterproofs and muddy boots and bothered to live in the areas they hunted 7 days a week. Then in my opinion there would hardly have been any issues with fox hunting. If you look at those that hunt in mainland Europe for wild boar or fowl it is generally done by farmers/farmhands and the local working class chaps from the village. No fuss or showmanship.[/quote]

90% of the people I know that are hunt supporters fit this exact description
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    Reading this one might think that the vote was actually about foxes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    [quote="Mr Goo". : . they all wore dirty overalls, mucky waterproofs and muddy boots and bothered to live in the areas they hunted 7 days a week. Then in my opinion there would hardly have been any issues with fox hunting. If you look at those that hunt in mainland Europe for wild boar or fowl it is generally done by farmers/farmhands and the local working class chaps from the village. No fuss or showmanship.

90% of the people I know that are hunt supporters fit this exact description[/quote]

The supporters I don't doubt. It's those that take part that I refer to.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    My mate who supplies me with logs, is also a hunt supporter and has taken part too BUT he doesnt calling it "huntin" its known locally as "cnutin" due to the amunt of bed hoping that goes on with the upper classes :)

so no, the vote def would not have been about Foxes or rather not the 4 legged variety
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    The...
    Just because the fox has a lovely fluffy tail and has been immortalised into a lovable humorous puppet (Basil Brush) does not get away from the fact it is vermin and a nuisance to the farming communities...

The fox is very misaligned. I had a job on a farm when I was a lad (bye eck). Very rarely did it take out lambs and weasels could totally decimate a chicken pen. Buzzards kill far more lambs than foxes.
    The current way to kill them is by lamping, which I think is very cruel because it is usually carried out by trigger happy men intent on getting their perverse 'fill'. All of the methods used to kill foxes pale into insignificance with the number killed on the road.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    If the animal rights campaigners like Brian May et all are that concerned with the welfare of animals in the UK, perhaps they should turn their attention to the barbaric slaughter of livestock for Halal meat. How can they ignore this disgusting medieval practice of animal slaughter carried out in the name of religion? Oh I know! Because if they did, all hell would break loose.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    If the animal rights campaigners like Brian May et all are that concerned with the welfare of animals in the UK, perhaps they should turn their attention to the barbaric slaughter of livestock for Halal meat. How can they ignore this disgusting medieval practice of animal slaughter carried out in the name of religion? Oh I know! Because if they did, all hell would break loose.

They are , I abhor fox hunting and similarly abhor the disgusting way that animals are killed for Halal meat, see more below: -

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-ban-halal-meat?recruiter=3207696&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Kosher meat similarly killed and should also be banned?
  • mr_goo

They are , I abhor fox hunting and similarly abhor the disgusting way that animals are killed for Halal meat, see more below: -

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-ban-halal-meat?recruiter=3207696&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Kosher meat similarly killed and should also be banned?

Signed petition. I believe you are correct regarding Kosher meat. That needs banning too then. Any inhumane slaughter of animal merely to follow the guidelines of stupid religion doctrine is outrageous.
  • laurentian
    [quote="Mr Goo". : . they all wore dirty overalls, mucky waterproofs and muddy boots and bothered to live in the areas they hunted 7 days a week. Then in my opinion there would hardly have been any issues with fox hunting. If you look at those that hunt in mainland Europe for wild boar or fowl it is generally done by farmers/farmhands and the local working class chaps from the village. No fuss or showmanship.

90% of the people I know that are hunt supporters fit this exact description

The supporters I don't doubt. It's those that take part that I refer to.[/quote]

Undoubtedly less "dirty overalls" (If not landed gentry, I guess keeping a horse would be the reserve of those with a certain amount of disposable income) but, from the impression thrown around by some, I think many people would be surprised at the demographic of a typical hunting "field".
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pinno
    All those dogs and all those horses and people just to kill a fox. It's cruelty made ceremonial. Imagine the fear generated in a fox as it is hunted by a crescendo of noise, barking, bugles, horse hooves - regardless of how it is killed; either shredded (it still happens far too often) or shot. The whole process cannot be justified on spurious moral grounds such as the welfare of dogs/tradition.
    Fox's are a part of the flora, fauna and wildlife and have been for millennia. We choose to intensively farm and by doing so impinge on the remaining land space. They have a right to some habitat and we as a people need to treat what remaining space there is with respect, after all it is in our interest to support the environment whatever downsides that brings.
    Sod the hoy polloi. I witnessed a 6ft plus, red jacketed bloke get on a 14 hand pony in the Cotswold's one year. There was a point to point event going on. The pony, with a small female rider on, had shied away from a fence. The heavy built 6ft 4rsehole jumped on this sweat saturated, totally exhausted pony, stirrups on boots and a whip in hand and attempted to coerce the pony over the fence unsuccessfully, whipping and kicking it mercilessly. I only wish it was a time where I could have recorded it on a mobile phone. The whole incident left me feeling revolted and disgusted by this bully. Probably had the sh1t kicked out of him when he was sent of to boarding school far too early and got shagged by prefects, loosing any sense of compassion or feeling along the way. Cold, heartless man and I think those who embark on these ceremonialised 'hunts' - the dressing up, the alcohol, the bugles are all in the same vein.
    As a child I witnessed guard dogs shredding pets all too often in Kenya and it is barbaric to think that someone can take pleasure in seeing a fox being pulled apart. If you enjoy that, there is something very wrong with you.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991

hold on, the Scots didnt make the rules, the english did, its a uk parliament and scottish mp's are allowed to sit in the westminster parliament & vote, the alternative is to let the scots go their own way and become independant.
    I doubt too many english folk want Trident based somewhere in england, esp as Babcock in Plymouth cant even manage a v small part of our n. deterent safely.
    As for the LACS why would nt they side with the SNP ? my enemies enemy is my friend and all that!
    the SNP are v angry in that they feel they ve been lied too by the english and this is why they are kicking off.

the union is finished, its just time as they say.

The English didn't make the rules, the British (including the Scots) did.

The location of Trident is more a matter of geography than politics. I'm sure if Barrow-in-Furness had the deep water inlets that Scotland does, then they'd welcome a Trident base there, since they are proud to be the manufacturing base. I'm sure the Scots wouldn't mind losing those jobs. Yeah, right.

Cameron has pledged to implement the required devolvement of power to Scotland rapidly. If the SNP want to play politics with what only effects English law, can you guess how quickly those changes will actually happen? The law may allow SNP MPs to vote, but since it doesn't relate to Scottish laws, they should morally abstain.

The vote on fox hunting will be lost, with or without the SNP, so I don't get why the LACS needed to get into bed with the enemy, since Scotland has more liberal controls on fox hunting than England.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Pina top post 8) 8) 8)
  • chris_bass
    All those dogs and all those horses and people just to kill a fox. It's cruelty made ceremonial. Imagine the fear generated in a fox as it is hunted by a crescendo of noise, barking, bugles, horse hooves - regardless of how it is killed; either shredded (it still happens far too often) or shot. The whole process cannot be justified on spurious moral grounds such as the welfare of dogs/tradition.
    Fox's are a part of the flora, fauna and wildlife and have been for millennia. We choose to intensively farm and by doing so impinge on the remaining land space. They have a right to some habitat and we as a people need to treat what remaining space there is with respect, after all it is in our interest to support the environment whatever downsides that brings.
    Sod the hoy polloi. I witnessed a 6ft plus, red jacketed bloke get on a 14 hand pony in the Cotswold's one year. There was a point to point event going on. The pony, with a small female rider on, had shied away from a fence. The heavy built 6ft 4rsehole jumped on this sweat saturated, totally exhausted pony, stirrups on boots and a whip in hand and attempted to coerce the pony over the fence unsuccessfully, whipping and kicking it mercilessly. I only wish it was a time where I could have recorded it on a mobile phone. The whole incident left me feeling revolted and disgusted by this bully. Probably had the sh1t kicked out of him when he was sent of to boarding school far too early and got shagged by prefects, loosing any sense of compassion or feeling along the way. Cold, heartless man and I think those who embark on these ceremonialised 'hunts' - the dressing up, the alcohol, the bugles are all in the same vein.
    As a child I witnessed guard dogs shredding pets all too often in Kenya and it is barbaric to think that someone can take pleasure in seeing a fox being pulled apart. If you enjoy that, there is something very wrong with you.

that nicely sums up my feeling on it all too!
  • chris_bass

Signed petition. I believe you are correct regarding Kosher meat. That needs banning too then. Any inhumane slaughter of animal merely to follow the guidelines of stupid religion doctrine is outrageous.

why just pick halal meat? why not animal cruelty of all kinds? kosher as already pointed out, animal testing, battery farming, how animals are transported etc etc

I can't help but think you maybe had a hidden agenda by choosing just halal? hmmmmm..... what could it have been?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    If you enjoy that, there is something very wrong with you.
    I think that covers all hunting for 'sport' or just needlessly making animals, or people, suffer. I really don't understand it, and don't wish to.
  • mr_goo

why just pick halal meat? why not animal cruelty of all kinds? kosher as already pointed out, animal testing, battery farming, how animals are transported etc etc

I can't help but think you maybe had a hidden agenda by choosing just halal? hmmmmm..... what could it have been?

Don't start accusing me of high jacking this thread for another purpose Mr Bass. I acknowledged the inhumane slaughter processes of kosher meat in a follow up. One tends to jump onto the back of Halal slaughtered meats and forget about the others probably because it is becoming more visible as an approved product in the shops.
    Factory farming is also a terrible way to treat animals, which is why we always buy free range chicken and hens eggs. And insist on British pork products. I never purchase bacon from Denmark or Holland because of their intensive farming methods and I reckon that when cooking Dutch/Danish bacon one can actually smell the odour of excrement that the poor pig has had to lie in during its miserable existence.
  • mr_goo

Don't start accusing me of high jacking this thread for another purpose Mr Bass. I acknowledged the inhumane slaughter processes of kosher meat in a follow up. One tends to jump onto the back of Halal slaughtered meats and forget about the others probably because it is becoming more visible as an approved product in the shops. I shall go an absolve my indiscretion for singling out one religion by saying 10 Elohim Gadols and 10 Allahu Akbars.
    Factory farming is also a terrible way to treat animals, which is why we always buy free range chicken and hens eggs. And insist on British pork products. I never purchase bacon from Denmark or Holland because of their intensive farming methods and I reckon that when cooking Dutch/Danish bacon one can actually smell the odour of excrement that the poor pig has had to lie in during its miserable existence.
  • pinno
    Intensive pig farming in the UK:

image033.jpg

Free range pig farming in the UK:

pigs-outside-field.jpg

Intensive pig farming in Denmark:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1DQS8mLf9k4zBVTERPEB87zPVSfSG_WZ16r01O4ZH4i7ee6wwgc1i8gI

Free range pig farming in Denmark:

33414401-Free-range-pigs-Shot-taken-on-an-organic-farm-in-Denmark-Stock-Photo.jpg

Just buy free range. Country of origin has nothing to do with animal welfare.
  • mr_goo
    Intensive pig farming in the UK:

image033.jpg

Free range pig farming in the UK:

pigs-outside-field.jpg

Intensive pig farming in Denmark:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1DQS8mLf9k4zBVTERPEB87zPVSfSG_WZ16r01O4ZH4i7ee6wwgc1i8gI

Free range pig farming in Denmark:

33414401-Free-range-pigs-Shot-taken-on-an-organic-farm-in-Denmark-Stock-Photo.jpg

Just buy free range. Country of origin has nothing to do with animal welfare.

That is clearly someone back garden of small holding in Denmark. Never seen veggie patches/flower beds in a farmers field.