What does this forum think?

Comments

• hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    You would probably be made quite welcome over at the Clinic
  • SkyLimit
    SkyLimit Posts: 33

I already know what they think. I'm wondering about this forum.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I think they are clean - I can see why you ask the question as if Astana had done what Sky had done today it'd be used as further evidence they are juiced - but of course Astana have previous so it's not unreasonable to assume the worst of them and give Sky the benefit of any doubt.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You will literally never know. You might know one day if they're dirty. It's not really a good question to ask if you have any intention of enjoying cycling (or any other sport).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think most people would say they don't know, but they've not seen any evidence to make them believe it is the case.

That's what I'd tend to think.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm pretty sure there is no team doping at Sky. That doesn't mean to say that all their riders are clean. Sky are happy to push the boundaries on legal or not yet outlawed methods, which could be perceived as unethical.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I think they're clean, and I'd want a hell of a lot more evidence than the pseudoscience (that's a kind description) floating around on Twitter to convince me otherwise.
  • SkyLimit
    Yeah I think they are clean - I can see why you ask the question as if Astana had done what Sky had done today it'd be used as further evidence they are juiced - but of course Astana have previous so it's not unreasonable to make an assume the worst of them and give Sky the benefit of any doubt.

I think what sky did today was even more dominant than what Astana did.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I hope so.

Other than riding their bikes really fast I've seen nothing to persuade me otherwise.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I hope so and I'd like to think so. I've not seen anything particularly damming.

But you couldn't be too surprised if they later turned out to be doing something (same goes for any team really).
  • SkyLimit
    When was the last time a team dominated this much? Not even Armstrong won this easily.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Given pro cyclings history it would be naive to think so; by the same token it's a level playing field.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    When was the last time a team dominated this much? Not even Armstrong won this easily.

Lets put this in perspective. Froome won a mountain stage by 60 seconds.

He put 2:22 in Tony Gallopin. Isn't that exactly what you'd expect?

Teams have been dominating for ages. 86 TdF everyone gets a boner about top 10

Rank Name Team Time
    1 Greg LeMond (USA) Jersey yellow.svgJersey yellow number.svg La Vie Claire 110h 35' 19"
    2 Bernard Hinault (FRA) Polka dot jerseyJersey yellow number.svg La Vie Claire +3' 10"
    3 Urs Zimmermann (SUI) Carrera-Inoxpran +10' 54"
    4 Andrew Hampsten (USA) Jersey white.svgJersey yellow number.svg La Vie Claire +18' 44"
    5 Claude Criquielion (BEL) Hitachi-Marc-Splendor +24' 36"
    6 Ronan Pensec (FRA) Peugeot-Shell +25' 59"
    7 Niki Rüttimann (SUI) Jersey yellow number.svg La Vie Claire +30' 52"
    8 Álvaro Pino (ESP) Zor-BH +33' 00"
    9 Steven Rooks (NED) PDM-Concorde +33' 22"
    10 Yvon Madiot (FRA) Système U +33' 27"

That's right, 4 people from same team in top 10. Funnily enough La Vie Claire were also a team that concentrated on team make up and focusing on details.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yeah I think they are clean - I can see why you ask the question as if Astana had done what Sky had done today it'd be used as further evidence they are juiced - but of course Astana have previous so it's not unreasonable to make an assume the worst of them and give Sky the benefit of any doubt.

I think what sky did today was even more dominant than what Astana did.

Or is what Astana aren't doing since nighttime testing became a threat?
  • Turfle

Yes, he did. He routinely won by over 7 minutes.

Nibali won last year by over 7 and a half minutes.
  • SkyLimit

Does anyone actually think Nibali won clean? Nibali and Armstrong didn't have teammates finishing second either.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    We have to assume they are clean, we have to believe that the UCI are testing them (and all riders) regularly and the tests are stringent. Otherwise the sport is no different to the armstrong era.

The next few days will be very interesting. Today froome was unbelievable & others had 'bad' days. That said, to win with such ease was a surprise to everyone I think, even if he has looked mighty strong so far this tour.

If he is as dominant tomorrow and in the alps, and continues to win stages by such margins, then I imagine suspicions will really grow.

Although I want to believe he is clean.

What I'm sad about tonight is the tour is seemingly over after stage 10 :cry:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984

Yes he did, and I don't regard it as being easy.

Froome is in the form of his life right now, with an outstanding team built around him and the GC. He has clearly learned that he might have off days (see S16-20 of 2013) so he will try to max his advantage when he has the chance.

With all this going on he beat his main rival by just over a minute. Great performance? Sure, but not "unbelievable" to me.
  • Turfle

Does anyone actually think Nibali won clean? Nibali and Armstrong didn't have teammates finishing second either.

Why ask if your response is going to be "he probably wasn't clean so he doesn't count"?

Armstrong routinely had teammates finish up there on mountain stages and on GC. Hamilton, Heras, Acevedo
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

I already know what they think. I'm wondering about this forum.

Do you think the Ventoux File and today's 6.1w/kg estimate are clear evidence of doping?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    I'm pretty sure there is no team doping at Sky. That doesn't mean to say that all their riders are clean. Sky are happy to push the boundaries on legal or not yet outlawed methods, which could be perceived as unethical.

Oooh that sounds interesting. Such as what?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Armstrong had Heras. On today's courses he would be on the podium, but back then they had 100k of time trialing. Hamilton was second in the Giro and Landis 'won' the Tour. I think even Azevedo was fifth one year.

Bear in mind that prior to Sky, Porte was best young rider at the Giro, Konig had a Tour and Vuelta top ten, Roche two Vuelta top tens and Poels had finished second up the Angliru. They have money and spend it better than most. Those four probably cost what Tinkoff spends on Sagan.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    I'm assuming they are technically clean (certainly not running a doping program) but do push the envelope, as others have alluded to. Rather like the Red Bull F1 team (but not this years!)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm probably going to be naïve enough to say that a team as aligned to a sports national governing body as Sky is, whose previous president is now president of the UCI, is probably going to be clean.

What I'm wondering though SkyLimit is why you have come here to find out what people on this forum think? When you seem to want to argue and persuade people on here otherwise. Do you really want to find out what we think?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm probably going to be naïve enough to say that a team as aligned to a sports national governing body as Sky is, whose previous president is now president of the UCI, is probably going to be clean.

What I'm wondering though SkyLimit is why you have come here to find out what people on this forum think? When you seem to want to argue and persuade people on here otherwise. Do you really want to find out what we think?

I think it's naïve to believe in professional sport, history says as much, whether it's doping, cheating or bribery. Sky will be more protected than most, Murdoch has means...

Ah the Murdoch conspiracy... :roll:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

I think it's naïve to believe in professional sport, history says as much, whether it's doping, cheating or bribery. Sky will be more protected than most, Murdoch has means...

In that case why do they make such enormous PR howlers? And Murdoch would be better placed using his nefarious "means" to make sure that, oh I don;t know, he doesn't have to close down a long running sunday edition and have his executive team dragged through the courts for years than preventing some bad publicity for cyclists.

Be serious.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I am a world renowned doctor and I can say with 100% certainty that they are clean.

There... no need to worry any more!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

You are racist, homophobic and misogonistic.

History says so, because for centuries, white males (assuming you are one) have been. Would it be naive to think you aren't? Or do you deserve to be judged on your own merits?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Exactly, couldn't be a more obvious troll if he had a warty nose and lived under a bridge. Today has certainly flushed them out in force in a way that a dominant performance by only one team is able.
  • fredmac
    fredmac Posts: 83
    We have to assume they are clean

Stopped reading here.