Do posts get removed automatically?

flubbub
flubbub Posts: 115
Dear bikeradar mods,

I feel my post being removed was unjustly done: although you may have 'uber strict rules that must be adhered to in every single case', I do not feel my post was unresearched, or detrimental to the forum in anyway, as finding the value of a very scratched but nearly brand new bike is not very common. So no, I can't just "find out a benchmark price on another website". How very self-righteous - implying that this website is too highbrow for the opinion of other cyclists about value. If you feel (do robots feel?) that I'm not entitled to ask the question 'how much do you think it's worth', then why not let me do some simple re-phrasing to "What is the depreciation on a new model year bike that is in bad cosmetic condition, but perfectly functionable?".
I'm sure there is bound to be some other rule about posting about posts because inception can lead to unconscious marketing of an unnameable Hollywood film and marking isn't allowed, but how about replying to this post instead of deleting it, so that I (and others) can learn what makes rules and mods so omnipotent?

Primarily I'm actually writing this so that someone reads it and sympathises/agrees, but I have my doubts that it will ever make it to the forum due to the censorship that seems to take place nowadays..!

Yours cordially,

[whatever my username is on here]

Comments

• shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    This could become amusing :shock:
    Sits back to watch with interest :)
  • flubbub
    This could become amusing :shock:
    Sits back to watch with interest :)

Yes, I'm rather hoping there will be some explaining done as to why my (very time consuming) post was decided too common for these forums. Either that or any other members chiming in who also feel posts on here get removed with little to no regards to the OP, or for little reasoning.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I fell foul of this when trying to value a MTB frame and suspension......... basically you have no chance of changing the rules.

If you want to determine the value of something you are selling then:

Trawl eBay for the nearest equivalent......

or

Advertise it at what you think it is worth plus a bit more and wait for offers.

If you want to buy something which is in the condition you describe then make your best offer and if it's not enough then the seller values it more than you do.

At the end of the day something is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, there are no set rules.
  • Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • flubbub

At the end of the day something is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, there are no set rules.

Which is why, my friend, I wrote this post :lol:
  • flubbub
    Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.

Generally speaking about new members, or me? I'll assume the former as I joined 2 years before yourself
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.
    It has been some time since we had a good flounce!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navrig2
    Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.

You missed the wisecracks......
  • navrig2
    Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.

Generally speaking about new members, or me? I'll assume the former as I joined 2 years before yourself

Oh goodie, a I can pee higher than you competition :D
  • flubbub
    Navrig2 wrote:

I probably can. In fact I'm a far superior human being to most; I can also run a mile in under 4 minutes.

All obviously trolling aside, I was quite hoping to cause a ruckus - I agree with PBlakeney, most people are far too inert nowadays; it makes life rather boring to spectate... If no one complained or brought things up, nothing would change or be considered, so I'm quite happy to take the rap of it means it gets talked about!

So back to the OP: are posts deleted automatically, or is it chosen by higher beings?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394
    Joins forum
    Ignores rules
    Breaks rules
    Says rules are stupid
    Flounces.

Gravity is the only thing that helps me pee come out these days :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    lolcat_funny_picture_moderator1.jpg

:D
  • navrig2
    Higher (peeing) beings.

Don't upset them or you'll find your tube pressure dropping overnight.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    first comment in over three years breaks the rules and gets deleted and suddenly you get all chatty
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    Getting back OT.

No, they do not get deleted automatically. It is personal.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Don't you just hate injustice ?

Ebay will tell you what price its worth.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    So flubbub, what was it you were looking for a value on?

Maybe if you posted some details here or perhaps elsewhere someone could get back to you.

But in truth, anything is worth only what the market will bear.

It is worth what you can get for it.

Anyway, why sell it? Everyone knows that bicycles are for using, not selling.

Even my cat knows that, and he doesn't even ride a bicycle.

Nor has he ever.
  • chris_bass
    whatever it was, i'll give you a tenner for it
  • flubbub

Maybe if you posted some details here or perhaps elsewhere someone could get back to you.

Nor has he ever.

I have something that I need to ask how much it is worth, but I haven't read the rules before hand

All opinions on this matter very appreciated.

NB Mod Edit in Blue
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Pictures please (otherwise you haven't got the bike).
  • chris_bass

Nor has he ever.

I have something that I need to ask how much it is worth, but I haven't read the rules before hand

All opinions on this matter very appreciated.

NB Mod Edit in Blue

My previous offer still stands
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Getting back OT.

This. Why should people waste their time explaining the reason when you clearly already know it? Carry on asking the question and I suspect you may not be posting for much longer.
    No, it wasn't me that deleted the posts, but I will if necessary. Yes, I did move it to the correct section.
  • flubbub
    Getting back OT.

This. Why should people waste their time explaining the reason when you clearly already know it? Carry on asking the question and I suspect you may not be posting for much longer.
    No, it wasn't me that deleted the posts, but I will if necessary. Yes, I did move it to the correct section.

How very neutral of you.....

This post wasn't to ask the same question again, as you may pick up in the subtle undertones of this conversation, it was merely pointing out that a particular rule is stupid and should be amended. This is an online forum where people come to call on other people's knowledge and opinions in order to help them - any censorship or dictatorship should be entirely personal (as finally answered on this thread) and situationalistic. Athough you may 'have' to follow 'rules', this is a place for people to ask questions, and as I'm sure you're all learning in school at the moment: no question is a silly question!
    If nothing was read tongue-in-cheek then you may have missed part of the point in this, but all in all I wasn't asking for a quote for my bike (if you scroll up you'll see I was actually asked about it, I didn't instigate), I was asking why was my post deleted when it was a genuine question that couldn't be answered without the option of the masses. And what better way to reach them than the Internet?

Lastly, as people on forums ALWAYS seem to overlook: everything on this forum will come up on an Internet search. If anyone asks a question on here, when it's answered and the person is helped, it will aid everyone else who has the same problem and looks to the Internet for help. So please, don't be selfish or myopic; take your time to reply with helpful things as opposed to deleting the topic or being sarcastic - other people may stumble across the topic asking the exact same question, only to be greeted by a load of keyboard cyclists who fire off snarky retorts at them!

P.S if people aren't allowed to ask simple, non detrimental questions which cause discussion without being threatened with a ban, then I would prefer to go out with a ban(g), kicking and screaming shouting FREEDOM OF SPEECH MOTHERF@#KERS!!!!

Yours truthfully
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    flubbub this is my take on your post.

You haven't posted on here or contributed to any discussions for over 3 years, but you some how think you can come on here and ask for help for selfish reasons, not because you want to help someone out or felt someone could return a favour to you.

You then get uppity because another mod and no it wasn't me felt that you hadn't bothered to read the rules and acquaint yourself with them.

Perhaps if you contributed to the forum then you may have made sufficient acquaintances to ask someone privately what you thought it might be worth.

I don't set the rules, but if I post then I abide by them as you should.

Might be an idea if you read them before you make any further posts on here.
  • flubbub
    Thanks for your reply Velonutter. Obviously I can't look at this from an outsider's perspective, so it's quite good to get another person's take on it. And no, I read, I don't post. I actually completely forgot I even had an account until a couple of days ago when I had that burning question!

And as a profuse apology: if anything was conveyed selfishly then I'm sorry. I did ask my question for my own purposes (duh), but it seems some on here seem to have been offended.

In regards to the karma side of it, anyone need a hand? I probably can't help, but if it's the Lex Talionis on here I must abide by those rules!
  • flubbub
    Actually, I take that back. If anyone needs advice on adventure cycle touring (ie multiday/month trips carrying all supplies, spares, food water etc over X000kms) I can help with absolutely anything. Likewise with photography and filmmaking.
    Unfortunately I feel this is the wrong forum for those though...