imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited July 2015 in Pro race
woohoo - proper mountain top finish

photos-col-de-la-Pierre-Saint-Martin-le-17-octobre-2009-013.jpg

It seems the road-sign guys think that some sections are pretty steep

PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Last time the col was climbed in the TdF it was the other route (from the south) en route to the Col D'Aubisque and the points at the summit were claimed by a Colombian Mauricio Soler - perhaps Nairo Quintana will look to keep this col in the Colombian climbing fraternity

Comments

• smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    They borrow the profile of this one from the Vuelta?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The story of this climb is encoded in the profile: BMC-SKY-BMC-SKY-BMC-MOV-BMC-MOV

e: Blue sections more FDJ than MOV:
    The top of Col de Labays comes with just over 5 km to go. The climb has been very difficult so far. Many riders will be welcoming the following 4 km with an average gradient of just 4.7 %. This drop in gradients and a light tailwind will make for a fast pace, however. Riders who are also good against the clock, may have an advantage compared to the light climbers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Aah Mauricio Soler. There's a name from the past.

The heat is going to be stifling today apparently. 30C with essentially no breeze.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Aah Mauricio Soler. There's a name from the past.

The heat is going to be stifling today apparently. 30C with essentially no breeze.

There's always someone prominent who suffers on a day like this - first mountain stage and day after a rest day.

Apart from the GC riders, be interesting to see how their climbing support goes too. Movistar always have a strong climbing contingent and Sky seem particularly well stocked this year with Poels, Porte, Konig, Thomas and some extra support from Roche and Kennaugh lower down. How's TVG's mountain support?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    woohoo - proper mountain top finish

photos-col-de-la-Pierre-Saint-Martin-le-17-octobre-2009-013.jpg

It seems the road-sign guys think that some sections are pretty steep

Don't know what you're worrying about - at least it's downhill...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Everything's perfectly aligned for a successful breakaway.

Normally it's all still very close on the first mountain stage, but now there's some good climbers significantly back in GC already. But today or tomorrow teams won't yet start to defend their leader's 3rd/5th/10th/20th GC position, so lots of room to play for the likes of Meintjes, Kudus, Riblon, Wellens, Serpa, Kelderman, Kruiswijk (all more than 30 minutes down), Zubeldia, the Yates's maybe. Can't see Sky being bothered with giving a group like that 15, 20 minutes, and any other team keen to give Sky a helping hand in doing the work on the front. Golden opportunity for someone like Wellens or Kelderman to revive their top 10 hopes.

Only spanner in the works could be 14 July and the likes of Bardet, Rolland, Pinot, Barguil, etc seeing it as their national duty to get in a break - they won't be given as much room.
  • 11202437_10152971589304212_7533120338061128742_n.jpg?oh=4e05b59d0c492fb23455f3c675f78afb&oe=5618763A
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Literally cannot wait :)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Normally it's all still very close on the first mountain stage, but now there's some good climbers significantly back in GC already. But today or tomorrow teams won't yet start to defend their leader's 3rd/5th/10th/20th GC position, so lots of room to play for the likes of Meintjes, Kudus, Riblon, Wellens, Serpa, Kelderman, Kruiswijk (all more than 30 minutes down), Zubeldia, the Yates's maybe. Can't see Sky being bothered with giving a group like that 15, 20 minutes, and any other team keen to give Sky a helping hand in doing the work on the front. Golden opportunity for someone like Wellens or Kelderman to revive their top 10 hopes.

Only spanner in the works could be 14 July and the likes of Bardet, Rolland, Pinot, Barguil, etc seeing it as their national duty to get in a break - they won't be given as much room.

I doubt it will be Wilko. He is debating whether to abandon because of his back problems.

There are a few going for polka too but that should be tomorrow. Arredondo, De Gendt, Teklehaimenot at least.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Think Sky will want to test TVG today, put him under some pressure.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Froome will be on his hack bike.

I thank you.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    A YouTube video that hasn't been removed. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTJEKLf3Lc

Looks good.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

I doubt it will be Wilko. He is debating whether to abandon because of his back problems.

There are a few going for polka too but that should be tomorrow. Arredondo, De Gendt, Teklehaimenot at least.

De Gendt is working on a broken rib, so I don't reckon he'll be up to much
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    Sporza say Lars Boom won't start today
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    As there are 4/5 contenders I tend to think someone will try something today. It might not be a major attack but I think it will be enough to keep the big guns on their guard and enough of an increase in pace to haul back a break. I like J Rod for today. No massive climbs on the way to the final mountain top finish and if he can hang with the pace up the final climb he can out sprint them at the finish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249

He really does struggle after 7 days of racing doesn't he?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This is a long climb. Steepish for 10km before the 5% section. If the pace is low enough for Sky to maintain a train, Quintana can skip off the front like he did 2 years ago on Ventoux (12km out eventually losing 29s to Froome). The harder Sky ride to deter attacks, the shorter the train.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • jimmythecuckoo

So he shouldn't have started. Then he starts. Gets through the cobbled stage and TTT, then goes... wow.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

So he shouldn't have started. Then he starts. Gets through the cobbled stage and TTT, then goes... wow.

I'm not a doctor, but can someone explain how does him having the flu now relates to the low-cortisol result?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Meanwhile, back on the road... Pierrick Fedrigo goes for the housewive's favourite award with a solo break on Bastille Day. He has 6' 45 on the peloton who, in the words of the commentator on pro cycling manager "just don't seem to want to react!!!!"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Meanwhile, back on the road... Pierrick Fedrigo goes for the housewive's favourite award with a solo break on Bastille Day. He has 6' 45 on the peloton who, in the words of the commentator on pro cycling manager "just don't seem to want to react!!!!"

Long day in the saddle.

Constant pressure on the pedals for the flat stuff (no descent to recover on), and then an HC finish.
  • imatfaal
    He has 11 minutes at the moment - and joined by Kenneth Vanbilsen
  • joelsim

Long day in the saddle.

Constant pressure on the pedals for the flat stuff (no descent to recover on), and then an HC finish.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Pierrick won't win the stage today ;)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Today's Bastille day break surprisingly short of Frenchmen..............or men, come to that.
    Shouldn't be a super fast stage, given the size, gap and such.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Today's Bastille day break surprisingly short of Frenchmen..............or men, come to that.
    Shouldn't be a super fast stage, given the size, gap and such.

You can guarantee that Sky will whittle the peloton down very quickly on the climb though (probably to see how Nibali responds)
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Leaders covered 45km in the first hour though. Stannard setting the tempo of the peloton 12min behind.
  • imatfaal
    Dimension Data haven't exactly got into their stride - the website is currently displaying:
    "The Riders are currently taking a break - and so are we.
    Please come back when the race is back on."
    I wish I could think of doing 45km in an hour over bumpy terrain by myself was taking a break
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited July 2015
    Quote from Thibaut Pinot on letour.com this morning.

“The first week has been a long one for me”, the Frenchman said. “I'm looking forward to reach the Pyrenees, do my best and see how my legs respond. I want to evaluate my level in the first climb of the Tour. A new Tour starts for many of us. It's the Tour of the climbers and the attackers. It's going to be fun now. I've patiently waited for the Pyrenees. I hope to be up there."

Leaders are now reaching the first of the three cat4 climbs before La Pierre-Saint-Martin.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Brilliantly, Sporza have an interview with Van Bilsen this morning saying "It's really hard against a hunting peloton"

@gietvangent