Talk me out of it ! Alternatives ?

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Very Very tempted to spend circa £750 on some Amp Hoops Carbon 32mm Tubulars.

The attraction is the Weight 1070 grammes and the price. plus the fact that they are U.K based , Warrantied and seem to have a pro active customer service.

I ve already got some Kysirum Elites so these will stay on the bike for all but Hi days and Dry Days.

Concerns are Running Tubs, Should I add sealent or carry a spare tub. I ve also read that these are basically very generic Chinese rims , hubs and off the shelf spokes, Which if sourced separately most decent wheel builders could knock up for me at a much lower cost.

I don't race, these will be pure vanity wheels, but I can afford them and I d like something other than the slim fast plan which would make me feel a bit quicker and reduce some weight on the bike.

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    When I was riding a lot I ran tubs for 4 /5 years and had one puncture. When I migrated back to clinchers the punctures returned. Carry a tube of vittoria sealant. No idea on the wheels, just tubs.
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Novatec hubs I suspect and cheap spokes mean I would look to a local builder or someone such as Cycleclinic who will build you a set with better hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes for similar money.
  • tim_wand
    When I was riding a lot I ran tubs for 4 /5 years and had one puncture. When I migrated back to clinchers the punctures returned. Carry a tube of vittoria sealant. No idea on the wheels, just tubs.

Cheers Pete. As I ve got a back up set of clinchers for Crappy conditions ( obviously no support car other than the Mrs to bring them out) I m fairly happy to risk tubs as (not experienced by myself) I believe there are a few other advantages with regard to ride quality and feel over clinchers.

In this build they are 400 grammes lighter than the clincher so I cant imagine adding a bit of sealant would add much weight.

My main question which I was hoping some of our resident wheel builders would jump in on, was could similar be built for less money.
  • I had the same questions as you had, called Malcolm at the cycleclinic and told him what i wanted and what it was for and he came back with some suggestions. Also went for tubular and haven't had a punture yet in 5 months , the wheels are fab and i would recommend him and would certainly go back for additional wheels.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    at RRP the amp wheels are a bit pricey. I'm pretty sure wheelsmith can build better for the same price.

I picked up my set of 50mm clinchers for £400 or so when they were on Sportspursuit and while I have no serious complaints (except they are starting to creak a bit which is annoying) I don't think they are a £750 wheelset.

EDIT: just checked Wheelsmith website: 38mm (or 50mm) tubulars with wheelsmith hubs and CX-ray spokes for 710.

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/road-wheels-prices
  • I bought a set of very cheap 23mm wide, 38mm deep lightweight carbons made with bitex hubs and non branded spokes. They weigh 1190g, have stayed true, roll well. I paid £220 for them.

You'd probably be better off going for the Planet-x CT45 tubs for around £399
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited July 2015

Cheers Pete. As I ve got a back up set of clinchers for Crappy conditions ( obviously no support car other than the Mrs to bring them out) I m fairly happy to risk tubs as (not experienced by myself) I believe there are a few other advantages with regard to ride quality and feel over clinchers.

In this build they are 400 grammes lighter than the clincher so I cant imagine adding a bit of sealant would add much weight.

My main question which I was hoping some of our resident wheel builders would jump in on, was could similar be built for less money.

Yeah, I lot of internet banter and my mate told me so type stuff is discussed over tubs. Truth is, the do do all of the things you have mentioned but really not sure why. Regarding speed, no faster nor slower as its down to the legs and terrain but the key point I always refer to is that in my tenure with tubs, they simply did not puncture. On the one occasion I had to fill it with pit stop I limped home from the Cheddar area as the tub had detached at the valve so not a 'regular' puncture as such.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    If you aren't racing I wouldn't bother with tubs - my experience of them is they are just as likely to puncture as an equivalent clincher and when they do the expense and the aggro isn't worth the small reduction in rim weight.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tim_wand
    Thanks, Lots to think on! anecdotally most of the lads I know running tubs have had no problems, other than a mate blew one off the rim topping up with a Co2 inflator and it made a right mess.

I ll definitely contact a wheel builder as I m at the 85 kg mark and would probably benefit from a rim with more spokes than these. Yer I know I could also do with losing 5 kg body mass before 400 grammes rotating mass, but As I said I ve got the dosh and just fancy something different.

A supplier local to me is doing the Paul Curran Planet X 45s at £350 , so I might give them a shot.