Recommend somewhere in north France

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited July 2015 in Holidays
does any one have any recommendations for a 2-3 days trip in northern France ideally 200 miles from Calais/Dunkirk ferry port.

Looking for something picturesque possibly a harbour on the coast, cheap available accommodation.
I'll be using a mtb but not necessarily looking for off road cycling. Probably riding trough villages. Was also thinking of Belgium, Brugge ?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I cycled from Dunkirk to Bruges a few years ago. It's about 75km and an easy, flat ride. We did it in two legs as the ferry docked in the evening so we cycled to the Belgium border and camped at Nieuwpoort before riding on to Bruges the next day.
    Bruges is a lovely city and very bike friendly.

After a couple of days there we rode down to Ypres to look at some of the WW1 memorials and visit the Menin Gate - listening to the Last Post is a must. An overnight stay there and then rode back to Dunkirk.

From memory the whole loop was about 120 miles.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Ignoring any other things, you'd be best travelling through Dunkirk at the moment, what with the current situation thats going on at Calais. In theory it's only on the autoroute coming in to the port, but with the strikes and everything, going via Dunkirk just avoids any potential problems.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.