Les Arcs ????

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited January 2016 in Holidays
Thinking of mixing it up a bit this year and giving the braking bumps of Morzine a miss and trying out Les Arcs.

Anyone got any experiences and information about where to go and what it's like there?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im off there in a few weeks with a friend who has been before. I'm told there are some amazing trails and it's much better suited to trail bikes than DH bikes.
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    It really is better suited to trail bikes, there is a lot of pedalling around, and only really found 2 proper dh trails. They're not too bad on the braking bumps, but it was a lot rougher than PDS stuff. Most of the trails that descend down to Bourg Saint Maurice leave you about a mile from the funicular back up, and the trail signage and trailmaps are pretty awful. It's a place that you can ride, but you'll only really get the most out of it if you take guides. Also, the lifts shut down for about an hour or so at lunch time, so you'll probably end up sat somewhere waiting for the lifts to open again.

Also, if you fly, it's an absolute arse to get to. Come to that, it's also an arse driving.

A suggestion though, if you're not fixed on Les Arcs, maybe think of Tignes. It's a little further up the valley from Bourg Saint Maurice, but it has a fairly condensed trail-network, pretty good maps, a nice selection of trails and free liftpasses.

If you do go for Les Arcs, aim for Arc1600 as that's more or less the centre of the trail network. It is at one end of Les Arcs, but it's where the funicular comes up from the valley. If you are driving and don't mind a bit of a drive each day, there's a nice hostel at Peisey Nancroix that I can recommend. The couple who run it are Brits and really nice.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I got back from Les Arcs yesterday. I wouldn't recommend it. The trails probably were OK a couple years ago. The braking bumps are terrible, berms are blown out and it's all badly in need of maintenance. The trails are also full of first timers on holiday riding down at walking speed, getting a clear run is rare. The longer enduro trails involved a lot of fire road. Jumps and drops are pretty small as well. I had done the biggest stuff on the first day and wanted bigger.
    We also visited Val d'isare which is just up the road. The trails are so much better, also better suited to trail/enduro bikes
  • Wow, sounds like you missed all of the good stuff... but that's not surprising as the really good stuff is not marked or even easy to find.
    I can say from personal and professional experience its well worth the extra expense of hiring a guide. There really is a huge amount on offer in Les Arcs (and the wider Paradiski area). Its a truly beautiful region and unlike the PDS the secret stuff, really is secret. Even on the well known trails you don't often meet other riders.

Shameless plug here, trailAddiciton have been operating in Les Arcs (and the wider Savoie region) for close to 15 years so we have unmatched experience of the trails there... with amazing back country and lift accessed weeks, as well as special weeks such as guided tours of the Trans-Savoie.

Check out a couple of vids here:
    https://vimeo.com/102501156
    https://vimeo.com/110169448
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    TimBud wrote:
    Wow, sounds like you missed all of the good stuff... but that's not surprising as the really good stuff is not marked or even easy to find.
    I can say from personal and professional experience its well worth the extra expense of hiring a guide. There really is a huge amount on offer in Les Arcs (and the wider Paradiski area). Its a truly beautiful region and unlike the PDS the secret stuff, really is secret. Even on the well known trails you don't often meet other riders.

Shameless plug here, trailAddiciton have been operating in Les Arcs (and the wider Savoie region) for close to 15 years so we have unmatched experience of the trails there... with amazing back country and lift accessed weeks, as well as special weeks such as guided tours of the Trans-Savoie.

Check out a couple of vids here:
    [url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">
    [url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">

Do agree sometime it is worth the extra for guiding,they live there and no the place more than just someone turning up for a week,I have stayed with The Whiteroom in theTarentaise valley, and had a great back country week with them,also stayed with Trail Addiction a few years back at Destination X,all I can say is WOW,a week of pure sublime single track,most quite technical for proper grin factor,i'm looking at going back there this year
  • Yeah Destination-X is a real special area... even better that its still pretty off the radar so the trails are pristine.

Let us know what dates your looking at and we'll try and get you back there. :)
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Yeah Destination-X is a real special area... even better that its still pretty off the radar so the trails are pristine.

Let us know what dates your looking at and we'll try and get you back there. :)

I'm not 100% nailed on for what i'm doing yet this year,but i will be decided soon,probs a week with my road bike around La Chambre area,then a week mountain biking somewhere,just a bit pricey with a week to pay for and 1800+ miles of fuel, ferry crossings and road tolls

I have ridden La Varda off the back of Les Arcs great trail with spectacular scenery