How to Save 6 Minutes on a 40k/25 mile TT

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited July 2015 in Road general
It's easy!

If you just buy the new Specialized aero range, it would seem 6 minutes, i.e. about 10% faster, is up for grabs.

So if you can do a 40k TT in 1 hour (40km/h) you will now be able to do it in 54 minutes (44.4km/h).

Or by my calculations, you will be saving 68 watts, as it takes about 244W to do 40kph, and 312 to do 44.

All you have to do is buy the new Venge frameset (120 secs), the new Roval wheels (35 secs), the Evade helmet (44 secs), the new skinsuit (96 secs) and the new S Works shoes (35 secs).

All for a mere £5500 (approx).

Now I quite like Spesh (I have 2 Sworks Tarmacs) but this is stretching credibility to breaking point......

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, those were pretty much my thoughts when I read the press release. I appreciate that the advertising department have to do attention-grabbing stuff to get noticed in the market these days, but some of those claims are quite frankly just embarrassing.

For a brand that supposedly markets itself on a scientific backing (heavy publicity of the Win Tunnel etc etc), to then mask all of that good science in nonsense marketing like that is just stupid. Why don't they just give it to people straight, put the data out there and let people decide for themselves? Dare I say it, but Specialized come across as that stereotypical American-blowing-their-own-trumpet-a-little-too-hard a bit too often for my liking. And this is coming from a Specialized fan too!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is a Specialized fan like a normal one but more aero?
  • bernithebiker

Boom boom!

After posting this, I watched some of their aero vids which are quite informative (17 secs off a 40k TT by shaving your arms anyone?), but they would appear to have shot themselves in the foot, with one of those vids.

It puts Xavier Gomez on a 90's steel tri bike, in old school helmet, no skinsuit, etc. etc. and then fully aeroed up on the new Venge (or is it a Shiv, I forget). Anyway, the gain is 2 minutes, so how can it possibly be 5+ minutes versus an SL4 wearing modern gear?
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    there is a very informative thread over on weight weenies where a Spesh member of staff has taken a lot of time answering questions and explaining the claims.

Perhaps have a read through that before jumping to your own conclusions
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There's so much that's selective in these calculations they offer, but it makes for good marketing soundbites, intelligent people take it with a pinch of salt. Of course it all adds up, there's no denying that, but it doesn't sound right no.

Always makes me laugh the most about aero kit when you see people with high positions and 50mm wheels (which always seem to be clinchers). It's fair enough if you yourself are reasonably aero of course, but these types of people are far from it. I passed a group of about a dozen riding like this the other day all riding together and none of them even putting in enough effort to raise their pulse above on the sofa tv watching it seems.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060

Boom boom!

After posting this, I watched some of their aero vids which are quite informative (17 secs off a 40k TT by shaving your arms anyone?), but they would appear to have shot themselves in the foot, with one of those vids.

It puts Xavier Gomez on a 90's steel tri bike, in old school helmet, no skinsuit, etc. etc. and then fully aeroed up on the new Venge (or is it a Shiv, I forget). Anyway, the gain is 2 minutes, so how can it possibly be 5+ minutes versus an SL4 wearing modern gear?
    Well if he was in an aero tuck on the tri bike I'm surprised he's not more aero than a new Venge in a road position. In fact I'd be a bit suspicious.
  • bernithebiker
    there is a very informative thread over on weight weenies where a Spesh member of staff has taken a lot of time answering questions and explaining the claims.

I've read through quite a few sites and pages now, including those where Chris Hu from Spesh replies to punters' questions, but I'm still sceptical. For example, they claim 35 seconds just for the new Sworks shoes (not even the lace up ones, the 'normal' ones), but then say it depends a lot on the size of your foot and how you position your foot when pedaling.....

Also, Spesh claim the Evade is 30 seconds or so FASTER than a Giro Synthe, and yet Giro say this;

"Using Wind Averaged Drag, a formula that takes into account 72 different yaw angles and calculates a single drag measurement for a standard head angle of 30 degrees and speed of 25mph, the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than any road helmet [we] tested, including the acclaimed Air Attack," say Giro.

So which one is lying?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

Also, Spesh claim the Evade is 30 seconds or so FASTER than a Giro Synthe, and yet Giro say this;

"Using Wind Averaged Drag, a formula that takes into account 72 different yaw angles and calculates a single drag measurement for a standard head angle of 30 degrees and speed of 25mph, the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than any road helmet [we] tested, including the acclaimed Air Attack," say Giro.

So which one is lying?

Well Giro are saying the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than any road helmet they tested.

There's no claim the Synthe is more aerodynamically efficient than the Evade as far as I see, unless they list the helmets they did test (obviously they tested the Air Attack because they refer to it).

But send someone down to Poundland/Halfords and buy some £20 'road helmets' and test against them and you can make the same claim for any helmet (assuming it is more aerodynamically efficient than the Halfords ones!).

It's very easy to make your product test comparatively well if you are the one testing and you choose which products you will test yours against. Giro make no untruth in their statement, but there is more said in what is not said.
  • bernithebiker
    Odd that Cavendish didn't win the sprint in Stage 2 yesterday. As he's riding the new Venge, which gains you 2 minutes over 40km, I was expecting him to come in 8 minutes in front of the others and be watching 2nd place on the telly whilst supping a nice cold one.....?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Odd that Cavendish didn't win the sprint in Stage 2 yesterday. As he's riding the new Venge, which gains you 2 minutes over 40km, I was expecting him to come in 8 minutes in front of the others and be watching 2nd place on the telly whilst supping a nice cold one.....?

That was the problem! Thanks to all the the aero kit, he got to the front way before he expected to and promptly ran out of legs ;)
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I suspect that Spesh have taken the best possible results from every individual scenario (i.e cross wind at 50 mph, 30 degrees onto your left foot...) and added them up for the marketing boys. It's a shame as I think it actually dilutes the significant design job they've done on the new Venge, which has a lot to be admired about it.

The interesting thing for me is that the new frameset only delivers 120 seconds, despite being fairly extreme aero in design and pretty innovative. And much of that is probably the new cockpit. Which continues to make me think that most people will buy the best handling frame (stiffness/compliance/weight) over aero framesets.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've improved my 25 TT time by over 7 minutes this year, by nothing more than pressing the pedals harder. Wish I'd got one of these now and saved a fair wedge of training.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

I've read through quite a few sites and pages now, including those where Chris Hu from Spesh replies to punters' questions, but I'm still sceptical. For example, they claim 35 seconds just for the new Sworks shoes (not even the lace up ones, the 'normal' ones), but then say it depends a lot on the size of your foot and how you position your foot when pedaling.....

So which one is lying?
    Both. as an allround helmet the synthe is really good, the evade keeps your head nice and warm....
  • Is this the same bike that Cavendish doesn't like the breaks on so is going back to the older version?

Great PR if true.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,958
    I've improved my 25 TT time by over 7 minutes this year, by nothing more than pressing the pedals harder. Wish I'd got one of these now and saved a fair wedge of training.

Disgraceful tactics, you should know it's only about buying the latest kit. You should keep quiet about your advantage lest anyone copies you.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,486
    Could we not out it down to man maths?

You have to be grasping at straws for a couple of minutes over a route for 99.999% of riders and have an ego the size of your wallets if you use that as a basis to purchase the latest aero kit.

Next years model will be 12% more efficient while offering supreme levels of comforts and will I predict - supply the owner an orgasm when crossing the finishing line or arriving home.

Personally I think the new Venge looks the dogs danglies but I doubt I'd buy one as it will be superseded within 12 months. A much better investment would be a C60 or bespoke hand made TI frame. Yes sirree. Class and beauty never get superseded as they are simply things of beauty and to be enjoyed visually as well as ridden hard.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Is this the same bike that Cavendish doesn't like the breaks on so is going back to the older version?

Great PR if true.
    I'm sure Specialized went insane over that one. Cav switched back to his old Venge and was quoted that it was because the new bike didn't have the same braking power. What a PR nightmare!