keep bending spindles

SlipSpace
SlipSpace Posts: 46
edited July 2015 in The workshop
Hiya Folks

I run a 1991 Raleigh Scorpio as a commuter. I've converted to single speed except I still have the full block on the rear wheel (screw on type). Changed to a solid spindle and fitted a chain tug. The trouble I now have is that I keep bending spindles on the drive side of the wheel. This then pushes the front of the wheel to the non driveside chainstay. It gets to the point that the dropouts bend to fit the bent spindle! :? I'm running a 42:15 or 75 GI drive.

Am I just buying too cheap for the spindles (just got from the LBS) or is this a common issue? Any tips greatly appreciated to prevent this from keep happening.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spindles as in axle?

the spin on design was flawed from the start the drive side bearing is not supported. as it is to inboard.

change the rear wheel to one with bearings closer to the frame. may be splash out on a SS specific one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SlipSpace
    Thanks Nick. Yep, spindle as in axle, that's what I've always called them for some reason.

You're right, there is a good length outboard of the bearings so the bend is not necessarily a suprise but I don't remember having the issue for some years. Don't all geared bikes have this problem though? SS specific wheel is certainly the way forward but the £££ are in issue at present.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Sheldon Brown describes the differences between freehubs and freewheels in some detail

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I suppose you've got 126mm dropouts at the back? You may find it hard to get a freehub equipped back wheel in that spacing, if you do you can just get a single speed conversion kit (one gear + spacers).

Or you could make less of an effort when you pedal ;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks Nick. Yep, spindle as in axle, that's what I've always called them for some reason.

You're right, there is a good length outboard of the bearings so the bend is not necessarily a suprise but I don't remember having the issue for some years. Don't all geared bikes have this problem though? SS specific wheel is certainly the way forward but the £££ are in issue at present.
    nope that is why they changed the design to cassettes as it allowed the bearings to sit further out.

it kinda happened when the new ATBs started being riden off road.

rear hub spacing could be an issue as mentioned but as it is a SS you can remove spacers to change the O.L.D. of a cassette hub and then have the dish corrected not suitable to do on all hubs as spokes can get a bit vertical.

you do have options. and any half decent wheel builder should be able to either sort out an existing wheel or build one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SlipSpace
    Ah, I see, understood now, thanks for the education guys :D

Yes, 126mm dropouts (although could be 120mm as the frame stickers proudly state 10 speed index SIS :D ) but being a steel frame it has some spring in it. I'd have thought a few mm a side wouldn't be too much of a problem, or is it?