Best winter bib tights with decent straps

DavidfromWarboys
DavidfromWarboys Posts: 80
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, have been meaning for a while to pick up some winter big tights while the out of season discounts were on so yesterday my heavily discounted Castelli Sorprasso's turn up from Wiggle, in my usual Castelli size of XL.

Two problems, they were way too small, something I found so surprising that not only did I check the packaging again but also the label inside the garment! Secondly, the straps were so very thin, that even in the correct size I'm sure I would n't get on with them. Wish they had been like my bib shorts, there would have been a pair of XXL on the way.

So, I'm after some high quality black winter bib tights with wide-ish straps, ideally for less than £100.

Clever people, do your thing ...........

Thank you

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I like these (reduced to £78 at Merlin):
    http://www.merlincycles.com/sportful-r-d-cycling-bib-tights-71272.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Bib+Tights+%26+Trousers&ucpo=14052&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7geapr6ycvuCANIniSgxIzfAdB1OGrjk5xZgK2W2sJRoCSO3w_wcB
    I particularly like the straps on them. Very similar to the Castelli Sorpasso (Castelli and a Sportful are sister companies I believe). Warm as toast as well.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Thanks, they are interesting, good reviews and I may well end up going there.

I know I'm being picky but I'd prefer something with straps to go under my feet, is there such a pair of cycling tights in that price bracket ......... anybody????
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Don't be put off by the lack of stirrups. The Sportfuls (or my Sorpasso/San Remos, or Mavics for that matter) never ride up, despite only having a zipper closure and silicon ankle grippers. In fact I tried an old pair of winter tights with stirrups not so long ago, as all my "best" kit was in the wash, and I certainly found them to be less comfortable than bibs without without the stirrups. Each to their own I know, but I also forgot to mention that the chamois in the Sportful R&D bibs are the best I've ever used.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I really didnt think I would get on with the Castelli straps when I tried some bodypaint shorts a few years back, so went with Free Aeros instead. Since then I forced myself to try those straps on the Sorpasso and the last two winters they have been fantastic. They dont inspire confidence beforehand but on the bike you never notice them - they may even be better than the traditional straps. Might be worth persevering if you like them otherwise. Those Sportful ones look good though - look like the same material as the Sorpassos but with a different strap - one which I have on a pair of shorts that I got recently and seem good although not ridden them yet.
  • Ok, so who has Rapha pro winter bib tights please? can I have a bit of a review?

Having just done their online survey I am sporting a 20% off voucher and loitering with intent :-)

It's either a single pair of these or Gore Bike Wear Power 2.0 thermals or DHB Vaeon Zero's, either of which I could get two pairs and have change!!!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I can recommend DHB Vaeon Zero. Just as nice quality as some of my more expensive kit. Not quite as perfect a fit as my Rapha Pro Race shorts but nearly :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,609
    These Etxeondo tights are my go to tights for the depths of winter.

The brand is Spanish, and really top drawer kit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/etxeondo-orhi-bib-tight/

If you buy 2, they come in at less than £70 a pair - half price - total utter bargain, and as already mentioned, you really do not need the straps underneath if they fit properly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It does depend on size as well but i found the gore ones looser than castelli which if you are bigger built may be an option. I just use castelli tights as i find they fit better but go a size larger so they fit properly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ok, so who has Rapha pro winter bib tights please? can I have a bit of a review?

Having just done their online survey I am sporting a 20% off voucher and loitering with intent :-)

It's either a single pair of these or Gore Bike Wear Power 2.0 thermals or DHB Vaeon Zero's, either of which I could get two pairs and have change!!!
    Just bought a pair myself. Not really the weather for it though. Ask me next summer!

Feel damn thick (I have some thermal PT bibs ill probably sell now). I am a medium in shorts and while the fit is spot on, the legs are a pinch short. (I am 6ft, 32 inseam)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ok, so who has Rapha pro winter bib tights please? can I have a bit of a review?

Their deep winter ones without the pad are really good. No pad, but I go for ones without a pad though every time for cold conditions, have never looked back since doing so. It doesn't have to be as extremely cold as you'd imagine to use them, I go straight from merino knee warmers to these. I have Santini ones too which are also very good and cost a lot less, I don't think they are available any more though and have been superceded so can't point you at them. (I'm not a raphalite, but the deep winter tights are good).
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442

If you buy 2, they come in at less than £70 a pair - half price - total utter bargain, and as already mentioned, you really do not need the straps underneath if they fit properly.

I bought 2 of these last month for next winter. Have them in shorts as well, my assos uno's only get worn if the Etxeondo's are in the wash.
  • Ok, so I have ordered the exteondo's, some Gore and some DHB zeros to try. Oh, and as I did the survey and had a 20% off code, a pair of Rapha's. I'll try them all on then choose one depending on how I like them compared to the cost. I guess I'll love the Rapha's as I really like all their other stuff I've bought but as I'm likely to need more than one pair I hope I convince myself the others are almost as good.

Sizing was a nightmare, everything from L to XXL! In most I was the right size in e.g. Inside leg, and miles out in waist or chest. I must be some kind of freak ;-)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,609

I bought 2 of these last month for next winter. Have them in shorts as well, my assos uno's only get worn if the Etxeondo's are in the wash.

Yep I have the short version as well, superb and comfy item - I tried Assos, but didn't get on with the pad or the cut i must be honest. If memory serves it was the S5 and S7 I tried.

To the OP - be interested to hear what comparisons you make and conclusions you come too - keep us posted!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I bought a pair of these last autumn and was really happy with them, nice pad, nice and warm, wide shoulder straps and despite no foot loops, never rode up.

Unfortunately they had to be cut off me when I fell off and broke my femur but I am going to get another pair when a discount code pops up next, also going to get the shorts to match.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/santini-santini-bib-tights-santini-max-ego-max-2-pad-bib-tights/santzbbt215

They size up well too, I'm 6'1" 34" waist and the large fitted perfectly.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • So ...... the good news is that I have them all ......... the bad news is that I only managed to successfully navigate the quagmire of sizing three out of the four times.

The Exteondo's - don't look or feel like they would be warm. The straps a thin and twist 27 times when I put them on.

The Gore's - are pretty good and look / feel as though they would be warmer. Just based on a couple of try on's the pad feels like the worst, just.

The Dhb's - feel surprisingly good. Look and feel warm but the fit is a bit slack in places, around the arse next to the pad. These have a zip up the front and stirrups. I know I said I'd prefer a pair with stirrups, but I've changed my mind now, sorry :-(

The Rapha's - don't fit!!!!! They feel wonderful. I don't like all the blatant advertising of having RAPHA in huge white letters across the arse and up the thigh. Even with my 20% off code they still cost more than twice the price of any of the others. Think I need to swap them for the right size before I can decide if they are worth it.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    There's a 10% code off for Ribble at present, MID10, I'm going to order the Santini ones.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Had the misfortune to need to go London today which was a nightmare considering the tube strick (struggling to sympathetic to those sine I read they start on £50k a year!). However, it did give me the opportunity to pop into the Rapha store. Spoke to a lovely young Scottish guy was very helpful but unfortunately they did have any of the larger sizes in stock (wtf!) anyway, looking at the sizing guide, which failed me in the first instance the sizes are:-

Large waist 34 inside leg 34. These are my actual measurement but the tights are way too short.
    XL waist 36, inside still 34 :-(
    XXL waist 38 inside leg 36

So, in order to get a longer leg I need tights that are 4" too big for me in the waist.

That is n't going to work :-(

Pops off to the Ribble site to check out the Santini's. Thanks for the tip :-)
  • Sadly Santini's sizing same as Rapha. I am L in waist and chest and 2XL or possibly even 3XL in height. So to get tights of the right length (based on my height) there will be 3 or 4 inch excess around my waist :-(
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    ASSOS bibs are based on height and for the next 20 hours there is 35% of at Royles on cycle clothing using the discount voucher - CA35