Can I use a CX bike in Morzine?

projexe
projexe Posts: 6
edited July 2015 in Holidays
I see that there are different forums for mountain bikers and road bikers so I've posted this in both as it's a bit of a crossover.

I'm going on a family holiday to Morzine in a few weeks. I'm primarily a roady, but instead of taking my road bike I'm considering taking my CX bike thinking that I might be able to use it both on the roads and on the trails. For those who know Morzine - is this a realistic option? I'd appreciate any advice

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes i belive there are many suitable tracks and some that you might also have some fun on.

dont fall for the hire bikes or there may not be any going back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    I'm not 100% sure what a cx bike is, but I think it's one of the rigid things. In which case, I'd say probably not. It's rare to find any trails out there that aren't horribly rough. Riding a hardtail out there is pure suffering, even full-sus bikes tend to hurt a bit. You could go out of the way and find the smoother back-trails, but you're looking at guiding then.

I'm assuming you'll be looking for xc style stuff rather than full on dh action, so you might get away with it, though I'd suggest a proper trail bike if you were going for that. That said, there's no reason not to just road it up. There's quite a lot of nice routes, and the roads out there are swarming with roadies.

If you're determined to head out onto the main trails though, my best recommendation would be to pick up a dh bike for around £6-700 on ebay, or online somewhere. Take it out there, ride it, bring it back and sell it on again. Even if you get a lower price than you bought it for, you're still saving on rental.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • projexe
    projexe Posts: 6
    Thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply. I'll probably take the cyclocross bike for road use (with 25mm tyres) and perhaps a spare set of tyres for trails with the family but I think the consensus seems to be not to use it on the mountains. I will hire a bike for that.