Ashes 2015

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,385
edited August 2015 in The cake stop
To continue the fine trend of sporting debate in the Tennis and F1 threads here, does anyone have any predictions, preferences, insight or even interest in the series?

Will Mitchell Johnson destroy England? Can our young batsmen worry the scorers? Do you care?
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Well judging by the commentary today it appears the pitch is quite lifeless for the first test, although the old adage you can't really tell until both teams have had a bat applies. I hope we aren't going to prepare 5 dull pitches in the hope of blunting out their attack and grinding out a 1-0 win in the series. I understand using home conditions to your advantage and of course I want England to win but I'd also like some entertainment too!

Our lack of a front line spinner could be an issue over a series but I think batting wise Root, Stokes and Buttler will hopefully provide bit of a spark.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Watched Paul Allott and his cricket writers on Sunday discussing the Ashes. All agreed that the decision to play the 1st test in Cardiff was a financial one and not a cricket one. They felt that the pitch would offer little to the bowlers.
  • verylonglegs
    Watched Paul Allott and his cricket writers on Sunday discussing the Ashes. All agreed that the decision to play the 1st test in Cardiff was a financial one and not a cricket one. They felt that the pitch would offer little to the bowlers.

I nearly posted something about this before as it bugs me. An Ashes test has no place in Cardiff imo, not at the expense of traditional grounds like Old Trafford and Headingley. Part of the problem I think is it's now done on a bidding process where the county grounds submit a financial bid to the ECB to host a test. This of course goes against the interest of the game as to make a winning bid pay the county then has to maximise its revenue to recoup costs and make a profit so it's in their interest to produce a lifeless pitch that will make the game last the full 5 days for the most ticket money.

If they want to spread the game to new venues then fair enough, give them test matches and one-dayers against teams like Sri Lanka, West Indies and Pakistan. Not the likes of Australia and South Africa.
  • ballysmate
    I realise that it is the England and Wales Cricket Board but nothing north of Trent Bridge?
  • laurentian
    So, before the first ball is bowled today (and undoubtedly stays low!) it all looks set for a close weekend. I'd say England have the upper hand, but not by much.

I agree with verylonglegs. Preparing a pitch for home advantage is one thing but neutering any sign of life in it cannot be good. Despite that, Moeen seems to be making the most of it.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    Aussies all out for 308!!

. . . now watch the rain screw it up for us on Sunday . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I agree with verylonglegs. Preparing a pitch for home advantage is one thing but neutering any sign of life in it cannot be good.
    Michael Vaughan must have read this 5 minutes ago as he's just said [on TMS] that everybody is entitled to their opinion but anybody who believes [that] "is an id... welcome to think that, but is wrong".

Good match so far, and Lord Sir Earl Geoffrey Boycott is on now so I'll stick with it for a bit longer then go home.
  • laurentian
    I agree with verylonglegs. Preparing a pitch for home advantage is one thing but neutering any sign of life in it cannot be good.
    Michael Vaughan must have read this 5 minutes ago as he's just said [on TMS] that everybody is entitled to their opinion but anybody who believes [that] "is an id... welcome to think that, but is wrong".

Good match so far, and Lord Sir Earl Geoffrey Boycott is on now so I'll stick with it for a bit longer then go home.

I just heard that myself! . . . am suitably embarrassed.

Boycott and Blofeld on now - great stuff.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    Game is in an excellent position now, my concerns were obviously completely unjustified. When the pundits were talking about the pitch on day one I feared we were in for a repeat of that bloody dire test against India at Trent Bridge last year.

Already looking forward to watching it in the pub with a pint or two tomorrow afternoon when the Aussies bat again.
  • laurentian
    Game is in an excellent position now, my concerns were obviously completely unjustified. When the pundits were talking about the pitch on day one I feared we were in for a repeat of that bloody dire test against India at Trent Bridge last year.

Already looking forward to watching it in the pub with a pint or two tomorrow afternoon when the Aussies bat again.

Should be great tomorrow. I think we should get the middle/lower order batting like a one day game now Root, Buttler, Stokes, Moeen swinging a bit. Possibly declare mid morning tomorrow? . . . just need to think about the rain that looks probable for Sunday
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Throwing it away now 245 - 8
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • verylonglegs
    No need to panic, 400 has been chased down to win a test less than half a dozen times in history. Australia are going to have to bat for nearly 2 days to just to get a draw.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479

I nearly posted something about this before as it bugs me. An Ashes test has no place in Cardiff imo, not at the expense of traditional grounds like Old Trafford and Headingley. Part of the problem I think is it's now done on a bidding process where the county grounds submit a financial bid to the ECB to host a test. This of course goes against the interest of the game as to make a winning bid pay the county then has to maximise its revenue to recoup costs and make a profit so it's in their interest to produce a lifeless pitch that will make the game last the full 5 days for the most ticket money.

If they want to spread the game to new venues then fair enough, give them test matches and one-dayers against teams like Sri Lanka, West Indies and Pakistan. Not the likes of Australia and South Africa.

I seem to recall the previous Ashes test at Cardiff produced a match that would have graced any ground and despite the 'expert' opinions on the Sophia Gardens wicket it's hardly been a dull test so far. Plenty of wickets and some fast scoring.

Some of the 'traditional' test grounds got a sense of entitlement and assumed they'd get their allocation of the big matches indefinitely so didn't invest in their facilities while other County grounds seized the initiative and built modern stadia suited to modern needs. They've had the kick up the ar$e they needed and as a result have finally started to develop their grounds to modern standards. Also, without intending to be biased, Cardiff has to be the best place in the UK for major sports events due to the proximity of the grounds to the city centre.
  • verylonglegs
    D'oh, realised and obvious glaring error in my post about Aus batting 2 days for a draw, 2 days play is 160 overs at least and even at less than 3 runs an over is enough for a winning total where as the game so far has been at around 4 runs an over. But I still don't think they can bat for two days.

Pross, I have reservations about the current system as it plays the counties against each other. They can all invest a packet in facilities to try and win the rights to host test matches but the number of games available means some counties will miss out. I just hope they are well managed with plans in place that allow them to survive if they don't secure the lucrative games. It's not too difficult to imagine one of them over-strecthing themselves and getting caught out.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Well played England!

That's set up the series nicely. Think it was important England got off to a good start, as think the Aussies have it in them to bounce back, whereas if Australia had won it could have been a long summer for England fans.
  • verylonglegs
    Fantastic start to the series, has definitely set it up nicely. This was always the sporting summer for me along with the TdF.

My final comment on the pitch debate...Boycott said today on TMS that his sources have said that all the grounds have been asked to produce slower wickets this summer. However this test still finished in 4 days with high run rates which belies that. I think it was a combination of English bowlers expertise with a Duke ball in home conditions and Australia's refusual to change tactics according to the situation at hand, they were seemingling intent on aggressive tactics before the toss was even made and never looked to revise it. Maybe the 5-0 whitewash at home made them over-confident.

Very happy with the result and really looking forward to the Lord's test.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The only problem with the pitch was that, as the scores show, the best batting was on day 1 and it progressively got harder to make a score. If all the pitches are like this then the toss pretty much decides the result between teams of similar ability. It would be nice if you didn't know the result 48 hours before the actual result.
    By common consent England outdid Oz in all three disciplines in this match, and dished out a right royal stuffing in the process. Hurrah!!! If the Aussies can learn how to win the toss it should balance things up a bit and produce a much more even match, so to make it interesting England should wheel out FEC Atherton M in his bathchair for the toss, being as he famously managed to lose 200* successive tosses, thereby giving Mr Clark & his bunch of convicts (Mitchell Johnson? Straight off the boat...) the benefit of a 100 yard headstart in the next match. That should even things up a bit.

It's a good time to be stuck in front of a telly waiting to fetch & carry various offspring throughout the day & night. TdF, Ashes, a bit of tennis occasionally and if it gets really bad, the Audi Cup for a bit of football. Lovely.

* made-up figure, obvs.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The only problem with the pitch was that, as the scores show, the best batting was on day 1 and it progressively got harder to make a score. If all the pitches are like this then the toss pretty much decides the result between teams of similar ability. It would be nice if you didn't know the result 48 hours before the actual result.

Like most cricket pitches then?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ballysmate
    There were 1269 runs scored in total at a cracking rate. The wicket offered little to the bowlers insomuch as it afforded little spin and not much off the seam. In fact it was quite slow.
    The wicket was soooo good for batting on day 1 that England were reduced to 40 for 3 weren't they? It was sooo poor on day 4 that Australia were 97 for 1 and all results were possible. So don't get whinging about the wicket being to blame for your loss.
    As for preparing a pitch to bat well on day 5, we may address that if the Aussies can make the game last that long eh? :lol:
  • laurentian
    There were 1269 runs scored in total at a cracking rate. The wicket offered little to the bowlers insomuch as it afforded little spin and not much off the seam. In fact it was quite slow.
    The wicket was soooo good for batting on day 1 that England were reduced to 40 for 3 weren't they? It was sooo poor on day 4 that Australia were 97 for 1 and all results were possible. So don't get whinging about the wicket being to blame for your loss.
    As for preparing a pitch to bat well on day 5, we may address that if the Aussies can make the game last that long eh? :lol:

Thanks for doing the sums . . . I was thinking that the runs were spread out a little better than some of the above comments would suggest.

Great start by England and a couple of outstanding performances in Root and Moeen. I think we had to win this one to stand any chance of winning the Ashes this summer so roll on Lords . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ballysmate
    Not all fun and roses in the Aussie camp?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-3163017/Australia-captain-Michael-Clarke-suggests-selectors-leaked-Shane-Watson-s-axing.html

To be fair, no surprise that neither Haddin nor Watson are to play, for form reasons aside from any personal problems.
  • laurentian
    Weather looks set fair for Lords and its good to see the Aussies with a few selection problems and/or internal wrangling!

Looks like Moeen will be OK, so all's looking good for us.

I can't help but think they'll come back at us but hope we can win this one as I've got tickets for the potential "clincher" at Trent Bridge.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    BBC still reporting that Moeen is doubtful, anyone have a better update? I need to update my Fantasy Team pronto if he's out!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • verylonglegs
    Aus bat first, no excuses for them now eh?
  • laurentian
    BBC still reporting that Moeen is doubtful, anyone have a better update? I need to update my Fantasy Team pronto if he's out!

Moeen is playing (possibly late information for you!)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    This dull, flat and boring wicket has no place in Test cricket. They should ditch Lords from the test circuit, living on tradition and stopping ambitious counties getting tests. Plus London has another test venue.

:wink:
  • verylonglegs
    I can only refer to my second post on the thread and also what Boycott claimed, that it's at the request of the ECB for all wickets this series. Test cricket can't afford a whole summer of this if it's to have a long term future worldwide. Not good after today but I really hope to be proved wrong before the end of August.
  • laurentian
    There was surprisingly little discussion during today's play. This pitch is even worse than Cardiff.

Not a lot to discuss really! Dead track, near faultless Aussie batting, one wicket and one missed catch. 4 days to go but beginning to think a draw is about the best we can hope for . . . 3 wickets before lunch could make it interesting but can't see that happening.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    Rogers goes at last! for 173 - what a knock. 2 more in the next half hour would be useful.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Rogers goes at last! for 173 - what a knock. 2 more in the next half hour would be useful.
    Great :D We might be able to bowl them out for under 600
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי