Best place to buy a Garmin 810 - Ignore 1000?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
Guys, as it's my birthday coming up, and I have the vectors allegedly arriving today, I am thinking of asking my gf, and assorted family members if they would be willing to chip in towards a Garmin 810 - I currently have a mostly reliable 500, but it has started occasionally dropping satellites, and not recording my ride properly - though luckily Strava still seeems to be able to work out the actual distance :?

I've read a lot of reviews of the 1000, and for the money it doesn't seem to offer a lot over the 810, or do people think otherwise?

The best price I can find is bike-discount (Who I have shopped with more than once and had brilliant service including easy and free returns) and the only other place that comes close is Handtec.

BD is £202 with free delivery, Handtec works out at a little over £210 including delivery.

I only need the unit as I have cadence covered and more than one HR Strap knocking about.

Everything else I have bought from BD has been clothing based, but I'm just wondering if there is any reason not to buy the Garmin from Germany - plug socket might be different, but then I have existing Garmin/generic chargers which I assume will work fine.
And I imagine warranty will be unnaffected, and fully operational.

Any comments or good spots for a better buy?

And with the 520 appearing soon, that might mean an 820 will appear soon as well, so perhaps the 810 will then be heavily discounted, but then will I hanker after an 820 anyway........ :?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Guys, as it's my birthday coming up, and I have the vectors allegedly arriving today, I am thinking of asking my gf, and assorted family members if they would be willing to chip in towards a Garmin 810 - I currently have a mostly reliable 500, but it has started occasionally dropping satellites, and not recording my ride properly - though luckily Strava still seeems to be able to work out the actual distance :?

I've read a lot of reviews of the 1000, and for the money it doesn't seem to offer a lot over the 810, or do people think otherwise?

The best price I can find is bike-discount (Who I have shopped with more than once and had brilliant service including easy and free returns) and the only other place that comes close is Handtec.

BD is £202 with free delivery, Handtec works out at a little over £210 including delivery.

I only need the unit as I have cadence covered and more than one HR Strap knocking about.

Everything else I have bought from BD has been clothing based, but I'm just wondering if there is any reason not to buy the Garmin from Germany - plug socket might be different, but then I have existing Garmin/generic chargers which I assume will work fine.
    And I imagine warranty will be unnaffected, and fully operational.

Any comments or good spots for a better buy?

And with the 520 appearing soon, that might mean an 820 will appear soon as well, so perhaps the 810 will then be heavily discounted, but then will I hanker after an 820 anyway........ :?

If you've got neither I'd get the 1000 for the £80 difference.
    If you've got an 800 or 810 then it's not worth the upgrade.
    And it charges off a USB cable (800 off mini usb, 1000 off micro) so doesn't matter what plug they provide.

The 1000 is newer and shinier. Also, this is you we're talking about. You'll get the 1000 :twisted:

I did.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I had an 810 for a few days and I sent it back as I thought the screen was pretty terrible, and the unit itself just looked old fashioned. I haven't seen a 1000 in person but from reviews it looks much nicer.

Screen specs of current units are thus

2.2" @ 121dpi

2.36" @ 141dpi

2.6" @ 111dpi

3" @ 156dpi

You can see that the 1000 has a significantly better resolution. So IMO is the one to go for over the 810. Of course if an 820 comes out with a similar screen to the 520 then that's going to be the best of all worlds.

Personally I'm going for the 520, if only because 95% of my riding is on roads I know and for those I don't I can follow a pre planned route or check the map on my phone.
  • dhope
    I had an 810 for a few days and I sent it back as I thought the screen was pretty terrible, and the unit itself just looked old fashioned. I haven't seen a 1000 in person but from reviews it looks much nicer.

Screen specs of current units are thus

2.2" @ 121dpi

2.36" @ 141dpi

2.6" @ 111dpi

3" @ 156dpi

You can see that the 1000 has a significantly better resolution. So IMO is the one to go for over the 810. Of course if an 820 comes out with a similar screen to the 520 then that's going to be the best of all worlds.

Personally I'm going for the 520, if only because 95% of my riding is on roads I know and for those I don't I can follow a pre planned route or check the map on my phone.

Having gone from an 800 to a 1000 the screen is definitely noticeably improved.
    The rest, meh. Routing is still crap (unless following a course). And the rest is the same really. The auto upload at the end is nice.

If they enable Connect IQ on the 1000 - which they might (and definitely wont on the 810) though then there's a real benefit.
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    it is worth looking for white box returns on wiggle. I picked my 800 up for less than ebay second hand price with full warranty (which I did have to use when the speed / cadence died).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    always get the newest and greatest garmin when buying.

if my 810 died id get the 1000 tomorrow.
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    I have the 1000 and have had no problems whatsoever with it although don't use the call and text alerts which seem to work intermittently according to the garmin forums. Given the choice again I'd buy the 1000.
  • daniel_b
    All interesting stuff chaps.

Hadn't genuinely considered the 1000, but as you are all raving about it (comparitively) I will carry out some research (Reading DC Rainmaker reviews.......) over the next few days.
    Is it Meanredspider on here who has had a bad experience with the 1000?

It's 40% more expensive, which is a fair old chunk, and much as I do spend money, I definitely have to feel I am getting VFM, in my twisted mind anyway.

I think ideally it would seem I should probably hold off, and see if an 820 variant is released - that sounds like it would be the perfect blend, and I expect will be cheaper than the current price of a 1000.
    So if it's not majorly better it will be a struggle for me.
    The way I justified the vector 2's to myself is that they are an evolution of the old one, they are easily swappable between multiple bikes, and the clinching factor is that a pair was costing me £27 more than a single one would do in the UK - at least at the time I ordered.
    They have arrived and are sat safely in my rucksack!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the 810 has incredibly dated internals.

it still works fine but its very old tech

in fact what garmin should have done is just pushed the 810 firmware onto the 800
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Wiggle will price match Bike Discount, I've never had issues with BD, but maybe worth knowing.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/productpricing#pricematchpolicy
  • dhope
    All interesting stuff chaps.

Hadn't genuinely considered the 1000, but as you are all raving about it (comparitively) I will carry out some research (Reading DC Rainmaker reviews.......) over the next few days.
    Is it Meanredspider on here who has had a bad experience with the 1000?

It's 40% more expensive, which is a fair old chunk, and much as I do spend money, I definitely have to feel I am getting VFM, in my twisted mind anyway.

I think ideally it would seem I should probably hold off, and see if an 820 variant is released - that sounds like it would be the perfect blend, and I expect will be cheaper than the current price of a 1000.
    So if it's not majorly better it will be a struggle for me.
    The way I justified the vector 2's to myself is that they are an evolution of the old one, they are easily swappable between multiple bikes, and the clinching factor is that a pair was costing me £27 more than a single one would do in the UK - at least at the time I ordered.
    They have arrived and are sat safely in my rucksack!

I really doubt there would be an 820.

The 800 series was the flagship.
    The 1000 series has superseded that.

200 series = cheap, entry level
    500 series = good but no maps
    1000 = all singing and dancing

A new 8x0 just doesn't fit anywhere

There might be a 1010, but I think it's too soon for that too

It was MRS that had a bad experience with the 1000. Was mostly battery life I think. Battery is certainly less than the 800/810 but I've still done a leisurely century ride on it (i.e. 7hrs rather than 5) and it was fine.

It's the apps I'd consider. Look into ConnectIQ for the Forerunner 920XT / Fenix3 / EPIX lines. The 1000 is in that release cycle. The 800 series will never get ConnectIQ. 1000 might.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • markhewitt1978

200 series = cheap, entry level
    500 series = good but no maps
    1000 = all singing and dancing

200 series is dead, it's not even on the Garmin website any more.

It basically looks like

20/25 = cheap, entry level
    520 = good but no maps
    1000 = all signing and dancing

The Edge touring is a bit of a seperate series to that.

That is as you allude to pretty comprehensive already. An 820 might see some people getting that instead of a 520, but just as likely see people lot getting a 1000.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I was out riding with a friend this morning who happened to mention he's selling his surplus 800 and for stupid money in fact i had planned to sell my 705 for the same amount.

although as has already been touched on several times battery life on the newer series is pretty pants so i might hang on to it for the next time I do a +12 day.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    I bought a 1000 recently, and think it's great. I planned to just use it for longer rides, and keep using the 500 for commuting, because I really like its small size, but the 1000 is just so much better in every respect that I use it all the time now. I realize 500/1000 not the comparison the OP is making, but just my 2p worth on how good the 1000 is.

Some of the benefits:
      - maps, routing etc. Actually very good for following pre-set courses and just general orientation. - upload via Bluetooth to Garmin Connect on iphone, which can then automatically send to Strava. Not essential, but actually quite nice in practice. - set different profiles (commute, train, race etc) with different data screens - have as many sensors as you like and it just picks them up automatically (e.g. I have cadence sensors on two different bikes - with the 500 you have to pick which one you want it to use) - better at picking up satellites than the 500 - nice screen - they say the firmware will be upgraded later in the year to allow for Strava segments as with the new 520

DC Rainmaker has an excellent thorough review though I think a lot of the issues he identifies have been sorted out by now. Battery life isn't great, but it's seen me through 5hr+ rides.

Handtec were doing it for around £300 and Cycle Surgery did a price match on it.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • itboffin
    i used my 810 to meet up with a friend yesterday, with did a Garmin ad and met up on route, worked perfectly although i'd say they're missing a trick not building the tracker into the app.

As for 1000 i'd say the short battery life rules that one out for me, unless a device can do 10+ hours its pretty much useless for epic days out, and yes i know you can buy on the move chargers but who wants to have to carry spare batteries for one days riding.

i'm using my 705 now for commuting and not only is it recording the correct amount of ascent which the 200 & 500 rarely do its also equipped with nice free OSM maps with gradients and routing, in case i decide to go off piste.

which where myself and the OP live is surprisingly easy to find yourself staring at a map and scratching your head.

I'd say if you want a neat compact cycle computer with reasonably good battery life get the 810 and use something like viewranger app on your phone for OS style mapping, strava segments and all that other fluff.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I fairly regularly use my garmin for rides that are over 8 hours, sometimes up to 12. If the 1000 couldn't do that, then i'd be lost...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Another advantage of the 1000 over the others is that it uses GLONASS, the Russian version of GPS, in addition and in parallel with GPS, which apparently improves accuracy. GLONASS is supposed to be better than GPS when the satellite view is partially obscured, but I don't know how or why. I upgraded from the 800 to the 1000, and I've had no problems with the 1000. I like it.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • markhewitt1978
    Another advantage of the 1000 over the others is that it uses GLONASS, the Russian version of GPS, in addition and in parallel with GPS, which apparently improves accuracy. GLONASS is supposed to be better than GPS when the satellite view is partially obscured, but I don't know how or why. I upgraded from the 800 to the 1000, and I've had no problems with the 1000. I like it.

The 510 uses GLONASS too. It's only really the 810 in the range now that doesn't. Even my iPhone does!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Lots of suggestions that use of GLONASS reduces battery life though...
  • rower63
    yes I imagine it would. I seem to recall there's a setting that allows you to switch between GPS and/or GLONASS on or off.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • itboffin
    yes I imagine it would. I seem to recall there's a setting that allows you to switch between GPS and/or GLONASS on or off.

where's that then?
  • rower63
    where's that then?
    from the front screen, touch the settings "knife and fork" image at the bottom, then System => GPS => GPS Mode
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • dhope
    I've revised my opinion.

Forget the 810
    Forget the 1000

Get a 520. It has maps now.

Seems that you can load a course/route and it displays over a map.
    The thing it doesn't do is find its own route. But that feature is pretty awful on the 800/810/1000 anyway so that's no huge loss.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    If that is true it'll be a pita as theses no SD slot so you'd be limited to just a few small OSM tiles at a time.
  • markhewitt1978
    If that is true it'll be a pita as theses no SD slot so you'd be limited to just a few small OSM tiles at a time.

50Mb worth apparently. Enough for your home town but not much else.
  • daniel_b
    I've revised my opinion.

Forget the 810
    Forget the 1000

The thing it doesn't do is find its own route. But that feature is pretty awful on the 800/810/1000 anyway so that's no huge loss.

That's interesting, I wouldn't use a 'route finder' option anyway, I will always plot my route beforehand.
    I wonder what quantifies as a 'map' though in Garmin speak, we all know how useless the basemaps are.
    I probably have a small window of time where I could 'cancel' the 1000 request, unless I put it off until Christmas I suppose. No huge price difference, as the 520 in the few places it seems to be available is £230, versus £270 for the 1000 - which does have a nice big screen.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    I've revised my opinion.

Forget the 810
    Forget the 1000

That's interesting, I wouldn't use a 'route finder' option anyway, I will always plot my route beforehand.

How much of an impact the 50mb internal memory has though... as ITB and markhewitt mentioned.

If it's £230 vs £270 then get the 1000 still possibly
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • apreading
    Just checked - my Open Street Maps are about 600Mb. I think 50 Mb will get you an area something like a county, maybe a fraction more.
  • daniel_b
    Just checked - my Open Street Maps are about 600Mb. I think 50 Mb will get you an area something like a county, maybe a fraction more.

Would the 1000 also have this limitation do you know?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    1000 can take micro SD card and also comes loaded with all of UK from the factory I think (dont know if that is on internal memory or on a supplied card.