Don't know what I want??

jollypop80
jollypop80 Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Recently moved to MK and whilst out running I noticed how good the cycle path network is. Which made me want a bike again. I love the Boardman hybrids, I'm too much of a clumsy lump to ride a road bike so road bike MTB or hybrid is where I'm looking.

I like the idea of a MTB as I'm not really 34, I am in fact 12 and love bunny hopping off kerbs and popping the odd wheelie. All such things a 115kg guy should not do on a 700c wheel... But having ridden a few hybrids, the power transfer is phenomenal. The acceleration and handling brilliant, and on cycle/towpaths with some decent tyres I'm thinking a hybrid is the way forward. But what If the urge takes me to stand up and sprint up a bank or across a field??

The obvious answer reading forum posts seems to be the Boardman MX which is a hybrid, erm, hybrid?

However at 13.8kg its a full kilo heavier than the Boardman Comp MTB, which makes no sense as surely the hybrid should be the lighter?

Any how as you can see I don't really know what I want so if someone could suggest some options i'd be grateful

I'm not set on Boardmans BTW, they just seem to be the measuring stick by some people in terms of value.

Looking forward to responses

Paul

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The MX is lower specced in most areas which is why it weighs more than the MTB, also the wheels/tyres are bigger and heavier.

Almost any decent Hybrid would do what you want, 700c disc wheels are only 29er MTB wheels with a narrow XC style rim.

Depends how playful you want it, you could get a decent MTB and just fit some street friendly tyres such as a Schwalbe Kojak or a Kenda Small Block8, you could get a Rigid 29er such as the Voodoo Marasa (or something higher specced), or go to a racier Hybrid with some slightly wider tyres to make it more street friendly, something like a 35mm tyre.

Have a look at the On-One LR for example, road type geometry, their 29er disc braked wheel, street tyres and flat bars, a tougher version of the Boardman hybrid if you like.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDAPEXFB/planet-x-london-road-sram-apex-flat-bar-urban-bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Be honest with yourself, how often will you really sprint across a field. If you want to do some genuine off road then a MTB is the way forward and just accept it wont be as fast on the road.

You say your just too clumsy to ride a road bike though, which perhaps suggests you really want to ride road more?
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    CX bike with road tyres. Swap them out for knobblies if you want to do the trails.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.