Tackling the Hopeline

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited July 2015 in Routes
Tried hopeline first time last night,got a little air time on first section (nothing worthy of a picture) but bottled a drop off on the last section.

Came out of a turn to fast to take the drop so braked hard & took the side lane.Jumps are very new to me,practised on a smaller slab at the end of Shortcut? Loop.

Any advice on best approach on the hopeline drop will earn me kudos for next week.
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a pretty easy drop, as long as you have a basic technique you will be fine. I doubt you were going too fast, from memory you can do it flat out no problem.
    Trail builders often use corners to set up your speed in to jumps and drops. Berms are often used rather than flat turns. Just remember, the trail builders job is to create something flowing and fun, not put people in hospital. Sometimes things can look intimidating but actually really easy to ride. Of course, this changes on Black downhill trails which include big gap jumps and drops landing in rock gardens and all sorts of nasty goodness .
  • Watched youtube vids on various gisburn loops & they all look relatively flat so nice to know they're the opposite..with the drop in question would u advise a bit of lift as oppose to trickling over?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Depends how enthusiastically you hit it. Never pull up but a small manual or a properly done bunnyhop (not by pulling up, you will get hurt) off the lip. Just getting your weight back and low should be enough but ideally a little manual
  • No worries,manual it is...much appreciated matey
  • Nailed the drop off tonight but feck me 'roots' in wet weather made it fun,got bigger air than expected but with unattractive landings..great fun!! Aside from the midgy onslaught!!!!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    More speed and stay loose for roots.
  • Hitting the berms comfortably with speed but still working on the jumps,I manual over most..happy to try a take off but very sketchy on landings which is making me hold back (previous snowboard injuries play on my mind) but still trying nonetheless.

Any guidance is always welcome.