tyre advice ref defy 3 2013

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
Hi, Im looking to purchase a 2nd hand 2013 giant Defy 3 to use as an all rounder bike, I have looked around the forum and the answers vary. Would the model of bike in question accept 28mm tyres without mudguards? Apologies if this is a repeated question.
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I don't have the 2013 model - mine is earlier than that - but clearance with 25mm tyres is extremely limited; I would be very, very surprised if 28s would fit (unless they are *really* small 28s). Of course, if they've revamped the frame since mine, there may be more clearance now...

_
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Depends on the particular 28mm tyre you want to fit and the width of the rim fitted to the bike. Giant's recommendation is 23/25mm with or without the Giant specific mudguards. Also depending what brake calipers are fitted to the Defy 3, usually a Tektro, clearance to the underside of the caliper could be an issue.

You can swop the original brake caliper for a Shimano 5800 105 caliper, which has clearance for a 28mm tyre. It is quite often stated on the Road forum that a Michelin PRO4 25mm tyre comes up near to 27mm.

I have a 2013 model Defy and would estimate that there is enough frame/fork clearance for 28mm tyres, without mudguards, though you would have to be prepared to do some experimentation/trial fitting to satisfy yourself that it was safe to do so with the O.E. Tektro brake calipers.