Spokane NAACP... Why does this fascinate?

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited July 2015 in The cake stop
I heard some days ago about the Spokane resident, Rachel Dolezal, who appeared to be lying or delusional about her origins.

The story ran and ran - and got (Alice-like) curiouser and curiouser. I wish I could have brushed it aside as media tittle-tattle. But I could not.

Something about the story gnawed at me and intrigued me, showing a curtain-witchign curiosity about the lives of others that I'd rather didn't exist.

The poor woman appears to be madder than a box of frogs and maybe as mad a two boxes of same. So I should have read the article, quietly pity her delusion or brazen dishonesty and moved to the next story...

But I had to read on and I am slightly ashamed of that urge to pry where madness or sadness lurks.

Well... The story has died now. And I am left with the slightly uncomfortable feeling that I enjoyed judging the poor creature way more than I ought to have done.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I read the story too - it looks to me as if she took interest in a cause where she thought her opinions wouldn't have carried as much weight if she were an outsider. But as that great luminary, Vanilla Ice said: it doesn't matter where you're from, it's where you're at. He said that after it was revealed he came from a comfortable middle class home living in the suburbs rather than the rough part of Detroit, as he'd always claimed. If there's a lesson here, it is not to try to do what Vanilla Ice does.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    If there's a lesson here, it is not to try to do what Vanilla Ice does.

And there you have it folks.......how to live a good and righteous life diluted down to a single sentence!!!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    What I found even more strange was the way some people defended her right to call herself black if she thought of herself that way. Truly bizarre.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    fg_ep012_16.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.