Thoughts on the Specialized Sport 2015 ...?

jayjaymozza
jayjaymozza Posts: 21
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Hi, I've just placed an order on a Specialzied Sport 2015, what do people think of these?
I'm wanting to get into mountain bike riding and just nice days out so not after anything to fancy.

All input appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi, I've just placed an order on a Specialzied Sport 2015, what do people think of these?
    I'm wanting to get into mountain bike riding and just nice days out so not after anything to fancy.

All input appreciated

Thanks
    So what is a Specialzied Sport 2015?

And it is a bit late to be asking as you have bought it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry, Specialzied Rockhopper Sport it is.

I know it's stupid among after I have already bought it but would just like people's thoughts on it.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Rockhopper-Sport-29-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_73449.htm

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £440 its just about OK on value, and it looks pretty. It does at least have damped forks, but they are rather lardy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That's Rookie,
    Would you suggest buying new forks?

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, I meant the whole bike was rather lardy (but yes those forks are as well)

the ride would certainly be transformed by something like an Epicon fork up front, lighter and better controlled, also if you need to change the tyres (the original ones won't grip as well in the wet) then some decent lighter tyres will be another step forward.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But by then you add a couple of hundred £s to the price, so probably better to look at something better to start with.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Travel back in time and pick up the better spec RockRider 560 from Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    ......and cheaper
  • What makes the bike 'better' they are both around the same price
  • cooldad
    Pretty much everything hanging off the frame.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What makes the bike 'better' they are both around the same price

You may be in for a shock if you think that the price tag attached to anything is a good indication of its quality.
  • Jesus.
    Didn't realise all these 'MTB riders' are all so arsey, snobby.

LOL! I was only asking a simply question and get a bunch of arsehole answers.

Never mind
  • The Rookie
    You asked a question and got an answer, its not just bikes where price has little to do with how good something is, clothing, cars, train tickets, it all applies.

The Rockrider is in a different league ability wise to the Spesh which relies on its name to ell to gullible people (sorry) who think the name means it must be a good bike. Most of the worst value bikes for sale come from the big brands, Spesh, Giant, Trek - all produce some stinkers that are nowhere near as good as cheaper bikes badged Carrera, Voodoo, Calibre or Rockrider.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Please point out the snobby arsehole responses?

IMO this is far from it. The theme is we want you to get the best kit for the £. And not to worry about the brand. I see this as the complete opposite of what you say.

You're the one who's been ill informed or snobby and got a rather inferior product for the money. But hey ho.
  • It's really a bad idea to post on a forum like this asking for opinions AFTER you have paid for something. A little research before you buy a bike will get you the best spec for your money.

In my opinion Specialized sell a lot of their bikes based on their name. They are usually very average value for money, meaning that although it's a well designed frame and well made, the equipment it's furnished with could be better for the money.

The bike you have bought is a perfectly suitable machine, which will do what you want. You will have fun on it. It's not the best value for your money though. It would of been better to ask before buying it and making your decision then, instead of taking offence to people's honest and correct input to your question.
  • cooldad
    Jesus.
    Didn't realise all these 'MTB riders' are all so arsey, snobby.

LOL! I was only asking a simply question and get a bunch of arsehole answers.

Never mind

Snobby? We are suggesting less snobby but better bikes, so quite the opposite really.

Arsey is asking for advice on something you've already bought and not liking the answers.

So just ride it, any bike can be fun.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The rockhopper will be fine but if you are already looking at spending £100's on upgrades then maybe a voodoo bizango would have been a better buy.

Just ride the bike for a while and don't worry about upgrades.