Alpe d'Huez

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited August 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys

I am off to Alpe D'Uhez for this years Tour and would like to know a couple of things from peoples experiances.

What are the bars etc like around there for a bite to eat? Is there a decent amount? I know its the day of the Tour so going to be mega busy like.

Also anyone got any experience of leaving a bike box at Lyon airport?

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    edited August 2015
    Hi Guys

I am off to Alpe D'Uhez for this years Tour and would like to know a couple of things from peoples experiances.

What are the bars etc like around there for a bite to eat? Is there a decent amount? I know its the day of the Tour so going to be mega busy like.

Also anyone got any experience of leaving a bike box at Lyon airport?

Alpe d'Huez is a ski resort, so there are loads of places to eat - and reasonably priced from my experience.

Sorry, I have no idea about leaving a bike box at Lyon, I suspect it might cost you quite a bit though.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    There are bars eateries on Alp d'Huez also plenty and a reasonably large supermarket in Bourg d'Oisans opposite the foot of the climb. There have been in excess of 500,000 people on the mountain for Tour so I would imagine it will be a nightmare buying food on race day. I would suggest getting something from the supermarket the day before.

See link to left luggage a Lyon Airport. Never used it.

http://www.lyonaeroports.com/eng/Traveller-s-guide/Luggage-Freight/Left-luggage
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Just thought I would update this thread just in case somebody goes as a newbie like me and has the same sort of questions.

Lyon airport was fine, however it did take almost 2h for our bike boxes to come off the flight and then we had to build them up. It cost us 18euro each to leave the bike boxes at left luggage. They had to be scanned and all in all, after rebuilding the bikes it took about an hour.
    Getting out of Lyon airport and the surrounding service roads was simple if a little chaotic because of the stress people have after travelling!

We were approx 80km from the base of the Alpe and we got there in good time about 4h before the carvan. We climbed the Alpe and it was mental. Big crowds, but a great atmosphere. The police stopped us and made us walk every now and then for no reason at all. Walk 3m get back on the back and repeat every now and then. At the top they made you go off the main route with 2km to go, but you could easily find your way round. We stopped off at a little restaurant at the top and had some lunch. Then we dropped down to 4km to go via another road. Waiting for the caravan was good and thew weather was mint.

After the race had passed through we werent allowed up the road and over the back, so we dropped down which as you can imagine was v busy. It took about an hour to get down but no major dramas. It took so long due to the caravan also coming down at the same time.

Tips:
    I took a rucksack, my mates didnt. I had my flip flops, a sun hat, extra water, some food and sun cream etc. There wasnt a lot in the bag, but I was glad of it for sure. We were blessed with great weather for the day so no need for a rain jacket. I would highly recommend not being a hero and not taking a small rucksack. Youre not going to break any records on the alpe due to the amount of people on it.

There is plenty of places to eat at the top and we had no problems getting somewhere, the same with at the bottom of the Alpe.

Lyon airport, the staff were very helpful, if not a little laid back, so if you're doing this, add some contingency onto your schedule, we did, we added an hour on, but really could have done with a couple to be a little more comfortable.

All in all an amazing trip.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Sounds class, and great that you saw Froomey wrap up the tour! Great experience
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....