Bike Rack for BMW Z4

Cyph3rs
Cyph3rs Posts: 69
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Everyone tends to say get a roof rack. Obviously this isn't an option for me. Is there a such thing as a decent bike rack for a Z4?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do Toni & Guy make one?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    My bike has a nice rack - had it since she was 17.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    No seriously you need a ball mounted rack. Do you have a ball?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    No seriously you need a ball mounted rack. Do you have a ball?

Don't be ridiculous, Z4 drivers don't have them. They do have a diploma in hairdressing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it a coupe or a soft top or a folding hardtop?

The last one can't take a bike rack safely due to the movement of the boot lid to stow the roof, coupe's will take a Saris Bones hatchback, the 'vert may take a saloon Bones one.

Clearly a few people on here have never actually driven a Z4, or at least the first gen, the second gen went all softy to try and match the SLK.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mister_g
    Mister_g Posts: 55
    Bike Rack for BMW Z4

Sounds like a fair swap - what sort of rack do you want?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bike Rack for BMW Z4

Sounds like a fair swap - what sort of rack do you want?

I'd rather keep the bike rack.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Saris solo works well on convertibles I believe, perfect for one bike only.
  • Cyph3rs
    Haha wow guys.

I have the softtop, I had a look a the Saris Solo and it looks like it'd work. So that's what I've ordered.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Haha wow guys.

I have the softtop, I had a look a the Saris Solo and it looks like it'd work. So that's what I've ordered.

Well, I have saris solo. Easy to install but I think its only good for short trips...

Good luck with it on the motorway !!!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Out of interest, what car do you drive RockmonkeySC?
  • Cyph3rs

Something infinitely more impressive and "manly" than my Z4 no doubt.

This forum is very peculiar I have to say. (Bar a few genuinely helpful users).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't take it too seriously. I used to drive a MK1 MX5 with a towbar for a rack.

I got used to the hairdresser jokes.

I just wish I was actually that manly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shindo
    Shindo Posts: 10

Something infinitely more impressive and "manly" than my Z4 no doubt.

This forum is very peculiar I have to say. (Bar a few genuinely helpful users).

This is where the people ribbing the Z4 come out and say they drive a Nissan Note or Kia Picanto haha!!
  • The Rookie
    Most people don't realise that the first gen Z4 was actually a damn good sports car, it replaced the rather limp Z3 and was in turn replaced by the softer edged new Z4 (softened to compete with the SLK), but the first gen, especially in coupe form, is a very good car, far to focused for a hair dresser!

The Chassis is based on the E46 and uses the M-sport parts from that car (different springs, dampers, ARB's and arms to non M-sport).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cyph3rs
    Most people don't realise that the first gen Z4 was actually a damn good sports car, it replaced the rather limp Z3 and was in turn replaced by the softer edged new Z4 (softened to compete with the SLK), but the first gen, especially in coupe form, is a very good car, far to focused for a hair dresser!

The Chassis is based on the E46 and uses the M-sport parts from that car (different springs, dampers, ARB's and arms to non M-sport).

Yeah, I've got the E85 (first gen) Z4. Must have some pretty urgent hairdressing appointments to warrant it.

Not a fan of the new Z4, as you say it's a bit too soft.
  • The Rookie
    2 friends at work have the Z4 3.0 Coupe, one is the head of our chassis development team and he certainly wouldn't drive a duffer, I have an E46 M-Sport (touring to get a bike in the back) and the son has an M135i (other two cars in the house are a Fiesta ST and a Mazda RX-8, so I don't think we count as normal!).
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Saris Bones 3.

Sub £100 from Halfords at the moment (well, it was last week)
    Insert bike here: