Moving a groupset to a new frame

azzurri78
azzurri78 Posts: 104
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I've got an old Shimano 105 10speed groupset not currently being used. I'm thinking of buying a cyclocross frame set (and going disc) and was wondering what components can be ported across? In an ideal world I would like to use hydraulic so I guess I would have to get new shifters as well as the new brakes??

Any other things I should watch out for?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've got an old Shimano 105 10speed groupset not currently being used. I'm thinking of buying a cyclocross frame set (and going disc) and was wondering what components can be ported across? In an ideal world I would like to use hydraulic so I guess I would have to get new shifters as well as the new brakes??

Any other things I should watch out for?

In addition to the frameset, shifters and brakes you'll need a disc compatible wheelset, and make sure the hubs will take the rotors you've bought (ie centerlock vs 6 bolt)

So you'll only be reusing the chainset, BB, mechs, chain and cassette...

Might be better off sticking the whole groupset on Ebay and buying a ready-built cross bike? Or something like the Planet X London Road??
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    ^ Seconded. If you were to want to use it for cross then you'd need to change the gearing so the chainset would be wrong or at least need new rings. So that's that out, possibly the BB since it depends on the frame these days, the cassette may or may not be suitable and therefore the chain may or may not be. So really, all you are left with re-using are the mechs ....
  • azzurri78
    Thanks guys, the more I look into it the more I think youre right.

Already got a few potentials too which I will take a look at. As well as the London Road mentioned I think the Pinnacle Arkose 4 and the soon to be released Kinesis Crosslight 5t Disc fit the bill.

Thanks for your input.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You could save yourself some cash and hassle by opting for a set of TRP Hy/Rd brakes. That way you can stick with your existing shifters but still benefit from the mechanical/hydraulic mix of the TRP's.

IMHO unless you plan to do some serious off-road descending then the Hy/Rd brakes will be perfectly adequate.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You could save yourself some cash and hassle by opting for a set of TRP Hy/Rd brakes. That way you can stick with your existing shifters but still benefit from the mechanical/hydraulic mix of the TRP's.

IMHO unless you plan to do some serious off-road descending then the Hy/Rd brakes will be perfectly adequate.
  • Yankee1
    Yankee1 Posts: 19
    Are there 10sp Shimano hydro brifters? I'm not aware of any. You'd need new mechs to go 11sp. So just your chainset will carry over.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you want to reuse the lot get a frame with Canti mounts and go for CX9 mini V's. Much better than Canti's and no need to renew virtually everything.
  • azzurri78
    Well this is all getting a bit confusing. Will have to sit down, have a think and number crunch all the possibilities.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    TRP Spyres and decent cables are more than adequate for CX - I use cable discs on my MTB that work when doing 60kph offroad descents. TRP mini-vees are good too for a rim brake, but if you're shelling out for a new frame and wheels, then probably a good way to go.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..