Orange Alpine 160 build

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited August 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Not quite finished yet, just waiting on a final delivery of parts this week, but here's my build so far and the completed spec.

Frame - Orange Alpine 160
Rear shock - Fox RP23 push tuned
Fork - Marzocchi 55 TST2 160mm
Wheels - Pacenti CL23 /Superstar switch
Headset- FSA Pig DH
Stem - On-One CNC 50mm
Bars - El Guarpo
Grips - Superstar Half flange
Brakes - Shimano SLX
Shifter - Shimano Deore
Cranks - Raceface XC
Chainring - Superstar I/O 34t
Derailleur - Shimano XT 9 speed
Cassette - Shimano Deore
Chain - Shimano XT
Seat post - BBB 27.2
Seat clamp - Superstar qr
Seat - Selle italia
Tyres - On-One Chunky Monkey Trail 2.4"

7DA537A9-8E34-43E0-896C-EB04B1BA6749_zps971rldrr.jpg
4D7FE5DA-A523-4C43-B96C-783D0ECCB69F_zpsxfpofmd2.jpg
1444B64C-39FA-4C39-8B20-7F95B9240E1F_zpsrz5etrjk.jpg
D1977072-FC2C-4988-B466-5C30332FA18C_zpsxyzklhtq.jpg

Comments

• That looks like an Orange 5 front triangle and Alpine 160 swingarm
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its certainly not a modern Alpine front
  • cubedean
    Really? Looks pretty similar to this to me. I think its a 2009 front triangle and 2010 rear triangle (which I didn't notice until it arrived with me). The cable guides don't tie up with the five either.

alpine160_coil_frm-000223.jpg

If that's the case it looks like I've been screwed over by a 15 year old kid. :twisted:
  • cubedean
    Its certainly not a modern Alpine front

Orange have confirmed as I thought late '09 early '10 Alpine 160.

A few people had commented on it looking odd & i don't know why, i can only assume it's down to the two colour scheme.

Just had shipping confirmation from Superstar for some bits, just got to wait for bike-discount to ship the rest of the kit now. Hopefully be built Saturday night.
  • cubedean
    Everything arrived today so I got her 99% finished, just need to get the hoses shortened and swapped over (currently European config) & get a new barrel adjuster for the deurailure then she's done. Steerer will get trimmed to suit once I get the height sorted.

D2F94D4B-CC18-4334-B64B-6B4E33799F97_zpsdj9fc6cz.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Resin pedals for that bike could be an error.

The pink rear end puts me in mind of a baboons arse but aside from that, should be fun!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cubedean
    Resin pedals for that bike could be an error.

The pink rear end puts me in mind of a baboons ars* but aside from that, should be fun!

Thanks Paul, I've always ran resin pedals from my bmx days, they were only £5 so if they're no good it's no great loss.

The pink wasn't my choice, it was too cheap to pass up the opportunity, but it's growing on me.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    cubedean wrote:
    The pink wasn't my choice, it was too cheap to pass up the opportunity, but it's growing on me.

Nothing that a can of paint remover and a brush can't sort out :lol:

add a dropper and you're off sir!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    cubedean wrote:

Fungal infections grow on you, doesn't make them good.
    I would have that stripped and polished. I don't know what it is about Orange owners but there are some truly hideous colourschemes

p4pb10100201.jpg
    PrivateerOrangeFive29-032.jpg
    294243_10150263615826167_2433492_n.jpg?oh=e5a5a7e30f883ac6a3d389c7a4f49a19&oe=55BDA124&__gda__=1433791477_d14edcbad5efcd15fb1e0738ede10f6f
  • cubedean
    Some of them are awful! Enquiring with a local powder coater to see if they can match the front triangle.

Had the hoses shortened yesterday so she's almost there now.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Nice bike mate!

Flat bars look odd though!
  • cubedean
    *AJ* wrote:
    Nice bike mate!

Flat bars look odd though!

Cheers AJ, they feel odd as well. Going to order some low rise bars in black I think. The camera doesn't capture the colours very well at all.

F605EB7A-D5A7-4711-9F9B-E36C6DB10824_zpssnuy9uxf.jpg
    4D87DFEC-9C09-4BE8-83E9-B22E6C8AAA00_zpssj5jooof.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    Orange do re-coating of frames. They can definitely match the colour and finish quality and fit new stickers. It will look brand new. Probably more expensive than your local powder coater but I think it would bd worth it.
  • cubedean
    I've decided to keep the pink for now, ordered some black, low rise bars & will consider spraying the fork lowers black soon.
  • cubedean
    Fitted black superstar riser bars. I think if the fork lowers were black it would look alright.

4629A4A0-1D96-41CD-A6BA-0B45909FA153_zpszm0njfmz.jpg
    0306268D-9B15-49EB-AEB7-82A10BFAB68B_zpsqskqhorf.jpg
    F5DD7DD3-B316-464A-8D89-4DEC49D3055B_zpsitnsg7wf.jpg
    FA09F126-AF3D-4F80-B848-342EB20628F4_zpsaygsn6fk.jpg
    EC08B73E-4865-4D35-8DAD-69056C0DD57B_zpsnjbxkffo.jpg
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Its crying out for pink forks TBH mate.... :lol:
  • SonDa5
    SonDa5 Posts: 17
    Love the frame but I can't stand the pink. I'd powder coat the pink to silky black.
  • cubedean
    I managed to get a couple of rides in before going away last week, sherwood pines & Cannock for the first time.

Cannock highlighted an issue with the forks which I initially thought was a loose headset, I've got a rattling when the fork is under very light load & some slight movement on the stansion which is making me think the bushings are a little worn. Got my eyes on a lightly used set of lowers so I can just swap out the lowers & see if that solves it.

Photo from the cafe at Cannock
    IMG_0473_zps7sodsvko.jpg
  • Nice looking bike!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Marzocchi bushings are fairly loose from new. Keep using them for a few rides. If they have been unused for a while the bushes dry out, get some miles on them and and knocking should disappear.
  • cubedean
    Marzocchi bushings are fairly loose from new. Keep using them for a few rides. If they have been unused for a while the bushes dry out, get some miles on them and and knocking should disappear.

Thanks, will storing the bike upside help lubricate the bushings?
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    cubedean wrote:

Thanks, will storing the bike upside help lubricate the bushings?

Yes it will.
  • cubedean
    Shes had some miles put on her now, really enjoying it but some upgrades are due for sure.

DSC_0098_zpsxp4ht5jc.jpg
    DSC_0102_zps3wm9knur.jpg
    DSC_0103_zpssdowinop.jpg
    DSC_0099_zpsxf85qpd7.jpg
    DSC_0106_zpsyqfitatv.jpg
  • What's your opinion on the Chunky monkey tyres? I've never used them but seen them on other bikes when I'm out.
    Still can't wheelie :(
  • cubedean
    What's your opinion on the Chunky monkey tyres? I've never used them but seen them on other bikes when I'm out.

Excellent. I find them really grippy and very compliant when running low pressures. I want to try a smorgasbord out on the back next.

I run them tubeless, took some to get them to seal but I think that could have been down to me & it being my first time setting up tubeless.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have just got a set of Chunky Monkeys. Plenty of grip, they ride like a Maxxis Minion DHR but they are very heavy. I'm keeping mine for alpine and really rocky stuff only
  • Ideally I would be using them strictly for trail centre riding,I love my trail kings but feel they are more suited to xc than the trail centre (I've been practicing hitting berms faster & feel more grip needed or it's just I need more practice).

Ps viewed your bike & other albeit obscure colour schemed orange fives & they really grow on you..I currently have a saving pot building towards owning said bike,dilemma being buy a 26" at a bargain price or hold out for a 650b.My current rides are both 650b & have no objection going back to 26" but (controversial) are 26" dead or soon to be?!?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would ignore all the wheel size rubbish. They have just changed rear axle sizes. As soon as one standard is established they make another one obsolete.
    Just buy the bike you like most. Dirt jump, 4x and freeride won't be moving away from 26" because bigger wheels don't work for them so there will always be a supply of rims and tyres. 650b forks are fine with 26" anyway
  • Sound advice,many thanks RMsc.

Ps what's your opinion on Hope f20 vs dmr vaults?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Sound advice,many thanks RMsc.

Ps what's your opinion on Hope f20 vs dmr vaults?

I prefer SPD'S but have a set of Shimano Saint which are awesome and much cheaper than Hopes or Vaults.