Nightvision and summer

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
Altura Night Vision jackets and other stuff. I can see the point in, say, December.

Someone explain to me why anyone would pull up in a Night Vision waterproof on what everyone knows is going to be the hottest day of the year.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Altura Night Vision jackets and other stuff. I can see the point in, say, December.

Someone explain to me why anyone would pull up in a Night Vision waterproof on what everyone knows is going to be the hottest day of the year.
    I had noticed the same thing; counted 4 on the way home last night. I wonder whether it's anything to do with the Silly Commuter Weight Loss thread?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Chuck in some tights and overshoes and you have the guy i see this morning.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Bloody hell. Even bibs and a light jersey was way too much this morning. Some of the nodders just seem to think this is the uniform you MUST cycle in, regardless of the conditions.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yep yesterday i saw a fella in said plastic jacket and full length trousers gloves and all with a hi-viz covered rucksack for good measure.

i wonder if he made it home?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I had noticed the same thing; counted 4 on the way home last night. I wonder whether it's anything to do with the Silly Commuter Weight Loss thread?
    It bemuses me when I see people deliberately overdressing for extra weight-loss. I guess the intention is to lose weight by expending more energy than you would otherwise. Actually it has the the opposite effect. When you deliberately overdress for exercise, three main things happen:
    1. Your body diverts the majority of blood flow to the skin for perspiring and cooling duties, leaving very little capacity for fuel, oxygen and waste transport to and from the muscles. As a result you end up doing far less work, in a joules/watts sense.
    2. But the sweat doesn't evaporate so you don't actually lose the heat, meaning it feels much worse than it would otherwise. This is what dupes you into thinking it's "better" for you. No pain, no gain right?
    3. You have a real risk of heat stroke, which is extremely dangerous.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Saw a bloke out running with this dog this morning in cargo shorts and a night vision like jacket. Running.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    It bemuses me when I see people deliberately overdressing for extra weight-loss. I guess the intention is to lose weight by expending more energy than you would otherwise. Actually it has the the opposite effect. When you deliberately overdress for exercise, three main things happen:
    1. Your body diverts the majority of blood flow to the skin for perspiring and cooling duties, leaving very little capacity for fuel, oxygen and waste transport to and from the muscles. As a result you end up doing far less work, in a joules/watts sense.
    2. But the sweat doesn't evaporate so you don't actually lose the heat, meaning it feels much worse than it would otherwise. This is what dupes you into thinking it's "better" for you. No pain, no gain right?
    3. You have a real risk of heat stroke, which is extremely dangerous.
    +1. Good technique if you need to lose weight temporarily through dehydration for a weigh in (lightweight rowing, sailing, boxing etc). Pointless otherwise.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    all this talk of overheating is making me hot, time for a refreshing thirst quenching ice cold with a gentle frothy head beverage.

mmmm frothy head :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We were out on Sunday, all in bibshorts and s/s jerseys. Okay, there was rain, but it was still hovering around 18C... we saw a lot of cyclists in waterproof/hi-vis jackets.

It must really detract from the enjoyment when your liver is being poached.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I was very seriously asking the wife if it would be permissible just to wear my bibs this morning sans jersey.

I received a look similar to this in return :roll:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    I was very seriously asking the wife if it would be permissible just to wear my bibs this morning sans jersey.

She saved you a fair bit of skin! Even with a generous amount of sun cream on it would still burn through the jersey!
    Have anybody else noted the number of commuters wearing full facemasks and scarves? Every day I spot a handful of them even when the temperatures are low 20.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

She saved you a fair bit of skin! Even with a generous amount of sun cream on it would still burn through the jersey!
    Have anybody else noted the number of commuters wearing full facemasks and scarves? Every day I spot a handful of them even when the temperatures are low 20.
    Seeing more and more people now with gas/pollution masks. Not entirely sure they work.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    As I cycled back along the high street here (small village in Scotland) with the temperature hovering around 27°C, sun belting down cracking the pavements (even not adjusted for being in Scotland it was hot) - I had to screech to a halt as a "wee auld biddy" stepped out at the crossing. She was wearing a full length black winter overcoat (it looked woollen) and a felt hat...
  • tgotb
    Seeing more and more people now with gas/pollution masks. Not entirely sure they work.
    How they manage to ride effectively with them is beyond me.

I'm sure they filter something out (and if you ask a devotee they'd probably cite a blackened filter as "proof") but whether that actually translates into tangible health benefits is another matter. Unless riding through the aftermath of a chemical/biological weapon attack, I reckon the benefits of *not* wearing one (enhanced fitness because I can ride hard, improved mental wellbeing because I actually enjoy the ride) vastly outweigh any effects of pollution.

It's not quite the same thing, but I saw a thing on TV a while ago that suggested car drivers are exposed to more pollution, because their car's air intakes are much closer to exhaust level.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin

last week when it was still single digits here in the morning i made the mistake of ride in when a long sleeve jersey, the ride home however was in just bib shorts and i was still very warm.
  • itboffin
    As I cycled back along the high street here (small village in Scotland) with the temperature hovering around 27°C, sun belting down cracking the pavements (even not adjusted for being in Scotland it was hot) - I had to screech to a halt as a "wee auld biddy" stepped out at the crossing. She was wearing a full length black winter overcoat (it looked woollen) and a felt hat...

really?

no one here believes you
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    there is a guy here who wears so much that my wife and I have named him HiVis Guy.

jacket/over trousers back pack etc, and he rides a fair old distance, I've seen him en route home, a good 10 miles away. he's not fast but equally not slow either.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Is this the look you were hoping for?

Mankini-borat-1116041_554_700.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

really?

no one here believes you
    That's the attitude!
    Keeps the roads nice and quiet for my cycles up north.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam

Don't
    get
    me
    started

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    I pass a guy on one of my routes who is in hi viz heavy workman trousers, heavy hi viz coat and a full black wool balaclava, every day, even yesterday. How has he not melted!

Surely a bag and a change of clothes would make his journey so much quicker.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Bloody hell. Even bibs and a light jersey was way too much this morning.

Agreed. And yet when I restrict myself to just socks people get snotty about it...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • tgotb
    Agreed. And yet when I restrict myself to just socks people get snotty about it...
    Depends how many socks and where you wear them...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Depends how many socks and where you wear them...

Two and on my feet. I'm not some kind of pervert you know.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I've seen two or three full face helmets being used this week!
  • secretsam

I see you and raise you overshoes. Early evening yesterday, I was dripping in a jersey, shorts and shoes...

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907

Is this the look you were hoping for?

Mankini-borat-1116041_554_700.jpg

Hoping? I aspire to look that good
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516

I see you and raise you overshoes. Early evening yesterday, I was dripping in a jersey, shorts and shoes...

madness
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Two things:

There's a guy working here who rocks up in a full coat, full gloves, trousers... the whole thing. This is because he has a skin complaint that would have him burning within seconds on a sunny day. He even wears full length SOCKS on his arms to make sure the sun can't get to them. He showed me a scar on his hand where he missed a bit.

Face masks / scarves - midges. Just. Midges.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter