Mixing up Shimano 9spd and 10spd questions

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,579
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
Evening all,

I'm trying to get my Felt on the road so my bro has a bike to ride whilst we rebuild his Cannondale.

It has a 9spd 105 setup, aside from a 105 5650 Chainset and HT BB I fitted this week.

I noticed the front derailleur was a bit wobbly - it was a bit strange (Band on) but there is a nut at the front, and it seems to tighten and then go loose - this isn't for the band, but for the changer if that makes sense.

Anyway, I had the gears working on the stand, but tried to take it out tonight, and it was a bag of spanners.
The only good thing to come out of this event is that it made me take my Langster out for it's first proper ride (Yes I have had it multiple years) and very much enjoyed it.

Anyway, back on topic.

I would like to run the bike as is for the moment, ie with 9spd on the rear, as I have fitted a brand new cassette and chain - although admittedly I could use then on my mountain bike I guess, but now having cut the chain I'm not sure if it would be long enough.

I have ordered a new band on front derailleur (105 10spd) from CRC, and also a 10spd 105 5700 rear derailleur.
I have spare 10spd shifters, and chains and a rear cassette - oh and brakes as well - so would be aiming to 10spd the Felt eventually - say next spring or summer.

So my question is, do you know if it will be happy to run with 9spd shifters, rear derailleur, but 10spd chainset and front changer?

And then when I want to swap out the shifters, presumably all I would also need to do is swap out the rear derailleur, change the cassette\chain, and I should be in business.....?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have a braze on mech with a band on adaptor. Quite common and very good as they give better adjuability.

The 10spd front mech will work but as the cage is narrower you will find it harder to set up than a 9spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    The 10spd front mech will work but as the cage is narrower you will find it harder to set up than a 9spd.
    This. I'm using a 105 10sp front mech and chainset with 9sp Sora shifters, chain and rear mech. I had to tweak the cage to make it a bit wider so that it can reach top and bottom gears without rubbing, and to improve the amount of cross-chaining it will allow.
  • daniel_b
    Sounds like you have a braze on mech with a band on adaptor. Quite common and very good as they give better adjuability.

Doh :oops:

How right you are!

Bought this bike second hand, and never really looked at the derailleur in detail - but yes it does appear to be a shimano band with the derailleur bolting on from the rear.

So it might either be the bolt has lost it's thread or the thread within the derailleur has gone - I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find a longer screw that will give a proper firm connection - otherwise I think I will have to switch to full 10spd sooner than anticipated :-(
    Not sure I like the idea of bending the derailleur out - especially with a view to running 10spd in the long run.

And I've just retaped the sodding bars too!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bolt probably just needs a dot of threadlock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    good god man did you not do metalwork at school? I assume you have a tap & die set in your mancave?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    good god man did you not do metalwork at school? I assume you have a tap & die set in your mancave?

I only went to School for 4 months, so no :D

Anyway, it appears to be fixed - took the old bolt out, located a marginally longer one in my vast array of bolts, also removed two washers that were on the front - and bingo we are back in business with a good firm solid fitment :-)

Well pleased.
    I did try just removing the washers first of all, and it seemed to bite properly, but then went loose again - on investigation it appears the thread must have been buggered some time ago (As I have never removed it) so was just lucky it did not go south earlier.

I will keep the 10spd rear and front derailleurs that are on the way, but do people think I should go for the band on type I have ordered, or stick with the adapter on my frame and get a braze on type instead?
    I see it mentioned they are slightly more adjustable - price seems to be identical.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Took the Felt out last night after re-indexing the gears, and it's running like a dream - so thanks for the pointers.

I expect I would have gotten there eventually, but your assistance made it far quicker :D

It's such a nice bike (in my eyes) not sure I want to let my bro ride it now.......... :shock:

Now sporting new wheels (Rose DT Swiss wheels), new (second hand) Mike Burrows seatpost, new crankset (105 5700 to replace an old FSA one), new stem and handlebars/tape.

18725434604_56ccaa899d_z.jpg

Excuse the white 520 pedals - just a temp steal from the Langster for the test ride.
    Expect the yellow Look pedals will make their way onto it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Took the Felt out last night after re-indexing the gears, and it's running like a dream - so thanks for the pointers.

I expect I would have gotten there eventually, but your assistance made it far quicker :D

It's such a nice bike (in my eyes) not sure I want to let my bro ride it now.......... :shock:

Now sporting new wheels (Rose DT Swiss wheels), new (second hand) Mike Burrows seatpost, new crankset (105 5700 to replace an old FSA one), new stem and handlebars/tape.

18725434604_56ccaa899d_z.jpg

Excuse the white 520 pedals - just a temp steal from the Langster for the test ride.
    Expect the yellow Look pedals will make their way onto it.
    Ooh, I like that.

I have 2 felt's already, but that is nice!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    elbowloh wrote:
    Ooh, I like that.

Cheers dude - it's an 05 model, bought in near mint condition in 2007 - little bit too big for me as a 56, so rode it like that for ages before discovering inline seatposts and shorter stems etc

Am hoping to start some racing next year, so am thinking this might make a decent race bike, as wouldn't want to really risk losing the SL to a crash.

It's a lovely ride though, very responsive, and climbs really nicely - though now a lot lighter, as was running on stock WHR500 wheels, so these DTSwiss chop around 450g of the total weight - which without pedals was 8kg, so not featherlight, but not bad either for a 10 year old bike.
    At some point this will become retro eh?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    elbowloh wrote:
    Ooh, I like that.

Cheers dude - it's an 05 model, bought in near mint condition in 2007 - little bit too big for me as a 56, so rode it like that for ages before discovering inline seatposts and shorter stems etc

Am hoping to start some racing next year, so am thinking this might make a decent race bike, as wouldn't want to really risk losing the SL to a crash.

It's a lovely ride though, very responsive, and climbs really nicely - though now a lot lighter, as was running on stock WHR500 wheels, so these DTSwiss chop around 450g of the total weight - which without pedals was 8kg, so not featherlight, but not bad either for a 10 year old bike.
    Photographed in the little ring :roll:
    I'll let ITB worry about the rest
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b
    elbowloh wrote:
    Ooh, I like that.

Photographed in the little ring :roll:
    I'll let ITB worry about the rest

I'm a non conformist, hence the love of yellow ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18