Cycling clubs - opinions

2»

Comments

• debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Massive benefit: Decades of knowledge.

A senior club member will have a quiet chat (non-patronising) about saddle height or gear choice or hand position. It saves much online anguish and the cost of a bike-fit.

When you are in a club, you pick up (almost by osmosis) views about tyres, tyre pressures, bike set-up, hydration... everything.

I'm no longer in a club, but one of my kids still is. I just let it fold because I wasn't in any shape to race or train seriously. I may re-join later.

Many of the questions I now see being asked on forums like this one can be addressed more quickly and easily and effectively by a chat with a club captain or some other 'wise senior'.

I am not a huge fan of chain gangs, but I am in the minority on that - and I'd say that they too are a massive benefit of club membership. They are not my cup of tea, but I accept that they are to the liking of most. They are (if you like them) a fabulous way to train enjoyably.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919
    People who aren't socially dysfunctional loners?
    You could be correct.
    They are more likely to show symptoms of histrionic personality disorder.
    And still appear to be socially dysfunctional to boot.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    do I hold the record..?. havent been out on a 'club' run as such for about 4 years.... proper club as well... not some iffy facebook gathering of weirdoes, wannabees and mamils... ;-)

I haven't been on a club ride since I was 19, which is 23 hrs ago. To be fair I had 20 years out of cycling and got back on a bike a year ago. The local club has recently decided they will only take new members if they come to a newbie ride on the first Sunday of a month - just seems that I can never make those rides as I have something else going on (eg first Sunday in June I was riding in the closed roads event around Peterborough, then in July I am in Holland for the TdF, then in Aug I'll be doing the Ride 100).

At some stage I may get to join up, but am slightly put off as their club rides all start at 9am and I'd prefer to get out earlier so I have more time with the family on sat/sun.

Yes but if that club is KWCC it has plenty of other rides arraned via the club forum including early sunday rides, it just means members tee them up amongst themselves. The process to join was adopted after a massive increase in memebership and a perceived decrease in rider ability on club runs

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising how the club has chosen to allow new members to join.
  • slow bloke
    slow bloke Posts: 14

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising how the club has chosen to allow new members to join.

No criticsm taken i was just trying to show how the members also set up "club runs" themselves, sort of you get out what you put in as mentioned in previous posts, hope you get out with us soon :)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

No criticsm taken i was just trying to show how the members also set up "club runs" themselves, sort of you get out what you put in as mentioned in previous posts, hope you get out with us soon :)

Thanks mate, looking forward to it.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    I've been a member of a couple of clubs in the past and in the end it's always been about the numbers for me. The last club I joined was a small local group of experienced, friendly riders and it definitely improved my bike handling - just being in close proximity to other riders and taking joint responsibility for hazards etc. It was a "nobody left behind" social type club and at the time it was good to be a part of - it's nice to be be occasionally challenged by riding with others (eg. taking a descent a bit faster than you anticipate), drafting along in a bunch, taking turns at backstopping, the social camaraderie etc

However, over time (and especially during summer) the club rides became much larger and more unwieldy - later starts, more puncture stops and more angry motorists getting stuck behind the group as it blocked the lanes more. Also, the bigger the group the more likely it is that "personalities" start to dominate, little competitive cliques start forming and it all started to get a bit less fun. Eventually, these factors and the fact that routes started to become repetitive with the relative peace becoming an interminable shouting match of "car back", "car up" (on a two lane road!) etc meant the negatives outweighed the positives so I started riding solo again which I find I prefer. Still very happy to ride out with a few mates but I find I enjoy small numbers or solo more… but that's very much a personal thing

I am a typical middle-aged 150-200 mile per week "fitness" type rider and a few hours of peace and quiet in the countryside on the weekend is a lot of the reason why I ride in the first place. If you're racing or riding competitively then club riding is obviously going to be of significant benefit.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The worst thing about club rides is that you do tend to go cycling with a bunch of boring people with dull personalities. A massive chunk of the 'cut-n-paste heard it all before' conversation seems to be about cycling or bikes too. Plus, you often get to hear even more of this monotone chat when the default weird conformity of a pointless coffee and cake break happens, can't be arsed with all that. It's always better to go riding with a proper group of mates who are funny and can talk for hours without mentioning bloody cycling.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    edited September 2015
    interesting thread.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Like any group of people who are together because of a common hobby - be it photography, cycling, flower-arranging - you can always get a subset who are there to tell you how wonderful their cameras/bikes/vases are - and get really ticked off if you take a picture with a £25 pinhole camera that is better than they managed with their £15k contraption. The usual "all the gear, but no idea" brigade.

The right club can be a great place - it's the sort of place where you go because the people there are more like you. The hard part is finding that club near you (and accept that it may not exist).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The strangest thing I saw with a couple of the local clubs was a couple of months ago: riding along by myself I was catching up a club run of say, 20 people. Far too big a group for my liking as I'm a miserable sod.

Bizarrely, although they were pootling (15mph ish) and it was a nice flat road (no hills for 3 or 4 miles either way, so not really recovering after a big effort), no wind and it was nice and sunny, no one was talking to each other. Oh well, each to their own I thought.

Pulling back, we all came to a junction. At this point, just by having to, I joined the back rider who glanced at me but didn't return my cheery "morning". Everyone stopped.

Along the main road came another group of 25 or so from another club, again not talking to each other. Both groups then passed each other - not a wave, look of recognition, smile, word - anything - from anyone to anyone.

How weird I thought as I pedalled off deep in my own thoughts. Best leave them to it and off I pedalled.

I'm sure that all clubs aren't like this though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    This is obviously a generalisation but the people that tend to rise to prominence in these clubs are the people that still have a chip on their shoulder about not getting picked for football in the school playground. When they left school they discovered this thing called cycling that skinny people were good at and it allowed them to be good at something. Unfortunately the chip means that they cannot let anyone else enjoy it as it's theirs...

I "test rode" with several british clubs and found most of them like you describe above, i.e. any sort of fun or enjoyment was frowned upon and the perpetrator villified and cast asunder. Luckily the Dutch are not so afflicted as cycling has never been that special and there is a club near where Ma and Pa raver are from who are a good bunch of guys.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693
    The strangest thing I saw with a couple of the local clubs was a couple of months ago: riding along by myself I was catching up a club run of say, 20 people. Far too big a group for my liking as I'm a miserable sod.

Bizarrely, although they were pootling (15mph ish) and it was a nice flat road (no hills for 3 or 4 miles either way, so not really recovering after a big effort), no wind and it was nice and sunny, no one was talking to each other. Oh well, each to their own I thought.

Pulling back, we all came to a junction. At this point, just by having to, I joined the back rider who glanced at me but didn't return my cheery "morning". Everyone stopped.

Along the main road came another group of 25 or so from another club, again not talking to each other. Both groups then passed each other - not a wave, look of recognition, smile, word - anything - from anyone to anyone.

How weird I thought as I pedalled off deep in my own thoughts. Best leave them to it and off I pedalled.

Perhaps they knew who you were? I certainly wouldn't want to risk sparking up a conversation with you.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,373
    This is obviously a generalisation but the people that tend to rise to prominence in these clubs are the people that still have a chip on their shoulder about not getting picked for football in the school playground. When they left school they discovered this thing called cycling that skinny people were good at and it allowed them to be good at something. Unfortunately the chip means that they cannot let anyone else enjoy it as it's theirs...
    I was told they also become mods on internet forums. :oops:

Should the plural be fora?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    forami? You re the italian! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd say forii as its neuter.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gaffer_slow
    Matthewfalle -

are you sure that was an experience of yours with cycling clubs and not a recital of an Alan Bennett play?
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301

Perhaps they knew who you were? I certainly wouldn't want to risk sparking up a conversation with you.

+1
  • The strangest thing I saw with a couple of the local clubs was a couple of months ago: riding along by myself I was catching up a club run of say, 20 people. Far too big a group for my liking as I'm a miserable sod.

Does he have a balcony?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • wow a lot of negativity about. I mainly ride solo and once every other week join up with the local club. Everyones very friendly and there's a lot of good humoured banter knocking about. I can understand why new people to the club find there's a lot of people chatting to each other, but these people might only get to catch up once a month and could have known each other for years. I myself have experienced the same and try my best to chat to new people in the group. The club has opened me up to new experiences (hill climbs, TT's, Chain Gangs) and overall its been a positive experience. Not all clubs are full of posers, idiots, wanna be's mostly its middle age men out for a ride, a bit of banter a coffee and a cake..
  • Matthewfalle
    edited June 2015
    Matthewfalle -

are you sure that was an experience of yours with cycling clubs and not a recital of an Alan Bennett play?

Bicycle related Bennett plays? Hmmm, too much Lycra and shaved legs for a gritty Northern poet methinks.... But very good call nonetheless.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Does he have a balcony?

Naturally - only the best kind of balcony for F'tard. None of this B&Q rubbish.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Not sure - I was wearing sunnies and a small cotton cap, so quite well disguised.

He may have been a bit off put by the smell of your mother on my fingers though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect

Not sure - I was wearing sunnies and a small cotton cap, so quite well disguised.

He may have been a bit off put by the smell of your mother on my fingers though.
    I was just a little bit sick.

For the avoidance of doubt - the balcony thing was not about the balcony, as such. I concede, I may have inadvertently mentioned a balcony. But my sentiments could have been conveyed without any balconies.

So, I'd like to formally apologise to anyone who finds balconies offensive. They clearly have no place on a bike forum (unless being used to store bikes).
  • gaffer_slow
    have missed some balcony related attention whoring / forum drama?

/outoftheloop
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301

Your last comment goes beyond what is either acceptable or amusing.

You clearly have some serious issues which you are playing out in public and are beginning to spoil this forum for people who want to talk about cycling and have a bit of banter along the way.

I hope the mods will finally lay this thread to rest - which is a shame as it started off being quite informative - and warn Matthewfalle about his behaviour
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,106

"The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage."

So it depends whether you're normal or not.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,373

"The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage."

So it depends whether you're normal or not.
    So fora it is. :mrgreen:
  • First.Aspect
    have missed some balcony related attention whoring / forum drama?

/outoftheloop
    I think drama would be over stating things.
  • have missed some balcony related attention whoring / forum drama?

/outoftheloop

It was a poor attempt at oneupmanship. Even his friends at the croquet and rowing club weren't impressed.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles