Getting back on it! Which hardtail to get??

jambob1990
jambob1990 Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
So ive not had a bike for a few years and have decided to get back into it.
Ive got a budget of about £1000 for a hardtail, new or used if i can get alot more for my money.

I want something that i can do everything on pretty much from road use to trail centres ie lee quarry.

I like the on-one 45650b x9 ATM but im just unsure if i can get better for my money or if thats a piece of crap as not much in the way of reviews.

Any advice on different bikes would be much appreciated, likewise about the on-one

Thanks in advance

J.

Comments

• loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    You should check out the hardtails by Whyte. They have monster rave reviews. I own a 905 myself and love it
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The on one has a steel frame and that is a factor; myself having had a steel framed hard tail originally then all (OK...the other one) my subsequent HT have been steel frames. Aluminium, carbon and titanium are rigid and steel has a life to it which is noticeable when you are riding the trails hard. 1X is the way to go now too.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for the replies.
    My mate has recently bought the whyte 901 which I do really like , but just wasn't sure if it would hold up if I wanted to try and probably kill myself on a black trail eventually.

Fishfish part of the lure of the on on-one is the steel frame! Plus I'm a little on the large side so the more strength the better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strength is not an issue with modern frames, the CEN test has seen to that.

The on-one is probably the l;east forgiving steel frame you can get, carbon would be more forgiving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I retract my last statement about the whyte, after checking out the reviews I'm even more in a pickle over what to buy now!