Wheels for us fattys

dg-crabb
dg-crabb Posts: 7
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Evening I need ideas in a rugby player who loves to cycle problem with that is I tip the scales at 112kg! I'm going through spokes and getting my wheels trued every other week!

I don't want to break the banks but any suggestions on some new wheels would be awesome!

Someone might even have some for sale let me know

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13031062

Have a look at this thread. It also contains links to a couple of other similar recent threads.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Speak to a wheel builder. He will probably recommend some 36 spoke front and rear, possibly using touring rims.

It might seem expensive going for handbuilt wheels, but if you get a well built pair they should last much better than the ones you're currently breaking.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Speak to a wheel builder. He will probably recommend some 36 spoke front and rear, possibly using touring rims.

It might seem expensive going for handbuilt wheels, but if you get a well built pair they should last much better than the ones you're currently breaking.

This.

Plenty of components out there that will make us a good wheel set for you. Wider rims (23mm min), something like a Miche Primato hub and Sapim Race spokes (and a minimum of 32 of them each end) will probably do it for you!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    I got a set of A42 Pro Lites from Wiggle, they have tested them above 150kgs and still ok. I have used them for about 1000 miles now and still going strong... Touch wood.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracciano-a42-alloy-clincher-wheelset/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I got a set of A42 Pro Lites from Wiggle, they have tested them above 150kgs and still ok. I have used them for about 1000 miles now and still going strong... Touch wood.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracciano-a42-alloy-clincher-wheelset/

Ignoring for a moment the low spoke count issue (20/24)... there are two aspects of those wheels which are unsuited to heavy or powerful riders, whatever the manufacturer says. BTW: I have not found the 150 Kg weight limit you mention, where is it?

1) The freehub (if Shimano) is very soft and a strong rider will thrash it very quickly. I have seen indents 3 mm deep in those freehubs, that lead to play in the cassette and make the problem worse

2) The front hub has very small bearings (20 x 9 x 5 mm on top of my head) which are unsuitable to carry heavy loads.
    left the forum March 2023
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Look at Rose bikes from Germany. 36 spoke wheels on a verity of rims and hub combinations and bargain prices. I've got mavic cxp33 on extreme (miche) hubs.
  • dg-crabb
    dg-crabb Posts: 7
    Thanks a lot for all the input loads of options to consider now! It's a minefield out there
  • d10brp
    d10brp Posts: 70
    I'm a similar weight and done a few thousand miles on my Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels, never had any issues.
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Specialized Secteur Elite