pain in the barse ! !

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited June 2015 in Road general
As title says.. I've been getting this on almost all rides. I was putting it down to cheapish bibs. Finally got a pair of assos bibs and thought they would sort it. First ride out tonight. . 40 miles. Bibs are perfect everywhere but I'm still getting discomfort in this area. I've tried several saddles, prolog, fabric, spesh etc. Anyone suffer the the same problem or could shed some light on this??

Comments

• Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    I have the same issues after about 1.5 hours it gets uncomfortable, in less time if I'm pushing it.

I've tried:

No padded shorts, 4 different type of padded shorts / bibs, 2 bikes, 6 saddles, 2 bike fits and moving the saddle back and forth, up and down, Standing up every 15 mins (that helps), Wearing 2 pair of padded shorts together, A gel cover on the seat.

If you find the answer please post.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    need more info. pain where? perineum, sit bones, sores?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • turbo1191
    sit bones and all other general area's are fine.. its in the title- its between the arse and the balls.. :D
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    sit bones and all other general area's are fine.. its in the title- its between the ars* and the balls.. :D

That's exactly where I've been having problems with this month, tried a few different saddles, lowered the seat post which helped a bit bit still not the comfort i was having.

Maybe it's due to increased frequency of riding in the light evenings?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I had this as my saddle was too narrow. Measured myself, ordered the correct wider saddle with a cutaway and no problems since.
  • turbo1191
    yeh, im thinking my next move is to order a saddle with a cutaway..
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Often this is about not having enough hip rotation to get the weight off the perineum and onto the sit bones. Try raising your saddle and lowering your bars; be conscious of keeping your back straight so that the adjustment to this position comes from the hips. Try 5mm increments. Cutaway saddles can also help, but won't fix it on their own.
  • turbo1191
    Ive just had a retul bike fit- and these things were adjusted.
  • Sutton_Rider
    I've tried 3 saddles with cutaways, unless you're problem is numb bits they won't help. What's the spacing on you're sit bones?
  • turbo1191
    I was measured at a spesh dealer and they told me I needed a 143 saddle. They didn't inform me what width they were though.. :?
  • Sutton_Rider
    That's a pretty wide seat. As a rule of thumb the saddle should be 20mm wider than your sit bones. You could try measuring them yourself. Check out the pad in your shorts you may be able to feel a couple of indentations. Or sit on some corrugated cardboard.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    yeh, im thinking my next move is to order a saddle with a cutaway..

I got the 155mm width specialized saddle as i am 6ft7 with wide shoulders. My wife couldn't stop laughing at the sit bone width measuring process :)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    That's a pretty wide seat. As a rule of thumb the saddle should be 20mm wider than your sit bones. You could try measuring them yourself. Check out the pad in your shorts you may be able to feel a couple of indentations. Or sit on some corrugated cardboard.
    Most people measure up as a 143mm.

Can I just say:- "perineum"

And that is all.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Everyone's experience is different but here's my take on the subject.....

After going through various types of saddles, Spesh, Bonts and Fiziks!!!! (Don't get me started on the subject of Fiziks, most uncomfortable saddle ever IMHO!) I Tried a Brookes B17, aside from a couple of tooth sucking moments in the first couple of weeks, it has proved in my estimation to be unbelievably comfortable, I once did a hundred and forty mile ride and trust me, at the end of the ride my arse was the only part of me that wasn't hurting!!
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    The yanks call it the 'taint' because 'tain't your balls and 'tain't your ass.
  • turbo1191
    edited June 2015
    I tried another saddle in the end. Spesh romin pro.. way better now. No pain.. The saddle itself is a bit firmer than my old one, so just need to get used to that..
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    gooch
  • HarryHall
    HarryHall Posts: 1
    If your chaffing ASSOS cream in the shorts :D