Upgrading tektro Lyra disc brakes?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Some advice needed please! I've got a jamis nova fitted with the afore-mentioned brakes. Spent a considerable length of time setting them up and fettling them but I'm finding the front in particular to be inconsistent and grabby to the point of me not having any confidence in them at all. So do I...

1 - get some really good quality pads and see if that improves matters
2 - upgrade to bb7s (how much of an upgrade is this anyway?)
3 - upgrade the front only
4 - upgrade both ends

Option 2 won't be too expensive

Option 3 is like a lite version of 4 really. Question is what to upgrade to. I can't afford full hydraulic so that's out. What about cable operated hydraulic? There's trp hy/rd and juin tech r1. Trp would be about £190 for both, juin tech are on eBay for £140. Or how about trp spyre? Or is there another option I haven't thought about? I basically have no idea so any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Better pads might help but personally I wouldn't bother. Skip the BB7s, the design is old and has the same limitations as your Lyras - one static pad, one moving pad meaning as soon as the pads have worn you need to fettle the static pad to get good bite again.

I went from BB5s to Spyres and have never looked back - they're better in every way, and the only adjustment you need to make is to tighten up the cable every once in a while - no complaint at all.

With that said though, the consensus is that the Hy/Rds are better still, and don't need adjustment for pad wear because of their hydraulics - if I were you I'd buy a hy/rd or spyre to put on the front (depending on budget) and go from there.

This is the first time I've heard of the Juin Tech R1s, they could be great but personally I'd go for one of the TRP options until they're a bit better known and tested (particularly as both the Spyres and Hy/Rds have had revisions since their initial releases - they're presumably a more mature product).
  • johngti
    Thanks for the info. I've been hovering towards the spyres anyway but strangely enough, they seem to get very mixed reviews. They've got to be better than the tektros though!!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The Hy Rd feel better than the Spyre. But that's to be expected. The Spyre are very very good. They are a definite upgrade. Avoid BB7, no point now.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I upgraded from BB7 to a TRP Parabox and whilst outright braking power is no better, feel is much nicer and I haven't had to touch them since getting them set up. New pads will be needed soon though.
    If you're going to replace the calipers I would probably go for the HyRd if you can. You could just do the front for now.
    I still have my BB7s, if you are local you can try them. I really should just chuck them on Ebay though. As others have said there are better designs out there now, but they are the best of the single piton calipers.
  • johngti
    Are the HyRd really that much better? Hmmm. Price difference between Spyre and HyRd seems to be about £20 per end
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Are the HyRd really that much better? Hmmm. Price difference between Spyre and HyRd seems to be about £20 per end
    Not having actually used either I can only hazard a guess.
    One of the issues I had with the BB7s was pulsing of the rear brake when applied gently. Being cable operated there is a hard mechanical link throughout. I guessed this may have been caused by a slight deformation of the disc. With the same disc this pulsing has now gone having fitted the hydraulic convertor. I guess the slight warp in the disc may still be moving fluid slightly but it does not make it to the brake lever. The difference in feel is harder to explain. With the Parabox I have a very short cable and long hose so the HyRd may well feel different, but it just seems that you can be more precise with the amount of pressure you apply. Hard to explain, it just feels better in that it doesn't feel as wooden. I would keep your rear brake as is for now and just get a HyRd on the front. If it is that much better consider the rear as well. Unless a pair is much cheaper than buying 2 separately. Or look on Ebay for a used Parabox set up.
  • bendertherobot
    Yes. The Hy Rd are better. They're not better in terms of outright performance.

They have a better feel to them, more progressive and, well, for want of a better word, comfier!

They are slightly easier to set up and adjust for their own pad wear.

If those 3 things are worth £20 then, yes, they are better.

I run 2 bikes with Hy Rd and one with Spyre SLC. The SLC are excellent when dialled in and set up. But I will have to keep adjusting them for pad wear.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I've the same bike and had the same issues as you - couldn't get the Lyras, front especially, to sit well and operate quietly. I got a a s/h BB7 for front only (£35 iirc) and it was a good swap. Adjustment was better and I saw no need, on an all-weather commute bike, to spend a lot more when this works perfectly well. The TRPs and similar are overkill given the price of the bike.
  • johngti
    Keeping an eye on an auction for a pair of HyRd due to finish tomorrow night. I think the lack of adjustment is a big selling point; the bike is mostly going to be the crappy weather commuter so the idea of not having to fiddle too much is very attractive. I'm not sure I'd trust the Lyra at all, far too grabby. Thanks all!

On a different note, what do you make of the Jamis Andy? I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be.
  • bendertherobot
    Price of bike shouldn't really dictate whether the TRP are overkill. If it's only a BSO, no point, get a better bike. But if the bike is half decent they are a sound all weather commuting investment.
  • johngti
    Price of bike shouldn't really dictate whether the TRP are overkill. If it's only a BSO, no point, get a better bike. But if the bike is half decent they are a sound all weather commuting investment.

I tend to agree. The base model Jamis is a damned good bike for the money (and when it comes from eBay like what mine did it's even betterer!). I've already put a SRAM drive train and shifters on it and only spent just over £300 so sticking good quality brakes on is the logical next step. I think the decision is to try for the eBay HyRds as a first option and then maybe try out the juin tech brakes if that falls through. I'm a bit OCD about having things complete - mixing and matching makes me very uncomfortable!
  • bendertherobot

I tend to agree. The base model Jamis is a damned good bike for the money (and when it comes from eBay like what mine did it's even betterer!). I've already put a SRAM drive train and shifters on it and only spent just over £300 so sticking good quality brakes on is the logical next step. I think the decision is to try for the eBay HyRds as a first option and then maybe try out the juin tech brakes if that falls through. I'm a bit OCD about having things complete - mixing and matching makes me very uncomfortable!

Yeah, if you can get the TRP for the same, or similar, to the juin tech, that's the best option. I'd never heard of them. Looked at the reviews, they look very good indeed. But the TRP are tried and tested by many members on here so that's the place to start.
  • johngti
    Won the HyRds last night. Ended up being the same price as the juin tech brakes but tried and tested and all that! Thanks for all the help folks