Replacing FSA Compact outer chainring for a Campy groupset

2_tyred_itai
2_tyred_itai Posts: 53
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi, did a search but couldn't find the answer to my specific questions.

My FSA 50t chainring is looking worse for wear and I'm pretty sure it's affecting my shifting. It's a 5-bolt 110mm ring on an FSA crank serving a Campagnolo groupset with a KMC chain.

I've read somewhere that chainrings for Campy are spaced differently but I assume this is taken care of by the bolts and crank, which I would look to keep.

Would any 5-bolt 110mm 50t chainring do or do I have to be careful about matching it. I've seen how expensive chainrings can be, and as it isn't an expense I've budgeted for I'm trying to save a few quid.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Any one that fits will do.
  • Any one that fits will do.

Oh. How come some specify compatibility with Camy and others Shimano/SRAM? Or is that BS?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you've got FSA cranks, then the Campag question is a bit redundant, as that's only an issue of you have more recent Campag cranks.

Campag and Shimano have been changing their crack patterns recently so compatibility is all over the place. I even think FSA had/have some non symmetric spider patterns too. But if yours are five arm, then I would think they'll be regular old fashioned rings
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    TA or Stronglight Zircal if you want something durable - try Spa Cycles. Campagnolo have a wonky bolt pattern on their compact chainsets which is probably what you've heard about. No worries with FSA, they take standard rings.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ok thanks for the advice.

Will check out Spa Cycles too