Tunisian beach resort

CYCLESPORT1
CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
edited July 2015 in The cake stop
The majority of the 38 people killed in the attack on a Tunisian beach resort were British, the country's prime minister Habib Essid has said.

Islamic State extremists have said they carried out the attack.

Do you still want to go on holiday to a Muslim country ?

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No and i never have.
    But considering the amount of illegal migration that is allowed to go unhindered into the EU, how long before a similar act occurs (again) within Europe? so far this year, approx 140k have entered eu via Greece, the med and other border crossing.
    i am all for helping genuine refugees but i am not sure that all these people are all that genuine.

Its a terrible situation that has happened in Tunisia, must be a nightmare for those still there.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Yes, I wouldn't mind going to Turkey or Egypt, possibly even Iran, they've got some stunning architecture there and a fascinating history. The chances of me being killed would be very, very low.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    Yes, I wouldn't mind going to Turkey or Egypt, possibly even Iran, they've got some stunning architecture there and a fascinating history. The chances of me being killed would be very, very low

Why ?
  • finchy
    Because far more people visit these countries on holiday without getting killed than become victims. I'd probably avoid Syria and Iraq at the moment though.
  • finchy
    If that's in response to my post, what has the story got to do with Turkey, Egypt or Iran?
  • nicube
    nicube Posts: 175
    I was at that very hotel for a fortnight, just came home on Monday! Absouloutley devastating news!

I've been to many Muslim countries for holidays and people are so nice, Tunisians especially just couldn't do enough for us and these selfish sick monsters are killing the lives of their own people with their actions as well as the tourists.

I tell you what, I'd go back tomorrow if we were allowed, we can't let these people win!!

My heart goes out to everyone caught up in this terrible event :cry:
    LOOK 795 Aerolight Dura ace Di2
    LOOK 675 Dura ace mechanical
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    OP

Is France a Muslim country?

Tunisia, which gave birth to the Arab Spring?

Tunisia, where a secular party defeated an Islamic party and is seen as a model of political compromise for north African countries.

The demographic is indeed 98% Muslim and the statements of fact above sit at odds with your ignorant and simply offensive comments.

Let terrorist shape your actions, they win. The Tunisians need our support and it's only by standing by like minded people will you galvanise and energise the right values within the societies we make up.

It goes without saying you've never put your self in harms way eh.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    OP Do you want answers to your question or do you just want to air your prejudices?

If it's the latter then you are a very sick puppy!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Tunsia, Eygpt, Turkey etc do guarantee sunshine, which is more than can be said for Europe and the chances of being killed do lower the price of the holiday. 20 foreign tourists were killed in Tunisia earlier this year so I'd probably give it a miss for a while.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    The majority of the 38 people killed in the attack on a Tunisian beach resort were British, the country's prime minister Habib Essid has said.

Islamic State extremists have said they carried out the attack.

Do you still want to go on holiday to a Muslim country ?
    Make a list of Worldwide locations in which a terrorist attack has occurred.
    Where does it leave for future trips?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    OP Do you want answers to your question or do you just want to air your prejudices?

when thses places were Governed with an iron fist, we didnt have, to the same extent, anything like the probs we ve got now, we ve jumped in, meddled and screwed these places over, the mess that is Libya/iraq and Afganistan is testament that we are hated in large sections of the Muslim world and tbh who can blame them? we ve killed tens of 1000's with our bombing and destroyed their way of life.

So no, i would nt go anywhere near Tunisia or anywhere similar, i ve had my share of danger as a youngster and i dont need it now.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I didn't stop going into Central London after any of the IRA bombings.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    I didn't stop going into Central London after any of the IRA bombings.

IRA were not into suicide bombings or beheadings and they didnt have a pathological hatred of all things British, they had political aims, and wanted to live to see them through, ISIS dont have, theirs is an ideology.

But i also lived and worked in the city during this time and it was a pia but i had too, i dont have to go on hoilday anywhere.
    i understand many tourists in tunisia are staying as they think lightening doesnt strike twice, fair play to them, i d be on the first plane home.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    So very sad and upsetting to see the tragic waste of life on the beaches of Tunisia all committed by one man's warped sense of serving some divine, omnipotent being.
    I visited Tunisia many years ago, when it must have been a dictatorship. The people were very friendly and welcoming and I never ever felt threatened. I feel very sorry for the tens of thousands along this stretch of coast that rely on the tourist trade for their living. There is no denying that their livelihoods are going to be severely affected. It is ultimately what IS want, the removal of westerners from an Islamic country and the population to become disaffected and turn to more extreme forms of an already conservative religion.

At the risk of baiting some waspish response from some of you, I am getting rather tired of heads of state (CaMoron, ObamaCare, Merkin, Hollandaise) re-iterating that Islam is a religion of peace, every time an atrocity is committed.
    1. the argument is starting to wear rather thin &
    2. no religion has ever been 'peaceful' in the last two millennia, all of them have committed horrendous crimes against humanity in order to spread the word and control the masses.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Absolutely disgraceful and utterly unjustifiable under any circumstances. Undefended and completely vulnerable. How can any religion, 'freedom' fighter, patriot, zealot, soldier call it/them whatever you will , be 'proud' of this contemptible action.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

Incredibly CNN and the 'correspondent' from London are deadly serious about this. Chapeau to the gent that mocked the IS flag. I think that all world wide news channels should use this flag when reporting on IS, it will really get the savages thongs in a twist.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mamba80

Incredibly CNN and the 'correspondent' from London are deadly serious about this. Chapeau to the gent that mocked the IS flag. I think that all world wide news channels should use this flag when reporting on IS, it will really get the savages thongs in a twist.

Trying to defeat IS with a p1$$ take of their flag will not make any difference, aside from give another european muslim yet another excuse for jihad on the west.
    As we are not going to throw millions of muslims out of europe, nor put soldiers on the ground in Syria/Iraq (not that we ve the capability within EU anymore) then the only way to defeat IS ideology is to engage with them, within Europe.
    We are weak, unable to stem the tide of migration into EU nor able to engage them militarily, Osborne will cut the UK defence forces yet again in the mini budget and ISIS know we are incapable and like any bully, IS picks on the meek.
  • I've got a friend who yesterday changed his holiday in Tunisia for one in Turkey. Good one m9
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Nigel Farage hit the nail on the head in his opinion in the Mail. It was spot on and it sums up everything that is wrong in 21st century Great Britain.
    We are led by soft, liberal and un patriotic f* wits..
    Lefty, liberal wishy washy morons have wrecked this once great country.
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Nigel Farage hit the nail on the head in his opinion in the Mail. It was spot on and it sums up everything that is wrong in 21st century Great Britain.
    We are led by soft, liberal and un patriotic f* wits..
    Lefty, liberal wishy washy morons have wrecked this once great country.

^^^ This ^^^

... sums up everything that is wrong in 21st century Great Britain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Nah. You lot need to stop being a p*ssy and man up.

It's plenty weaker going around saying anyone Islamic needs to leave because you've let the terrorists terrorise you.

Don't you understand that's what terrorists want to do? They want you to be scared and turn that into hatred.

A p*ssy blames it on something they don't understand and declare "authorities" must deal with it.
  • rick_chasey
    What happened to the stiff upper lip?

What happened to being the world's leading liberal force? It was Britain in the 19thC and again in the 20th.

Terrorists can't handle liberalism. They are too weak to tolerate.

They can't rub shoulders with other opinions or ways of life.

UK stands strong in against oppressive groups.

It is the boldest and strongest fight to fight illiberalism and stay tolerant.

Man up. Don't be scared
  • rick_chasey
    How can you say liberalism has wrecked the UK when it has shaped if for 200 years?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

It's plenty weaker going around saying anyone Islamic needs to leave because you've let the terrorists terrorise you.

Don't you understand that's what terrorists want to do? They want you to be scared and turn that into hatred.

A p*ssy blames it on something they don't understand and declare "authorities" must deal with it.

I don't recall anyone saying that anyone Islamic has to leave, certainly not on here, and as far as I know not even anyone from UKIP.
    Yes, terrorists terrorise. The clue is in the name. This group, IS, wish to govern their own territory as a Caliphate. They are not interested if anyone outside loves or hates them, they just want them to fear them and bend to their will.
    So far, the majority of casualties of these Islamic terrorists groups have been fellow Moslems. Not being discussed here, but there was a suicide bomber in a mosque in Kuwaiti City, where the victims were Moslem.
    Fine sentiment Rick, saying Liberalism will prevail in the end. But even Liberalism needed the help of guns to defeat Naziism didn't it.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The odd thing is that of the many types/kinds of people I have met, muslims are amongst the most honourable.
    I always find it sad when I hear friends who in the main are untravelled outside of the usual spain etc who seem to think that Arab states are no go zones and dangerous.
    Of course that is true of some regions but to blame an entire "people" is lunacy.
    We are in a mess in the UK, we have no road ahead that is set, we mix/match/react to things without true plans, we waste/ruin/spoil/squander that great things we have and it happens consistently.
    I feel sorry for those people trying to get across the channel, they have no idea of the shiatsu they are doing everything they can to get too.
    Living MY dream.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Perhaps a slightly more acceptable way of airing your prejudices than the way that Seiffeddine Rezgui chose. I've got to admit that I have an incurable prejudice against murderers as well.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    Ban Islam in all Christian country's
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474

But even Liberalism needed the help of guns to defeat Naziism didn't it.

Two aspects here, one political will and "you can't put an ideology against the wall and machine gun it to death.

It's the political will to defeat IS which is the issue. The regional powers Jordan, Saudi, Iran and Turkey could literally wipe IS off the face of the earth in military terms. It's on their doorstep and yet they tinker around the edges fighting IS by proxy.

Certainly IS would achieve their aims if we all followed the yellow road the OP has taken but militarily is only one front as we have to defeat the ideology which is much harder and intangible as their will always be the disenfranchised, poor and victimised to swell the ranks of the true believers.

The unemployment for the youth of Tunisia is 45%. Fertile ground for recruiters of whatever madman or warped view of religion which happens to take root and spout their poison.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu