Veloce - front derailleur problem

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited June 2015 in Workshop
A couple of weeks ago, I managed to lock up my drivetrain briefly while shifting front and rear simultaneously (start of a big hill). I jumped off and unjammed the chain - didn't seem to be any damage.

But, since then, I've had problems with shifting between the chain rings, in particular shifting from the 50 ring to the 34 ring.

I've played around with the barrel adjuster and by screwing it in fully (i.e. minimum tension on the cable) it seems okay when on the stand but is still a bit flaky when out riding - after trying to change to the smaller chainring I have to change the rear into bigger cogs to help encourage it to shift.

The front derailleur doesn't seem to have moved - i.e. it still looks to be in the same position and straight as it was before?

I've got some time tomorrow and I'm going to start from scratch - loosen the cable altogether, make sure the derailleur is in exactly the right position and refit the cable. Before I do, any suggestions about what might be the problem so I can make sure I look out for that? Could it just be something as simple as the cable having been pulled slightly through the clamp when I locked the drivetrain?

Thanks in advance.

THI
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If the mech hasn't been twisted around the clamp, it sounds like the cable has slipped. Setting up from scratch sounds like the way to go.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I did something similar last year and the cage of my FD got a bit bent - squeezing it together again helped but ultimately I had to replace it.

I'd start how you said though and hopefully it's just a setup problem.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    If the jam resulted in chain being forced into the front derailleur then it is most likely that the sides have been distorted thus affecting the shifting.
    As k-dog said try squeezing the sides in but you may well find it is distorted and needs replacement.
    I have had the same issues with a SRAM fd.
  • Well, I think it was just cable slippage. I loosened the cable, reclamped and adjusted and it seemed fine on Sunday's ride. I'll keep an eye on it, though - and try to avoid locking it up again.

Cheers
    THI
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.