Shimano Front Mech

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance between Shimano Deore, SLX and XT front mechs, I see when a bike comes it always seems to have a lower spec front mech than the rear is there a reason for this bar for cost ?

Also on my Anthem the clamp on band is below the mech and looking on CR there XT ones the band seem to be above is this what they are talking about when they say top pull and dual pull or is that the cable operation ? Also does is matter where the band mount is ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi All.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance between Shimano Deore, SLX and XT front mechs, I see when a bike comes it always seems to have a lower spec front mech than the rear is there a reason for this bar for cost ?

Also on my Anthem the clamp on band is below the mech and looking on CR there XT ones the band seem to be above is this what they are talking about when they say top pull and dual pull or is that the cable operation ? Also does is matter where the band mount is ?

the rear mech tends to be up leveled to make the bike look better equiped and it is pointless.

pull is just that cable direction. band position it covered by top swing and bottom swing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, that's bottom swing or top swing. (Or conventional and low mount). Yours would be top swing/low mount.
    Pull is how the cable connects, many are dual pull.
    All front mechs are nasty and clunky, so getting fancy generally only saves a few grammes. IMHO of course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Although all slightly different styles, the lightest front mech I had was a Deore, lighter than two different XT's and an LX.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Thank you for the replies.