Rim question

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited June 2015 in Road general
I got a quote for Mavic Aksium elite 25s in chain reaction. I was told the 25mm rim would be suitable for slightly heavier rider, and the wheels are in my budget. (cant afford handbuilts) my current wheels are 622-15c wheels. Will my bike be able to take 25c rims? Im getting confused. And will I need to stick to 25mm tyres on this rim?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I think they are trying to confuse you... 15 is an internal width of the rim, just like yours and 25 is an external diameter of the tyre they offer in the combo...

Basically they are a pair of normal Aksium with some Mavic branded 25 mm tyres... there is no magic in that

Keep your wheels (same width) and stick bigger tyres if that's what you are after
    left the forum March 2023
  • seanorawe
    I think they are trying to confuse you... 15 is an internal width of the rim, just like yours and 25 is an external diameter of the tyre they offer in the combo...

Basically they are a pair of normal Aksium with some Mavic branded 25 mm tyres... there is no magic in that

Keep your wheels (same width) and stick bigger tyres if that's what you are after

I need to change the wheels to upgrade from Sora 9sp to 105 11sp. It was chain reaction I spoke to. I cant believe he would say that though with regards to the weight and the wider rim. I took it he meant a 25mm rim and that is where im getting confused, but he definitely said the rims were rider and would support weight better on this wheelset and running 23mm tyres might be an issue.

Link
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-aksium-elite-25-wheelset-2015/rp-prod126987
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

I need to change the wheels to upgrade from Sora 9sp to 105 11sp. It was chain reaction I spoke to. I cant believe he would say that though with regards to the weight and the wider rim. I took it he meant a 25mm rim and that is where im getting confused, but he definitely said the rims were rider and would support weight better on this wheelset and running 23mm tyres might be an issue.

Link
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-aksium-elite-25-wheelset-2015/rp-prod126987

And if you read the link there is no mention of 25 mm wide rims... which is instead the tyre size . the Rim is a 15 x 622 ETRTO, just like yours

CRC is a big corporation, you speak at the phone with folks who know virtually nothing about bicycles. If you want to have a chat with a competent chap, buy from SPA Cycles, although I suspect they won't ship to the USA
    left the forum March 2023
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    I got a quote for Mavic Aksium elite 25s in chain reaction. I was told the 25mm rim would be suitable for slightly heavier rider, and the wheels are in my budget. (cant afford handbuilts) my current wheels are 622-15c wheels. Will my bike be able to take 25c rims? Im getting confused. And will I need to stick to 25mm tyres on this rim?

What you need to look more at is the spokes...for a "bomb proof" (if properly built) you will want to look at 32 spokes in a 3 cross fashion. I would also look for Brass nipples at least on the drive side of the rear wheel. You could more than likely get away with a 28 spoke from wheel 2 cross. You could go double butted spokes on the front and the non-drive side of the rear. Also, make certain that you get a wheel with "spoke prep" or similar and are "pre-tensioned" (meaning basically the wheels were pressed horisontally to let the spokes "unwind" in the seats, and then re-trued). I would also maybe look for a double eyelet rim, such as the Open4 from Mavic.

Granted this is in the US but this is the MOST popular go-to wheel for people on their training bikes. You know it will get you home and require about nothing but riding.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/road-whls-ultegra-6800-mavic-open-pro

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/wheels/road/sport-road-wheelset
  • seanorawe

Link

And if you read the link there is no mention of 25 mm wide rims... which is instead the tyre size . the Rim is a 15 x 622 ETRTO, just like yours

CRC is a big corporation, you speak at the phone with folks who know virtually nothing about bicycles. If you want to have a chat with a competent chap, buy from SPA Cycles, although I suspect they won't ship to the USA

US? I'm in UK
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote=

CRC is a big corporation, you speak at the phone with folks who know virtually nothing about bicycles. If you want to have a chat with a competent chap, buy from SPA Cycles, although I suspect they won't ship to the USA[/quote]

US? I'm in UK[/quote]

I suspect Location: Indiana... might give the idea that you're on the other side of the pond...?
  • seanorawe
    [quote=

US? I'm in UK[/quote]

I suspect Location: Indiana... might give the idea that you're on the other side of the pond...?[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, I might need to change that. Indiana land was my childhood version of a soft play area
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Right im lost
  • seanorawe
    Right im lost

Long story short. Chain reaction confused me, along with themselves.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    [/quote] I would also maybe look for a double eyelet rim, such as the Open4 from Mavic.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/road-whls-ultegra-6800-mavic-open-pro

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/wheels/road/sport-road-wheelset[/quote]

The Open 4 is'nt produced in 20 years and the Open Pro is outdated for at least 10 years.
    Much better rims available now...
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    Agreed about much better rims - he however stated that he is heavier. Heavier likes a higher spoke count. Higher spoke count allows lower spoke tension. Lower spoke tension allows a tad bit more comfort. Plus, a 32x is BOMB proof even on a tandem. When money is an issue the wise dollar gets spent on something that will last forever. Best I could tell, he is not looking at race wheels.
  • keezx
    Take a 17C rim and you can sink the pressure 1 bar which brings more comfort than any wheelconstruction.
    Agree about the spokecount, not for comfort but reliability/durability.
  • seanorawe
    Having said all that, the Mavic Aksium elite I have been told is a decent budget wheel upgrade, and should take a good battering. If I watch out for pot holes and not drop off uneven road, I should be fine until I cut some weight. I got down from 21 stone to 16 stone in a year, but I got knocked off the bike and I could not ride for longer than 20 mins without pain. Now Im better and ready to go and shift the rest off me.

On another note, I was advised the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG would be a good option
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • keezx
    I would never buy them (but I'm a diehard handbuilt fan , by myself)