Internal Cabling...

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I have a Felt B16 with internal cabling. After adjusting my position, i now want to trim the excess from the cables and housings. Do they run in sheaths inside the frame? If I take the cables out, how do I do replace them efficiently?
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Depends - some frames have the outers run all the way through, some have ferrules built in for the outers and Some have a mix of both. When there are ferrules, there is sometimes a plastic sheath inside the frame to guide the cable between ferrules. Sometimes there isn't :)

For full outer cable runs through the frame, you can remove the outers and keep the old inner running through the frame to use as a 'guide' for the new outer. Then replace the inner.

if there's an internal sheath and ferrules, it's straight forward.

if it's ferruled and no internal sheath, try tying cotton to the old inner, pull that through as you take the old inner out. Then use teh cotton to guide the new cable through. Also, if the ferrules/cable-stops are removeable, you can better hook cables if you try to do it without any guides.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If there is no sheath inside I tend to strip a piece of cable housing so just the thin plastic tubing is left. The cut the the cable near the shifter (so cutting the bit at the end that stops it being pulled through the shifter off, sorry for getting too technical there!) pull it through the shifter until it is at the entrance to the frame, back it off a bit then pass the thin tubing over the end so enough of it is on that it isn't going to fall off in a hurry. then thread the new cable through everything until it gets to the bit when it will go through the frame, put the end in the other half of the thin tube. gently pull the old cable out and push the new one through, being careful that it doesn't come out of the tube. job done!

i tried tying various things to the old and new cables but without much success.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • If you need to route a cable through, and it isn't internally guided, you can use the cotton and hoover trick.

Basically, you put the end of the hoover over the exit hole on the frame (with the hoover turned on, obviously) and feed a thin bit of cotton into the entrance hole. The cotton will naturally follow the airflow through to the exit hole, and once it's through the frame, you can then use this to pull the outer through.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If you need to route a cable through, and it isn't internally guided, you can use the cotton and hoover trick.

Basically, you put the end of the hoover over the exit hole on the frame (with the hoover turned on, obviously) and feed a thin bit of cotton into the entrance hole. The cotton will naturally follow the airflow through to the exit hole, and once it's through the frame, you can then use this to pull the outer through.

Have you ever got this to work? I have tried and failed a number of times, maybe I need a better hoover?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If you need to route a cable through, and it isn't internally guided, you can use the cotton and hoover trick.

Tried this. Doesn't work.