Sportful Light No-Rain Jacket Report.

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited June 2015 in Road general
Mornin Chaps,
For those interested, just thought I'd post up a quick report of my recent purchase....

I was looking for something infinitely packable, but warm and waterproof, and this seemed to fit the bill. I wore it one evening last week, when the sun was going down, and it was superb, took off the wind/chill, without being sweaty at all.
However, yesterdays ride, with just a short sleeve jersey underneath, which turned into a 3hr affair in constant rain/drizzle, it came into its own, and was fantastic. The windproof material its made from did just that, keep the wind off the front of me, whilst the breathable back & back of arms/shoulders kept me from overheating, worked really really well.
Friend with me in a base layer and jersey was cold & wet when we got back, but I hadnt felt any of that at all, and my jersey underneath was only slightly damp after 3hrs effort and rain.

Only warning I'll give is with the sizing, - seems that Sportful/Castelli only size for 55/60kg Italian Midgets !! - I'm no man mountain, perhaps a large build, 44" Chest etc, but had to change the XXL for an XXXL - which fits me perfectly !!

Not cheap at £85, but I know already this is gonna get a helluva lot of use, tis superb.

Sportful-Fiandre-Light-NoRain-Top-three.jpg

Comments

• akastana
    akastana Posts: 66
    Got one of these too, it's excellent - great for mixed weather, can ride in it all day even if it doesn't end up raining without boiling in the bag!
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Got one of these a few weeks back as well after reading good reports.
    Its fantastic! Its replaced about 3 separate bits of clothing!

Folds up small enough to be carried in a back pocket, will protect from wind, but doesn't boil you in the bag as the fabric is quite breathable. Also great for the chilly morning starts before the sun comes out.
    Perfect for protection from a shower as well - not going to stop a downpour, but to be honest, if its raining that hard....nothing will.

Good news for everyone else.....probikekit now have this on sale for £60 (only S,M, XL & XXL left)
  • dempsey1
    dempsey1 Posts: 320
    Yep, really happy with mine too. Top notch bit of gear
  • Had mine for 4 months..agree with posts..it's excellent...keeps chill off/no boil in the bag/pretty good in showers/packs down to very small
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I'm not sure whether that's the same as the Sportful jacket I got as a "freebie" at the Nove Colli last year but I presume it must be similar. That doubles as a windproof, packs down to the size of a 500ml bottle and is absolutely great.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Bought one, not as packable as I thought it would be, so it went back!
  • zak3737

Folds/rolls down into 1 jersey pocket, how packable can a jacket be ?!?!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

Folds/rolls down into 1 jersey pocket, how packable can a jacket be ?!?!

It does indeed, but as a previous poster said like the size of a 500ml bottle which for me is too big, I don't want to ride any kind of distance with something that big/bulky in a pocket, especially when I have 2 different race capes that fold to half the size. YMMV.
  • Castelli Leggero

6a00d83453140969e201538e74f631970b-pi
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • zak3737
    Oh I'm sure there are more 'packable' jackets and the like, like the Castelli , but whether they are as good is another matter,
    - this Fiandre No-Rain is perfectly between a lightweight wind/waterproof jacket, with barely any warmth at all, and a snug long sleeve jersey.

Each to their own, but seems that most who have tried it, love it, but you can't please all.