Loose spoke in rear wheel

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited June 2015 in Workshop
While riding yesterday I noticed a sound coming from the rear of my bike. When I got back I inspected the rear wheel and found that one spoke on the non drive side was very loose. Is it just a case of tightening it up slightly?

The wheel is a reasonably new DT-SWISS R23 Spline. It is very slightly out of true which i assume is being caused by loose spoke. Doing la Marmotte next weekend so don't want a spoke snapping on me

cheers

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It may be just one loose spoke, or symptomatic of the wheel being under tensioned that will cause more problems in the future. I would take it to a knowledgable LBS or wheel builder and have them look at it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • one spoke on the non drive side was very loose.

It is very slightly out of true which i assume is being caused by loose spoke.

With all due respect if you don't know which spoke(s) is/are associated with the very slight departure from true then I don't think you would be wise to touch the wheel at all. Its very logical and where the departure is, which side or vertical it is towards indicates which spoke(s) are the problem.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Apparently I am not allowed to say what I think about DT Swiss wheels build quality anymore... but you can probably find out if you search in the buying advice section... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I think what US is saying is dont waste your money on having a wheelbuilder sort out cheap (basically) factory wheels..or do a classic Alpine route even
    get that credit card out now, if you can afford the Marmotte you can afford some wheels that will sort you out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I think what US is saying is dont waste your money on having a wheelbuilder sort out cheap (basically) factory wheels..or do a classic Alpine route even
    get that credit card out now, if you can afford the Marmotte you can afford some wheels that will sort you out.

No, U S is just lamenting the fact that he is no longer able to say what he thinks without being persecuted and threatened
    left the forum March 2023
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Then perhaps it's better if you don't post in these kind of threads from now on. If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited June 2015
    Then perhaps it's better if you don't post in these kind of threads from now on. If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.

I'm not sure non constructive commenting justifies threatening people. **** internet bullies.

To the OP, in that situation I'd probably take it to a bike shop and get it tensioned properly, it's clearly got issues with build quality.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I agree that is worth having the wheel trued and tensioned. A wheel is only really as good as the builder and one loose spoke could just be that or it could be a sign that it's not built especially well. In my experience once one spoke goes then you're just waiting for the rest to go - it's well worth having someone local sort it out - not expensive and they'll last a good while longer.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.