Campagnolo Veloce RH shifter problems...

cgraley77
cgraley77 Posts: 66
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,
Hoping for some help/clarity on a currently annoying situation with my 10sp Campag Veloce RH shifter and/or RD.

All was working fine until a week/fortnight ago, when I started to notice that when I was pedalling in, say, one of the smallest 5 cogs of my cassette, and upshifted (tried to move to a smaller cog), it would shift multiple cogs at once (2/3/4). I'm fairly sure the Veloce 10sp shifters (2013) are do not have the Ultrashift technology which allows multiple shifts so I don't think it is this.

I'm thinking it could be a problem with cable tension (although why it has manifested itself now I have no idea) - however I can't decide whether it would be due to too little or too much tension - could this be the problem?

If not, what would people recommend? I could unclamp the cable and retighten, clean/lube the cable guide under the BB? Or could it be a problem with the actual cable inner/outer?

Starting to bug me now, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Cam

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Probably nothing to do with the cables but rather a worn ratched ring.
    These things can be replaced but cannot be bought anywere, so you have to buy a complete mechanism.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    These things can be replaced but cannot be bought anywere, so you have to buy a complete mechanism.

Yes. I think that will be the problem. I had exactly the same with mine and after messing around with it a bit I bought new shifters. Problem cured... but I wasn't impressed with the longlevity of of the Veloce shifters... mine had only done about 7000 miles.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    Unfortunately you both seem to be correct...2 independant diagnoses from LBS's said it was a worn ratchet, which appears to be a common problem.

@dabber- mine have only done 4.5k miles!!! Seems like bad luck, especially as they are only out of the 1 year warranty by 2 months which is a pain. Still, 75 quid for new shifters on Wiggle isn't the worst and I can sell the new LH one/my current LH shifter.

Thanks for the help
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322

Yes. I think that will be the problem. I had exactly the same with mine and after messing around with it a bit I bought new shifters. Problem cured... but I wasn't impressed with the longlevity of of the Veloce shifters... mine had only done about 7000 miles.

That's why I only use pre 2007 shifters from which anything can be bought and replaced......

PSW, a very strange thing is that the similar ratched ring for the LH shifter actually can be bought.
    What is wrong with Campagnolo?