My First Commuting Anniversary!

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
Well it's official - today is the first anniversary of commuting to work by bike (and if you were around a year ago, you'll know that that's after twenty years of not riding at all!)

And I've managed to cycle every working day - sun, wind, rain or snow! No more bus for me! 8)

So what have I learned:
  • I really enjoy cycling - I was a bit worried at the beginning - wondering whether things like knees/joints etc would hold up. There was some adjustment at first, but now it's all good!
  • It's so much faster than the bus ever was - it takes me just 20-25 minutes for my little commute one way - if I had to get the bus it would be twice that at least!
  • The miles and time mount up - according to Strava I've cycled over 3,200 miles and spend over 244 hours on the bike! (I know that's not a lot to some of you - but it really made me think, especially as I've halved my commute time as well).

I've also learned:
  • I now want another bike "for best" :wink: - still haven't managed to find quite the right convincing argument for SWMBO yet though - despite all your help :lol:
  • The weather really isn't a problem if you're wearing the right clothing (which I have to admit in my case does involve a lot of lycra).
  • Aberdeen isn't a bad place to cycle, and city driving isn't as scary as I thought it would be if you ride assertively.
  • Half of you lot on here are crazy cycling freaks who can knock out 100 miles with your eyes shut and no hands! Something which I still yet aspire to...
  • You can take your bike on trains - I had a meeting in Glasgow last week, so I took my bike on the train and cycled to the meeting as well!
  • Don't ever ask about the merits of helmets. Or Hi-Viz.

So year two starts here!
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Where's the Like button?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lefthook wrote:
    Where's the Like button?
    likethispost.jpg

Congrats 8)
    Now, about bike 2.

If you can't buy it all at once then you need to start buying it in pieces.
    Look at that wheelset - your wheels will eventually fail, and this is too good a deal to pass up.
    Pretty soon you have enough spare parts to build a new bike and it'd be silly not to do that.

If you need any pointers, talk to DanielB ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    very well done

outside of the freaks on this forum you would find very few people cycling more than 3,200 miles per year
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Unfortunatly my job and location of office mean it's nigh on impossible to commute by bike. 3.5 miles from home and needing a car for work is such a pain.

Well done though and +props for the commitment.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    All the above seconded - good for you, and keep it up!
  • seajays
    Cheers guys! I would encourage anyone on here who's just thinking of starting to commute by bike to just do it.

What prompted me was a move to a new office location - and I have to admit I have a very nice easy cycle - almost all of my 5.6 miles is off road cycle path, past lovely trees and fields.

But even so, my bus commute home when I was in the city centre used to take an hour. When I now have to go into the city centre during the week, my commute home takes me just over 35 minutes. I now wish I'd been doing this years ago!
    My Strava
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Congratulations

2012 was my starting point - first time on a bike since University in the 1980s! Similarly am completely converted and love it. Saving north of 2 grand on London travel is a real bonus too
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Unfortunatly my job and location of office mean it's nigh on impossible to commute by bike. 3.5 miles from home and needing a car for work is such a pain.

Leave the car at work?

Well done Seajays.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Good on you Seajays. I find it really helps to have someone friendly on strava to 'compete' with :P :mrgreen: 8)
  • Nice post Seajays - re the N+1 - it's been quoted several times on here but 'it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission' is a good approach.
  • seajays
    Nice post Seajays - re the N+1 - it's been quoted several times on here but 'it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission' is a good approach.

You've clearly never met my wife… :lol::mrgreen:

Seriously though my cycle to work payments finish this month... which then means I can then get another bike through that tax free again apparently! So that might well be happening...
    My Strava
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    Re N+1.
    Your current bike has already paid for itself by saving on PT & gym membership.
    Bike 2 will pay for itself in the coming year/years.
    Buy for the "good" bike and trickle down to the commuter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.