Not again...! Insurance and the mythical M&S of old.....

g00se
g00se Posts: 2,221
edited June 2015 in Road general
No vested interest here, but saw a link to this insurance broker in Bikes Etc magazine:

http://pedalcover.co.uk/

Checked out some online reviews and they seem legit and friendly. They're underwritten by AXA and it's basically near-identical to the old M&S buildings and contents policy with un-named bikes allowed up to the value of £10,000 each! The rest of the policy is similar: no need to ground anchors in outbuildings; decent lock if left outside in public; gear and accessories covered too etc.

Price is about the same as regular buildings and contents too - so just saved £150 on my previous insurance as I had to name the posh bike on the policy. May be worth checking if you have a renewal coming up.

Comments

• Average premium £344? Maybe I live in a slum but is that not incredibly expensive? I pay less than £200 for B&C including individual bike cover (valued at £3k). Mind, I've never had to claim for anything yet...
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides
  • g00se
    My quotes come in around the £300+ for B&C without any named bike extras (that's with accidental damage and stuff).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Remember to check that everything is covered away from home.
    That is a tricky get out clause for insurance companies.
    You might want to check on international cover if going on holiday too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • My quotes come in around the £300+ for B&C without any named bike extras (that's with accidental damage and stuff).

Ah yeah, that'll be it, then - I never bother with that accidental damage stuff. It's the extras that turn a really cheap quote (like mine) into an exorbitant one
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides
  • g00se

Yes - everything covered worldwide with accidental damage too (including time trials and sportives)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Yes - everything covered worldwide with accidental damage too (including time trials and sportives)
    Send me a reminder in March? :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Got quoted £391 so went elsewhere (Barclays) as I'd essentially be paying a load extra (~£150) just for cover in time trials. I was with Axa last year and have just left them as they wanted to bump up my premium by about 20% so I guess I was never going to get a good quote from Pedalcover!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Blimey how much? I pay £230 to insure my car, I think I'll stick with liability cover and an alarmed garage.