Slicker tyres for back wheel advice please

adamCCC
adamCCC Posts: 26
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking to get a slicker tyre for my back wheel as I do a decent amount of miles on tarmac as well as off road.

I have 1 new'ish tyre currently, which im thinking about moving to the front, its a "Maxxis Larsen TT XC MTB Tyre
Black, 26", 2.0", Folding Bead, 70a"

Could anyone advise on which back tyre I should go for? I want something slicker to give me extra speed on tarmac. I was looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-race-king-mtb-tyre/rp-prod30196 but they only come in a folding bead (i find it much easier to change folding bead tyres) with a 2.2" width, does it make a difference that its slightly wider? Also, can I go for a tyre with even less tread?

I would greatly appreciate any advice as im a bit lost on this!

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• Sandpaper
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Racing Ralph rear is a good compromise, but it depends on how much tread you need off road, a Kenda Small Block 8 is faster rolling and works well ff road except in mud, a Furious Fred is great but if there is the lightest hint of wet (like you sneezing) its rubbish off road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    continental race king is a another option quick rolling but not great on wet/muddy off road.

I had one on bike recently until I changed it due to being worn and found it was a good compromise for road riding but then still have some grip off road I was using it on beat up canal gravely paths to and from work.
  • adamCCC
    adamCCC Posts: 26
    thanks folks :)