How to go faster?

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,146
edited June 2015 in Commuting general
My commute is 20 miles each way at the moment, mostly flat . I tend to drive half way 2 days a week otherwise it's a bit much.

I'm currently doing it between 1hr05m and 1hr10m which isn't bad, but I've been doing that kind of pace all through the winter and I want to be breaking the magic 1 hour mark.

I find that I really struggle with the first 7-10 miles, particularly going up even modest gradients. After that I'm happily pedaling along at 20-25 mph on the flat and loving it.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can (sensibly) get faster over the first few miles? I don't really want to be doing 15 minutes warning up on rollers or necking energy gels at 6:30 in the morning.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you eat before you set off?

I sit down to breakfast (just cereals and fruit juice) about 30 mins before setting off and only need about 1/2 mile to get up to speed, but if you haven't eaten anything at all you may not have a ready blood sugar content.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Have you looked at a Strava sort of ap and got a rough idea of your power output? It is possible that eg the hills are just a bit more unfavourable than you imagine; having a look at (even a badly estimated power output) will confirm either that your power is coming only after a good 20 minutes warm up OR that the roads for the first 7 miles or so are not as even as you think.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    I have a slice of toast and a cup of black tea while I'm pushing my backpack and getting my bike out (10 mins before I go).

I copied my rides from strava onto veloviewer and looked at the average power. If I split it at 6/14 miles is about the same in each bit. If i split it at 8/12 miles, or 10/10 miles then per in the second part is about 20w more.

I need the car at work tomorrow, so I'll have breakfast and go for a ride when I park up which will give about 30 mins from breakfast to riding and see if it helps.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I have a slice of toast and a cup of black tea while I'm pushing my backpack and getting my bike out (10 mins before I go).

I copied my rides from strava onto veloviewer and looked at the average power. If I split it at 6/14 miles is about the same in each bit. If i split it at 8/12 miles, or 10/10 miles then per in the second part is about 20w more.

I need the car at work tomorrow, so I'll have breakfast and go for a ride when I park up which will give about 30 mins from breakfast to riding and see if it helps.

Bit of instant energy needed - banana, dried fruit? And by the way - good going on the speed; the roads I cycle on preclude averaging 40kph - but I am not sure I could do it first thing in the morning anyway even if they cleared the roads for me :-)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Take clothes etc to work in the car or on your half-biking days, so you aren't carrying a backpack.

Toast & black coffee isn't giving you much energy - cereal (porridge, weetabix etc) with milk & sugar is. At least try something on toast like marmalade or cheese.

Fit tribars. My 20.8m commute takes 1:03 - 1:15 depending on many variables, PBs are 59:56 when I just went for it from the off, and 56:35 doing the same but with tribars in place. The commute is a TT, may as well treat it like one.