New Helmet - any recommendations?

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for a new helmet for my commute...

Would like it to be light and sturdy. Not too bothered about ventilation (will use all year round, so nice to be well ventilated for summer as would use a beanie underneath when it gets colder anyway).

Ideally less than 50 quid. There seem to be a lot on (say) wiggle that are over this price, but not sure what you're really getting as you pay more? looks? lighter? more aero?

anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Try lots on.

Suddenly one feels better than the rest - then either feel relieved that it isn't an expensive one or peeved cos it costs more than your bike. The more expensive tend to be the lighter, the greater the range of sizes, the better build quality, the amount of shiny covered foam rather than dull black foam, the better the adjustment of the fit
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You won't get a lot more useful stuff for your money by spending loads. They're 20 pence of styrofoam with a plastic shell.

More expensive ones usually end up looking better, but the right one for you is the one that fits your head best, so try lots. As said above, the more expensive ones tend to have a more adjustable fit.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Try lots on.

Suddenly one feels better than the rest -

This.

Unless you have particular favourite pro riders who you want to emulate, in which case ,you've decided already.

51128599a4ee09b86d6a4e9d01e86297.jpg
  • I bought the Giro Foray recently for £40 from Millets online of all places. Use it as my commuter lid. Fits well, good ventilation and doesn't have the spoiler on the back. Comes in quite a few colour options too. Also doesn't give me the mushroom head look either! Worth a try I'd say but probably best to try one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still using my Boardman helmet for commuting more than 4 years on, maintains its apeparance well, and the replacement pads are pretty cheap!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My rec would be to spend a tenner at prendas on 3 cycling caps and wear them under your helmet. Saves it stinking and the pads wearing ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Out of interest, sparked by the Rookie's post, anyone know what the deal is with when to change helmets?

Obviously change them when they're cracked, but I know that a lot of plastics deteriorate over time and with exposure to sunlight (thinking back to my materials science modules at uni). I now work in civils and construction (I don't drive a tipper lorry in London) where hard hats should be replaced every couple of years or so (they have date of manufacture on so you know when to change).

Is this an issue with cycling helmets?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Out of interest, sparked by the Rookie's post, anyone know what the deal is with when to change helmets?

Obviously change them when they're cracked, but I know that a lot of plastics deteriorate over time and with exposure to sunlight (thinking back to my materials science modules at uni). I now work in civils and construction (I don't drive a tipper lorry in London) where hard hats should be replaced every couple of years or so (they have date of manufacture on so you know when to change).

Is this an issue with cycling helmets?

Supposedly, yes. They're generally expected to last about 4-5 years (and are date stamped).

Of course, is that 4-5 years of being in the constant sun, or 4-5 years of commuting at the beginning and end of the day, mostly 5 days a week?

I accept that plastic degrades from sunshine, but I think the 4-5 years "lifespan" is a nonsense. My view is based entirely on cynicism.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Whenever it smells too much and looks rubbish ;)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I'm looking for a new helmet for my commute...

Would like it to be light and sturdy. Not too bothered about ventilation (will use all year round, so nice to be well ventilated for summer as would use a beanie underneath when it gets colder anyway).

Ideally less than 50 quid. There seem to be a lot on (say) wiggle that are over this price, but not sure what you're really getting as you pay more? looks? lighter? more aero?

anyone got any recommendations?

agree with the lots on.

rather depends on what style/type your going for.

for commuting I have a Bern (piss pot type) helmet that does heat up a touch in summer but is comfortable and the built in peak keeps the worse of the rain off your face.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    If you are a shop looking to sell a lid it is 1-2 years!

I have an old helmet a Giro skyline original model in the cupboard somewhere. Barely seen the light of day if you want it but it will need a cap under it as the pads have disintegrated. Another MET helmet that is still good after 20 plus years. Well I would not want to test it out but it doesn;t look degraded much. Not all damage is visible I guess.

In case you can't guess I go through a 10 year buying cycle for helmets. After about 10 years I feel I need a new helmet so i buy a good one and then get fed up wearing them so they get cupboard space for about9 years and 11 months until the next buying cycle.

On a serious note. My next cupboard helmet is going to be a £30 specialized purely because it fits my head better than any other helmet I have tried right up to the £100+ ones.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    When I started riding further and into the city I wanted to buy a helmet.

Went into my local Decathlon and tried several different models at different prices.

The one that fitted best, and was most comfy, and looked OK, was an earlier version of this one.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-bike-helmet-grey-white-id_8242522.html

Actually for me, it was a better fit, more comfy and better looking than the more expensive ones.

IMHO, fit and staying in place, is probably more important in terms of safety than any other benefits that might come with a more costly model.

Had it over a year now, It's well ventilated, cool in the summer and with a Buff under it, fine in the winter.

Only thing I would like different is a slightly bigger peak on it. I could wear a cap underneath, but....I Don't.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    if you are still looking - and if your idea of cheap is under 100 pounds (mine isnt) then there was a review
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/six-of-the-best-road-cycling-helmets-for-less-than-100.html#4W4CoA0meYbOo57J.97

I would still say as per my first response - try lots on. BTW - my expensive Giro Helmet received as a present 16 months ago has just broken! So price is no guarantee of quality - you can delete that from my first post.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still using my Boardman helmet for commuting more than 4 years on, maintains its apeparance well, and the replacement pads are pretty cheap!
    Ignore this, they have stopped doing pads, they don't even do pads for the new helmets they sell with replaceable pads! MORONS (noting that Halfords now own Boardman bikes).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    A very personal choice as has already been alluded too.

Specialized fit me, but Giro do not.

The Spesh I use for MTB, but for the road I have been wearing Rudy Project, however recently I bought a Lazer Genesis helmet, and was very impressed with the quality and fit for my head.
    And they can be nabbed for £60-£70 at the mo, instead of the RRP of around £120ish IIRC.
    I also bought an aeroshell cover for one of the two I ended up buying, for when I start TT-ing, and if you want such a thing there is a 'winter liner' available for the colder months.

This was one of the reviews that persuaded me to give it a go:
    http://www.averagecyclist.com/2013/08/review-lazer-genesis-helmet.html

Along with another BR member on here who replied to one of my posts and was very complimentary about it.
    Not that this is a consideration or reason, but the British track cycling team have recently switched to Lazer too.

Koo bikes was the cheapest when I was looking, but think there might be some other options out there now.

I've bought loads of helmets online to try, I can never find a shop with enough choice, and I either choose a retailer with free returns (Koo Bikes, Wiggle, CRC, Wheelies) or I am prepared to take the hit of around £5 to send one back if it's from somewhere else.

Helmets I have personally tried that did not work for me include the Kask Vertigo (?) and MET Stradivarius.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    Thanks for all the replies - didn't think helmets were that different, so hadn't realised that trying them on was the best course of action :oops:

Ended up going for a garneau 'le tour' from evans ... just under 35 quid, fits OK, and adjustable for when I need something underneath in winter. Wore it on commute home last night and way in this morning - seems hot, but guess that's just the heatwave ! Unfortunately 'test drives' are probably not available, so trying it on in the shop is the best you can do.

Oh yes, and now need to order some spare pads while the helmet is still 'current' as that ended up being a problem with my last one. ... although not sure if the straps will get sweaty, and if so whether anything can be done about that.