Off season football (Transfers)

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited June 2015 in The bottom bracket
So any thoughts from those who pay attention. Somewhere to discuss and for Stevo to continue bragging until Falcao crashes and burns (or hits 20+)

I can't say much about Ings, except potential and adds to loads of strikers LFC have.
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    My money is on Falcao being a flop. I don't think Chelsea can afford to give him time to come good so unless he hits the ground running he isn't going to get the game time to really get back to his best.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Chelsea play the same way as Man Utd (4-2-3-1).

Are Oscar, Hazard etc better as the 3 than Mata, Rooney, Di Maria etc - not materially so IMO and all of them are close to World class

QED Falcao was the problem at Man Utd and he will continue to flop at Chelsea

If they need a replacement for Drogba there are better and cheaper options available
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,382
    Harry Kane has said he will be starting the new season at Spurs . . . any guesses as to where he'll end it??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

QED Falcao was the problem at Man Utd and he will continue to flop at Chelsea

Duly noted.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Falcao is an odd transfer to my mind, he was vocal about not getting chances at Man Utd but he won't be getting them at Chelsea unless Costa is leaving or they are suddenly going to play 2 up front. Or are they going to try and work him into a 5 man midfield?

William Carvalho is rumoured to being chased by a lot of European clubs, a few English ones amongst them and he looked one hell of a player the other night for the Portuguese U21 team. Not a guarantee he'll make it at a top team but you could see why a lot of clubs are chasing him.
  • cornerblock
    Falcao is an odd transfer to my mind, he was vocal about not getting chances at Man Utd but he won't be getting them at Chelsea unless Costa is leaving or they are suddenly going to play 2 up front. Or are they going to try and work him into a 5 man midfield?

Of course he would get opportunities at Chelsea. I mean it's not as if Costa is the type to not miss games, either through injury or suspension. You just know there will be another Can type pretending that they've been maimed. It'll give Sky another chance to run their 'Costa crimes' witch hunt campaign! Can you tell it still rankles? Grrr! Also with Didier gone there is ample opportunities for a 2nd/3rd choice striker. I mean Drogba and Remy scored plenty of important goals on the way to the title and cup victories. I'd sooner trust Jose's judgement than some football fans on a cycling forum. No offence. :wink:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Your anti-Mourinho paranoia is getting the better of you, I wasn't questioning it from Chelsea's end but from the players viewpoint. He was apparantly unhappy not playing every week but then shifts to another club where he's unlikely to be playing every week, especially in the big games if Costa is fit. But hey it's his career so it's his choice.
  • cornerblock
    No paranoia I can quite assure you. Just stating that he would be given opportunities at Chelsea, how he takes them is up to him. I think he's had a season of frustration at Old Trafford. He's been a superb player who's now trying to rediscover his form after a nasty injury and probably just wants to get back to the level he was at before, and felt as much frustration at not playing as he did at not quite capturing that level. I see a move for him to Chelsea as a good thing all round. He will accept that at a club like Chelsea he will have to play second fiddle and Chelsea get the potential of a player getting back to a level of performance that was world class, (witnessed at close quarters when he destroyed us!) without the commitment of a long contract, think Torres!!! Win win. A bit like our two victories against Man U next season! :wink:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    No paranoia I can quite assure you. Just stating that he would be given opportunities at Chelsea, how he takes them is up to him. I think he's had a season of frustration at Old Trafford. He's been a superb player who's now trying to rediscover his form after a nasty injury and probably just wants to get back to the level he was at before, and felt as much frustration at not playing as he did at not quite capturing that level. I see a move for him to Chelsea as a good thing all round. He will accept that at a club like Chelsea he will have to play second fiddle and Chelsea get the potential of a player getting back to a level of performance that was world class, (witnessed at close quarters when he destroyed us!) without the commitment of a long contract, think Torres!!! Win win. A bit like our two victories against Man U next season! :wink:

I agree with most of that. Nothing to lose really. Potentially a top class striker to challenge Costa. Even without dislodging Costa he'll still get games. If he doesn't work out, no biggy, everyone moves on.

I can also see morinho getting immense satisfaction in turning a player around whom LVG discarded too
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    You should be a Cherries supporter. They seem not to be able to sign any of the marginal Prem players they have been linked with (bar Artur Boruc). My thoughts are that they should be looking at young Championship players that want to improve and prove themselves under the coaching of Howe. Recently linked with Luke Garbutt (Everton), but looks like he is resigning, but maybe get him on loan for season.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • You should be a Cherries supporter. They seem not to be able to sign any of the marginal Prem players they have been linked with (bar Artur Boruc). My thoughts are that they should be looking at young Championship players that want to improve and prove themselves under the coaching of Howe. Recently linked with Luke Garbutt (Everton), but looks like he is resigning, but maybe get him on loan for season.

Garbutt is a great prospect - hopefully he will sign a new contract at Everton as per the rumour mill. I think he was concerned about being behind Baines and Oviedo in the pecking order for left back. If you get him on loan for the season I'm sure all parties will benefit from the arrangement.
  • mr_goo
    You should be a Cherries supporter. They seem not to be able to sign any of the marginal Prem players they have been linked with (bar Artur Boruc). My thoughts are that they should be looking at young Championship players that want to improve and prove themselves under the coaching of Howe. Recently linked with Luke Garbutt (Everton), but looks like he is resigning, but maybe get him on loan for season.

Garbutt is a great prospect - hopefully he will sign a new contract at Everton as per the rumour mill. I think he was concerned about being behind Baines and Oviedo in the pecking order for left back. If you get him on loan for the season I'm sure all parties will benefit from the arrangement.

And if the rumours are true, this excellent prospect will be offset by the signing of Distin aged 37!! on a rumoured £40k per week!!!!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • You should be a Cherries supporter. They seem not to be able to sign any of the marginal Prem players they have been linked with (bar Artur Boruc). My thoughts are that they should be looking at young Championship players that want to improve and prove themselves under the coaching of Howe. Recently linked with Luke Garbutt (Everton), but looks like he is resigning, but maybe get him on loan for season.

And if the rumours are true, this excellent prospect will be offset by the signing of Distin aged 37!! on a rumoured £40k per week!!!!

TBF I think Distan is a David Weir type character (left Everton at something like 38 on a free to Rangers and played into his forties almost) whose a bit sharper in the head dept. than most footballers, he's certainly kept himself very fit. I would have thought he was great fit for a championship team trying to get into the Prem rather than a newly promoted one but again from what I hear he's a top pro who will be good to have around the club. Not sure if that's worth 40k but that's the modern game in the Prem I'm afraid.
  • Flâneur
    Distin ain't a bad bit of experience to have show up, as noted above what is 40k in the modern game? Generous but I would guess a pay cut for him. For players of a certain age I'd be inclined for base salary plus a heavy pay as you play (wouldn't work too well though)

The Ramos rumours are a joke. I'd value De Gea at more. But given the number of teams that need a good CB I'd go looking at Hummels, Godin or Varane
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Distin ain't a bad bit of experience to have show up, as noted above what is 40k in the modern game? Generous but I would guess a pay cut for him. For players of a certain age I'd be inclined for base salary plus a heavy pay as you play (wouldn't work too well though)

The Ramos rumours are a joke. I'd value De Gea at more. But given the number of teams that need a good CB I'd go looking at Hummels, Godin or Varane

Yeah I think pay as you play obv suits clubs more than players so it's a tough sell.

Totally agree with regards De Gea. On a day when terry suggested Peter Cech was worth 10-15 points a season, goalkeepers just don't command the same fees as outfield players.

Not sure Hummels or Varane are realistic targets although I'm surprised Hummels seems so loyal to Dortmund, maybe that changes as the summer goes on? Really can't see real selling Varane. I like godin. Good combo of heart, brains and versatility. I think Micah Richards to villa is good business. Maybe I'm overating him, but I think he's a much more convincing centre half than right back.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • cornerblock
    Thanks for the good times Petr, best goalie we've ever had. Sad that he's gone, especially to that lot , still could have been worse, he could have gone to a title rival.
  • mr_goo

Yeah I think pay as you play obv suits clubs more than players so it's a tough sell.

Totally agree with regards De Gea. On a day when terry suggested Peter Cech was worth 10-15 points a season, goalkeepers just don't command the same fees as outfield players.

Not sure Hummels or Varane are realistic targets although I'm surprised Hummels seems so loyal to Dortmund, maybe that changes as the summer goes on? Really can't see real selling Varane. I like godin. Good combo of heart, brains and versatility. I think Micah Richards to villa is good business. Maybe I'm overating him, but I think he's a much more convincing centre half than right back.

Maybe the reason Hummels and many other German footballers stay loyal to the Bundesliga is that the quality of life in Germany is pretty damned good. They may not earn the £100s k per week, but they are probably happy with their lot, that's what counts in my opinion.
  • Liverpoo splashing the cash again, they could make 5th again next season.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Flâneur
    It's fine, Sterling will stay and spit his dummy out all season.

No idea how good this kid will be but hey something new and maybe exciting
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Moved by request so all the football stuff is in one place.
  • mr_goo
    Cherries coughing up £8M on Mings from Ipswich! Good to see the Russian mafia funding stupid money signings. Eddie Howe will be wearing concrete boots on a little fishing trip off Sandbanks if this spending spree goes t1t5 up.