Front of shoes rubbing wheels

DavidfromWarboys
DavidfromWarboys Posts: 80
edited June 2015 in Road beginners
Should the front of my spd sl shoes ever rub the front tyre? I'd noticed it happen a couple times on mine, just a quick scuff. The other day I test rode a mate's Canyon and nearly came off the bloody thing whilst barely moving because I turned the wheel and hit my shoe!!

I don't think such a situation would occur whilst riding fast as we lean more and only turn the wheel slightly but does this suggest I have my shoes set up wrong?

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Toe overlap, you get it on smaller frames or bikes with a short wheelbase. Only happens at low speed.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yep - tends to be an issue on smaller frames more than larger ones.

Some people really can't cope with it, most don't worry and learn to adapt.

If your shoes are right for pedalling, then a bit of toe overlap is not a big compromise.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have this. It's not unusual. It's only a minor issue when moving very slowly os when stopped. When moving above a slow speed it is a non issue as if you moved the front wheen to achieve toe overlap you would end up going over the handlebars.
  • Thanks guys, thought so :-)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Ah, the joys of being short eh?

You'll get used to it & stop doing it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Quoted by Tolkien as the reason why Frodo didn't cycle to Mordor... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    It's not just shorty's, I get it on my 55cm Look 695 (I'm 6ft) but as has been said, it's only when turning tightly at slow speed, occasionally catches me out as my other similar sized frames don't have it as they're a more laid back geometry